Selling Out

Tools    

I was listening to a podcast earlier that discussed the actors and actresses doing adverts, selling perfume in their name and doing things to show off clothes etc. Now I personally have no real problem with it, if they want to do so let them do it, it doesn't affect me and it doesn't alter my opinion of them or their skills.

Everyone has to make money somehow and hell, if someone said to me "we will pay you a lot of money to have your name on a brand and all you have to do is say the name of the product for ten seconds" I would jump at the chance, who wouldn't?

My question though is do you see doing things like as selling out? Does it really matter? Does it change your opinion of them?

As long as they are not advertising something inappropriate then I couldn't care less if they do adverts, have their name on a brand and so on.

I really don't see why anyone would have a problem to be honest...

often time i hear at news channel an actor selling their personal things and folks ready to pay them a lot of money yeah before some months one indian actor which name is Amir Khan he sell out his Bat .. What Bat ... you know Y because that bat has use in a film and that bat was his personal bat and he sale out that bat at 100K $ waooo this is great sound i can't believe them Y folks become craze for these things

As long as they are not advertising something inappropriate then I couldn't care less if they do adverts, have their name on a brand and so on.

I really don't see why anyone would have a problem to be honest...
What about if their commercial activities clash with their 'charity' work and they drop the charity? Mentioning no names, of course.

*coughscarlettjohanssoncough*

What about if their commercial activities clash with their 'charity' work and they drop the charity? Mentioning no names, of course.

*coughscarlettjohanssoncough*
ha yeah therein lies the dilemma huh?

Well, for someone who's already rich with plenty of opportunity to make plenty more, you wouldn't think so. However...

I guess I should've learned not to underestimate greed by now, but I'm a sucker.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Maybe if it's one of the weird foreign products.

Suspect's Reviews

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
As a general rule, I've always thought art should be kept within its own sphere, that letting it be used commercially taints it. Actors, in my view, aren't really artists because they don't create the work and some artists are so commercial and superficial to begin with that it doesn't matter who they lend their name and work to.

Edit: Probably should add that a sellout actor could damage his work and the work in which he participates but I think most people don't care that anybody sells out.

Actors doing ads for things is not selling out. As you said everybody needs money and that is a great effortless way to do it.

I consider selling out more like Snoop Dogg dressing up as the king of candy land in a Katy perry video. Or ice cubes are we there yet movies. I mean you huys are gangsters right??

Cthulhu's Press Officer
Not a fan of the term "Selling Out" - I think it's relative to what an individual thinks.

Bills have to be paid and careers need to be sustained, but there's a point where it becomes a joke. If an artist/celebrity is seen to be "wanting money" it comes across as negative, but it's just like anyone else; they're just in the public eye so they appear to not "need" money.