The "I've Got You Covered" Song Tournament

Tools    

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Ike and Tina Turner - Whole lotta love vs. Bananarama - Waterloo (ABBA) -

Frijid Pink-House of the Rising Sun vs. Al Green ~ How Can You Mend a Broken Heart? I like Frijid Pink's version but I live Al Green's voice

Patti Smith - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) vs. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts ~ I Love Rock & Roll - Patti Smith is great. I never like anything I hear from Joan Jett

Manfred Mann - Quinn the Eskimo vs. Elvis Presley - Yesterday - I really don't like that Yesterday with the girls chorus. Some songs are just made to be sung in a simple way not embellished with added woowooahhhahhhoooooooooo chorus. I listened to Elvis singing Hey Jude straight after Yesterday and he absolutely murders it. Elvis was such a great rock n roll singer tho. I'm sorry if you love these GBG

Joan Jett - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (AC/DC) vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground not made on either

Rare Earth-Get Ready vs. George Michael & Elton John - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

William Shatner - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds vs. Girls Aloud-Beneath your beautiful Great stuff comes out of BBC radio's live lounge. Enjoyed that Girls Alound song.

Seasons After ~ Cry Little Sister vs. Johnny Cash - Redemption Day I like the other song but mine's better

You need to do what we do - if the wife gets a germ she has to go live in the shed until it's gone and if I get a germ she has to go live in the shed until it's gone
You're that little goober man from the Mucinex commercial, now aren't you!?!

You're that little goober man from the Mucinex commercial, now aren't you!?!
Nope - s'not me

DAY 1 WiNNERS
Aretha Franklin ~ Respect
*The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional)
The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis)
Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group)
Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer)
The Wallflowers - Heroes
Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John)
*Oasis - My Generation

* - ties broken
DAY 2 WINNERS
Ike and Tina Turner - Whole lotta love
Frijid Pink-House of the Rising Sun
Patti Smith - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
Elvis Presley - Yesterday
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
George Michael & Elton John - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
William Shatner - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Johnny Cash - Redemption Day

Day 1 losers
George Canyon - Ring Of Fire
*Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down
Collin Raye - Blackbird
Faith No More - Easy
Tom Russell - Fire
The Beatles - Twist and Shout
LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode)
*The Sundays-Wild horses

* - ties broken
Day 2 losers
Bananarama - Waterloo (ABBA)
Al Green ~ How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts ~ I Love Rock & Roll
Manfred Mann - Quinn the Eskimo
Joan Jett - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (AC/DC)
Rare Earth-Get Ready
Girls Aloud-Beneath your beautiful
Seasons After ~ Cry Little Sister

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

The Weeknd - D.D. (Michael Jackson) vs. Shakira-Dude looks like a lady...The MJ song rocks, I love that one. I hate Dude Looks Like A Lady no matter who does it, but at least Shakira did a better version than Aerosmith.

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) vs. Cody Jinks - The Way I Am (Merle Haggard)...Great cover of Tainted Love

Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die vs. Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House...Tom Jones is the best, love that one!

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World vs. Electro Deluxe - Stayin Alive Cover (Bee Gees)...The singer flaying his arms around drove me crazy, but I do love the cover and this ain't about the video

Nadine Coyle-Fields of gold
vs. Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Junior Parker - Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles) vs. Cream - Crossroads...Creams' Crossroads was a cover? I learn stuff everyday

Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band - Kaw-Liga (Hank Williams) vs. Hunter Hayes (4 years old) - Jambalaya...How can I not vote for a 4 year old accordion player!

Devo - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones) vs. Aerosmith-Walking in the Sand....I really, really dislike Aerosmith, sorry to whoever picked that song.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ROUND 1 - DAY 3

The Weeknd - D.D. (Michael Jackson) vs. Shakira-Dude looks like a lady

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) vs. Cody Jinks - The Way I Am (Merle Haggard)

Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die vs. Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World vs. Electro Deluxe - Stayin Alive Cover (Bee Gees)

Nadine Coyle-Fields of Gold vs. Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Junior Parker - Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles) vs. Cream - Crossroads

Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band - Kaw-Liga (Hank Williams) vs. Hunter Hayes (4 years old) - Jambalaya

Devo - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones) vs. Aerosmith-Walking in the Sand

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ROUND 1 - DAY 3

Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band - Kaw-Liga (Hank Williams) vs. Hunter Hayes (4 years old) - Jambalaya...How can I not vote for a 4 year old accordion player!

That 4-year old accordion player is now a very popular 25-year old country music singer-songwriter who can play more than 30 instruments.

