A Monster Calls (2016)

Tools    

A Monster Calls is an upcoming 2016 Spanish-British-American fantasy drama film directed by J. A. Bayona (The Orphanage, 2007), based on the 2011 novel of the same name by Patrick Ness, who also wrote the screenplay and based on an original idea by Siobhan Dowd. The film stars Sigourney Weaver, Felicity Jones, Toby Kebbell, Lewis MacDougall, and Liam Neeson. The film is scheduled to be released on October 14, 2016, by Focus Features.

I'm personally looking forward to this. I read the YA novel from which it was based on not too long ago and enjoyed it. With it's great theme, it had potential to be perfect, however, but semi-lackluster dialogue and prose (with the exception of the Monster's dialogue which was great) and a "not the best" protagonist diminished the experience for me. It was still pretty good, but not the masterpiece most called it. Here's hoping the movie with fix those problems and it does become the masterpiece that it is called. The author of the original novel, Patrick Ness, wrote the screenplay so there is a chance the dialogue hasn't improved immensely, but with additional editing, it probably was improved.

So what do you think? If this movie becomes a critical success, I'm calling for this film to be nominated for a few oscars, going based on the awards the novel won alone.

I have to return some videotapes...
I'm interested because the director has done a couple good things in the past and I am always interested when Neeson takes his career seriously.