Future of the DC Extended Universe

Tools    

Now we all know the DCEU hasn't satisfied everyone, but I'd like to know how you guys feel about it. Do you still think it can redeem itself? Do you still want to see WW and JL? Any characters you want to see in this universe? Actors/actresses you want to see in this universe? Story arcs you'd like to see? Etc

I'm not terribly interested in Wonder Woman. I'm moderately interested in Justice League. I think it can be "saved" in the sense that they can still make good movies, but they can't re-do the foundation, so to speak. They've missed their chance at doing a really good, really gradual slow-burn buildup of characterization that helps these team-coming-together movies really soar. Doesn't mean it can't be good anyway, but it's not going to have all that built-in narrative support, is all.

I've only seen Man of Steel and I thought it was ok. I like that they decided to go bleaker than Marvel, but frankly, at this point I think all of their movies looks like a commitee production, and that is a real shame.

If they decided to adapt The Killing Joke, though, I'd sure want to see that!

This might just do nobody any good.
This thing is sinking. Sunk, maybe.

If they go on they need put an emphasis on their characters. It's not enough to have Batman or Superman in a movie and push each other around a bit. One thing you can't fault Marvel on is the way their characters are in constant change. That's what keeps them interesting and excited the audience when they meet.

I lost interest after Suicide Squad. I had high hopes for that one. I never bothered to see Batman v Superman.
Get a Batman toy and a Superman toy and play fight with them. You got 80% of BvS.

I'm not terribly interested in Wonder Woman. I'm moderately interested in Justice League. I think it can be "saved" in the sense that they can still make good movies, but they can't re-do the foundation, so to speak. They've missed their chance at doing a really good, really gradual slow-burn buildup of characterization that helps these team-coming-together movies really soar. Doesn't mean it can't be good anyway, but it's not going to have all that built-in narrative support, is all.
Yoda, I'm finding that you and I seem to have a lot in common--I feel the same way: the FOUNDATION is already ruined. What they're basically doing is throwing fresh linen over soiled linen rather than changing the linen. No matter WHAT they do--the foundation of this DCCU universe has been ruined. It's really not a good foundation to build upon.
My honest opinion? They should wipe the slate clean and start over again.

Get a Batman toy and a Superman toy and play fight with them. You got 80% of BvS.
He'd need to make them glare at each other for an hour, talk for another hour about nothing that makes sense, then slam them together for 5 minutes to get the true bvs effect.

This thing is sinking. Sunk, maybe.

If they go on they need put an emphasis on their characters. It's not enough to have Batman or Superman in a movie and push each other around a bit. One thing you can't fault Marvel on is the way their characters are in constant change. That's what keeps them interesting and excited the audience when they meet.

Yes, they definitely need to work on the characters more. I've always been of the opinion that they should have developed Batman and Superman more in this universe before pitting them against each other in a duel. There's little to no emotional weight behind any of it.

Now, compare that to the fight between Stark and Steve. You could FEEL their frustrations and emotions coming to a head and could empathize with BOTH of their situations. That's the mark of a well-written/well-filmed story.

The Martha solution is so much the conclusion a kid playing with toys would come to.

I think the biggest with DCeU is the how the WB always tries to meddle with the production and tries to force their thinking into their films. Almost 4 director have left their project already. And looks at the amount of movie that received hate for just being a trailer for their Extended Ver.

And i have a feeling that Wb are copying Marvel, Suicide Squad sounds a lots like an attemp to recreat the charm of GoTG and Justice League is basically The Avengers with Steppenwolf for Loki and the Mother Box for Tesseract.

Now, compare that to the fight between Stark and Steve. You could FEEL their frustrations and emotions coming to a head and could empathize with BOTH of their situations. That's the mark of a well-written/well-filmed story.
It's definitely better but I don't really think there was enough of a connection between the two to realize the full potential of that fight. I don't think the filmmakers realized that or maybe they did and decided that the "... so was I" line was enough to convince us of that notion.

But really, Tony and Steve were close aquaitences at best. Mostly bickering now and then.

A system of cells interlinked
I am that one guy on the planet that liked BvS. I liked Snyder's visual prowess, and I don't care about preserving any alleged integrity of the so-called mythology of the characters. Eisenberg was a TERRIBLE Lex, but I knew that going in and I just sort of ignored his antics. Affleck was just fine as Batman, and I enjoyed a little bit of a darker take on Superman - I also thought WW rocked. That said, I did not like Snyder's Man of Steel film, which had severe pacing issues in the second half, even if it had some interesting stuff in Smallville at the start.

I think Snyder has great vision, even if he manages to scuttle many of his films as they move along, especially Sucker Punch. I still like Watchmen the best out of all his work, but BvS has a lot of really well done stuff in it. I never saw the theatrical run, only having seen the extended cut with allegedly more Clark Kent etc. Not sure how much that changed the film, really.

I've only seen Batman v Superman and that was a massive trainwreck. Suicide Squad got terrible reviews and that means Marvel is so ahead of DC now that they would need Justice League to match the success of The Avengers if DC has any chance of getting back on track

I think the biggest with DCeU is the how the WB always tries to meddle with the production and tries to force their thinking into their films. Almost 4 director have left their project already. And looks at the amount of movie that received hate for just being a trailer for their Extended Ver.

And i have a feeling that Wb are copying Marvel, Suicide Squad sounds a lots like an attemp to recreat the charm of GoTG and Justice League is basically The Avengers with Steppenwolf for Loki and the Mother Box for Tesseract.
DC's problem is they got greedy. they saw Marvel making crazy Box Office with the Avengers and tried to skip right to it.

They thought it they just transplanted Nolans successful Batman treatment to Superman, instant bank without realizing that character doesn't work with that treatment.