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) vs. Cody Jinks - The Way I Am (Merle Haggard)

Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die vs. Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World vs. Electro Deluxe - Stayin Alive Cover (Bee Gees)

Nadine Coyle-Fields of gold vs. Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band - Kaw-Liga (Hank Williams) vs. Hunter Hayes (4 years old) - Jambalaya

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

Nadine Coyle-Fields of Gold vs. Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

Creedence Clearwater Revival-I Heard it Through the Grapevine vs. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Lead Belly)-Possibly my favorite CCR song, and a song I love to listen to loud. I love it even more than the brilliant original.

Van Halen-You Really Got Me vs. Ed sheran-dirrty-I didn't mind the second but this is a big contrast in style for me.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cotton Fields (Lead Belly) vs. The Rolling Stones-It's All Over Now-The second is an underrated song from my favorite band. I probably wouldn't have nominated it if I had to do it all over again, as I now realize I prefer listening to covers that are not the definitive version of the song. I liked the first too, but not quite enough to flip.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower vs. Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On-The first is a good classic, but I've been sick of it for years and I don't think it's special after the first 30 seconds. I absolutely love the second song and I almost never hear it. I definitely would have nominated it had it occured to me.

Chris Cornell - Billie Jean vs. 30 seconds to mars-stay-I must say the first was pretty good. The first wasn't bad.

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes (Jackie DeShannon) vs. Adam Lambert - Mad World-This was a tough choice. I didn't know the first was a cover, and I just like the song more. I was watching American Idol the night Adam Lambert did that song, and I thought it was great then. He should have won, and I stopped watching the show because the wrong people kept winning.

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody vs. Madcon - Beggin'-I don't really think of the first as a cover, and I've gotten sick of it since Ghost, but there's a big quality difference in this match. The second isn't bad until the other guy interrupts.

Pixie Lott-Wake me up vs. Clint Black - Desperado-I've never loved the original Desperado, but I'd have to be someone else to like that first song.

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

Creedence Clearwater Revival-I Heard it Through the Grapevine vs. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Lead Belly)

Van Halen-You Really Got Me vs. Ed sheran-dirrty

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cotton Fields (Lead Belly) vs. The Rolling Stones-It's All Over Now

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower vs. Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On

Chris Cornell - Billie Jean vs. 30 seconds to mars-stay

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes (Jackie DeShannon) vs. Adam Lambert - Mad World

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody vs. Madcon - Beggin'

Pixie Lott-Wake me up vs. Clint Black - Desperado

The Weeknd - D.D. (Michael Jackson) vs. Shakira-Dude looks like a lady . That's a great MJ cover. Not heard that before

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) vs. Cody Jinks - The Way I Am (Merle Haggard) not mad on MM. I like Soft Cell's version more, and Cody Jinks has a great voice

Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die vs. Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House ah Tom, I love him!

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World vs. Electro Deluxe - Stayin Alive Cover (Bee Gees) Didn't like the geezer singing but love the big band

Junior Parker - Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles) vs. Cream - Crossroads - this was the toughest choice in all the rounds yet. Crossroads is a classic, but Junior Parker is more my trip

Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band - Kaw-Liga (Hank Williams) vs. Hunter Hayes (4 years old) - Jambalaya the kid is so cute, but the singer (it is Jayke is it?) has a great voice

I'm surprised you voted Guns N Roses over Tom Jones, it's cool, just not what I would have expected.

Pixie Lott-Wake me up vs. Clint Black - Desperado-I've never loved the original Desperado, but I'd have to be someone else to like that first song.
haha! Crick that made me laugh!

Round 4

Creedence Clearwater Revival-I Heard it Through the Grapevine vs. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Lead Belly) Both of these are good. Hard choice

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cotton Fields (Lead Belly) vs. The Rolling Stones-It's All Over Now both good too

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower vs. Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On Really? Did this have to happen? This is one of my best choices and my best vid. Look at those guys, they're so into it...(well so into something) versus the best cover of all time. Jimi, you know I love you but I'm going with my choice here. Psychedelia! Chyp made me do moral dilemma

Chris Cornell - Billie Jean vs. 30 seconds to mars-stay that's a really good stripped back version of Billie Jean. Nice choice. The other one is good too

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody vs. Madcon - Beggin' Love this version of Beggin' - loads of fun

Pixie Lott-Wake me up vs. Clint Black - Desperado - could've gone either way here but Pixie has a sweet way with this song

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

Creedence Clearwater Revival-I Heard it Through the Grapevine vs. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Lead Belly)

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cotton Fields (Lead Belly) vs. The Rolling Stones-It's All Over Now...It's a Lead Belly type of day!

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower vs. Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On

Chris Cornell - Billie Jean
vs. 30 seconds to mars-stay

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody vs. Madcon - Beggin'
Link for Madcon Beggin didn't work in the USA, I found another

Pixie Lott-Wake me up vs. Clint Black - Desperado