Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (2017)

Tools    

The Dark Knight Rises was badly written, but you'd have to make a case for Inception, Insomnia, or Memento to call Nolan out specifically.

Originally Posted by neiba
and his endings are more than often forced so everyone can understand what he meant. It may be good mainstream, but it's mainstream.
I see, so we're denigrating Nolan's movies as mainstream because they're comprehensible. Gotcha.

I can see how this little rationalization works, you like the high concept, but you prefer to guess at what it means than actually know what it means. That's why you call it "empty of content" because you front-load the word "content" to mean whatever you can loosely infer from the narrative without contradiction.

Originally Posted by neiba
How would you describe 2001: A Space Odissey in comparison to Interstellar, for example?
Exactly.

This is thick, I can't understand how anyone comes into this mindset without gross pretension.

Tom Hardy(actor) + Chris Nolan(Director)+ Hans Zimmer(Music) can't get better than this really excited about this one

Madness is the emergency exit…
I do absolutely love his best ones like Memento, The Prestige, TDK and Inception but one thing about Nolan sometime kinda makes me wonder that why he occasionally use this "all hell broke loose" type of approach in his films near the end of a finale...(i.e. TDK, Inception & TDKR)?! This thing only perfectly worked in TDK, IMO and for a superhero or that kind of a movie it was alright (though in TDKR & to some extent even in Inception also, I thought it was overdone) but other than that, to me sometime it felt like an unnecessary attribute for the sort of films he makes or the stories he handles.

Intersteller
was a big letdown for me. Yeah...no question about striking imagery & how it wonderfully depicts the wormhole journey & some other ideas of Kip Thorne's theory but probably because I was expecting some kind of an intense sci-fi thriller (i.e. Event Horizon, Alien etc.) from him rather than a bit documentary like dull sic-fi drama. May be it was because of flat characterization or a very simple plot that felt more suitable for a short story treatment for a magazine than a big budget studio movie but I really didn't care about the mission on whether they eventually succeed or fails at the end. There wasn't much exciting or gripping elements or threats/challenge in the film; just this some kind of a void or emptiness in it or may at best a loose anticipation of some exciting things to happen but never delivered.

Still, I'm excited for Dunkirk, as this is going to be his first WAR movie and just for that reason only, very much looking forward to it. Hope unlike Intersteller, this will really going to be something that rightfully earn the word 'Epic' in its success.

I didn't finish Interstellar. Somewhere around the point when Matthew's in his house explaining some invisible phenomenon in technobabble I thoroughly checked out.

So far so good, but I'll have to see more than a trailer before I give it a yea or nay.

it looks super sick

dont know why people are hating on interstellar its one of my favorite movies of all time. also i really hate the choice of casting a pop singer in a serious movie like this. especially the one with the weirdest hair.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm no Nolan fan--never was, never will be--but this film does interest me somewhat. I'm primarily interested in how he'll showcase the violence of war. I have a feeling that he might be aiming for an audience accessible PG-13, but I could be way off with that assumption.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

My immediate thought from the poster was...Star Trek Into Darkness.

Suspect's Reviews

This might just do nobody any good.

My immediate thought from the poster was...Star Trek Into Darkness.
Nolan likes his "shot from behind" posters.

Excited for this.
Although not too keen on Tom Hardy and Harry Styles being part of the cast

On paper this sounds awesome!

But the trailer left me remarkably unimpressed.