Then after a lackluster reviews of MoS they figured just throw in the Bat Shaped Life Preserver. that's a guarantee of instant money.

Which is SHOULD have been, how is it possible to screw up the very first live action Batman/Superman movie with Wonder Woman thrown in to boot? that's DC's Trinity. in the golden age of comic book movies never in a million years did I imagine they'd tank that one as hard as they did.

But,it's snyder. he has zero respect for the source. this is the guy that makes up new characters for his "vision' then takes a 70+ year old icon from the source, Jimmy Olsen, and brags about how he had him shot in the head "For fun" because that pompous sports drink commercial director thinks he can improve on an established franchise with decades of success with his "vision" which, after MoS, they showed was shaky at best.

They did everything they could to Nolanize Superman. from tacking Nolans name on it all the way to adopting his more successful naming scheme. "the Dark Knight" ... "Man of Steel" Just trying to play catch up with Marvel that actually makes no sense, they shove 4 movies worth of story into one.. wouldn't it make more sense to make the 4 movies? Who cares where Marvel is, they had years of a head start so trying to catch up is pointless.

I've written about DC on here before, I am not a superhero guy in any way (kinda hate the genre) but I feel like if DC did their sh*t right I would actually be a fan. They've been doing everything wrong up to this point it seems, though I haven't seen BvS I can't see it being any good as I don't like Zack Snyder. However, the last thing I want them to do is be like Marvel - not even because I'm not a Marvel fan, but because I want them to be unique.

I think that's why I have hope Wonder Woman will be good, also because Gal Gadot seems cool as WW. I will possibly do something I never do, and go see a superhero movie in theaters, with that one.

He'd need to make them glare at each other for an hour, talk for another hour about nothing that makes sense, then slam them together for 5 minutes to get the true bvs effect.
You could also grab your sister's "Millennial Ken" Barbie doll and call it Lex Luthor.

I think it can be "saved" in the sense that they can still make good movies, but they can't re-do the foundation, so to speak. They've missed their chance at doing a really good, really gradual slow-burn buildup of characterization that helps these team-coming-together movies really soar. Doesn't mean it can't be good anyway, but it's not going to have all that built-in narrative support, is all.
Agreed. At this point, the individual movies are in a position where their connection to the larger whole is more of an anchor than a sail. Of course, that defeats the entire purpose of building a large, interconnected universe. In their zeal to get a mega-money franchise up and running as quickly as possible, WB jumped straight to a giant "vs" film featuring the two flagship characters (plus others) that should have been saved as the payoff of development threads from prior films.

You could also grab your sister's "Millennial Ken" Barbie doll and call it Lex Luthor.
Don't even get me started on Luthor. That might have easilt been one of the worst character portrayals I've ever seen.

He goes from a suave, intimidating business tycoon to some spastic geek... he's supposed to be a criminal genius, always staying one step of everyone because he's already 4 moves ahead on the chessboard and no one can ever make anything stick.

This version has some of the most ridiculous plans and everything he does leaves such an embarrassingly straight line trail to him it's laughable...

"I will hire a mercenary team to do some underhanded killing, then outfit them with special ammo that can only be gotten from me."

Okay... why? they wanted bullets that kill. Spoiler: generic untracable stuff you can get at the wal-mart KILL FFS.

"I will hand deliver this state of the art super wheelchair to this mentally unhinged person who has nothing and will obviously tell everyone he knows he got it hand built and delivered by one of the most recognizable billionaire geniuses in the world.then I will pull strings to get same mentally unhinged guy into a congressional hearing, that I am also invited to, I won't show, and his wheelchair will blow up. there's no way that could get back to me right?"

That's not even getting into his REALLY obvious first hand kidnappings and attempted murders.

Don't even get me started on Luthor. That might have easilt been one of the worst character portrayals I've ever seen.

He goes from a suave, intimidating business tycoon to some spastic geek... he's supposed to be a criminal genius, always staying one step of everyone because he's already 4 moves ahead on the chessboard and no one can ever make anything stick.

This version has some of the most ridiculous plans and everything he does leaves such an embarrassingly straight line trail to him it's laughable...

"I will hire a mercenary team to do some underhanded killing, then outfit them with special ammo that can only be gotten from me."

Okay... why? they wanted bullets that kill. Spoiler: generic untracable stuff you can get at the wal-mart KILL FFS.

"I will hand deliver this state of the art super wheelchair to this mentally unhinged person who has nothing and will obviously tell everyone he knows he got it hand built and delivered by one of the most recognizable billionaire geniuses in the world.then I will pull strings to get same mentally unhinged guy into a congressional hearing, that I am also invited to, I won't show, and his wheelchair will blow up. there's no way that could get back to me right?"

That's not even getting into his REALLY obvious first hand kidnappings and attempted murders.
Indeed, you're right. I never could understand that "Special Ammo" angle.
Of course, I also didn't understand his whole Doomsday angle. So, your plan to fight a godlike being is to...create a godlike being of your own that doesn't have a kill switch? Let's say that Doomsday kills Superman and survives the ordeal...what then? Did Lex even HAVE a method of STOPPING Doomsday once he finished handling Superman?

Agreed. At this point, the individual movies are in a position where their connection to the larger whole is more of an anchor than a sail. Of course, that defeats the entire purpose of building a large, interconnected universe. In their zeal to get a mega-money franchise up and running as quickly as possible, WB jumped straight to a giant "vs" film featuring the two flagship characters (plus others) that should have been saved as the payoff of development threads from prior films.
And look what has resulted. Also, we now have a Justice League film that is going to not ONLY deal with bringing all these characters together but is also serving to INTRODUCE and DEVELOP most of the characters for the FIRST time WHILE expecting audiences to invest and care about them.
They already tried this tactic with BVS with only THREE characters and look how THAT turned out...