Black-ish

Tools    

This new sitcom is a contemporary updating of The Cosby Show that directly addresses a lot of the issues that show should have but didn't. This show stars Anthony Anderson as a Los Angeles advertising executive who lives an extremely comfortable life with his doctor/wife (Tracee Ross Ellis), his 4 children, and his father (Laurence Fishburne). Anderson's character is afraid that his family has lost touch with their "blackness" while at work he thinks he's finally overcome the stigma of being "the black guy" until he learns he's been promoted to Senior VP of the "Urban" division. There was some very funny stuff here and the show is banking a lot on Anderson's extremely likable onscreen charisma, but I don't know if the thin premise present here is enough to sustain a long-running TV series.

Episode 2 was pretty funny, though it really didn't have anything to do with the premise that was established in the pilot, but as I said in my initial post, it's a pretty thin premise to base an entire series on. On the other hand, it is one of two new shows that have received an order for a full season so I guess it has time to work out kinks.

The Halloween episode was hysterical...loving this show for the most part, but I have to admit that I'm having issues with the mom, played by Tracie Ellis Ross...the character seems so full of herself and completely convinced that her work as a doctor trumps everything else that goes on in the world and seems to need constant validation about the importance of her work...this woman needs to get over herself.

Just finished Season 2 Episode 21. When this show premiered, I mentioned how it addresses all the subjects that The Cosby Show should have. This episode actually addressed The Cosby Show and even featured a spoof of the show's opening credits...brilliant.

They started showing this over here 3 weeks ago (season 1, ep 16 tonight). It's OK. I certainly like it, but I don't think it's anything special.

Season 3 Episode 8...this is the first episode where Rainbow (Tracie Ross Ellis) did the narration...it didn't work...they need to not do that anymore.

Just finished episode 12 called "Lemons"...this show is REALLY pushing the envelope...I like it. The script for this episode deserves an Emmy...flawless. And anyone who is not watching this show should watch this episode and see what they've been missing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've pulled a 180 on this show. I'm watching it now.

Suspect's Reviews

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i've been hoping they were going to put it on either Netflix or Amazon, since i have both! i've seen clips from this show and it looks really good.

Can anyone watching this show let me know a bit more about it? Specifically, whether or not it's more good or important, if you follow. I've definitely had people recommend it to me, but usually because they admire the way it tackles difficult issues. Would that be the main reason to watch and enjoy it, or would you say it's genuinely funny, too?

Can anyone watching this show let me know a bit more about it? Specifically, whether or not it's more good or important, if you follow. I've definitely had people recommend it to me, but usually because they admire the way it tackles difficult issues. Would that be the main reason to watch and enjoy it, or would you say it's genuinely funny, too?

I'd say it's less funny than some shows I like (Sunny in Philly, Life in Pieces, Brooklyn 99) but it has its moments. The parents are not perfect and that might be my favourite aspect of the show, how they deal with their kids.

It likes to play with race humour a lot and the difficult issues it tackles are done extremely well. The most recent episode was about Donald Trump and it was surprisingly poignant. They do make some white people come off as stupid or racist, but I don't care too much about that.

Like I mentioned earlier, it took awhile for me to get into it, but I'm a fan of the show. I wouldn't say rush out and watch it though.

Dig, thanks.

I'm interested in any show that tackles tough subjects, but yeah, being really funny is the thing that would make me start watching it immediately, rather than just checking it out when it hits Netflix or something. The wife and I are always operating at a deficit for good comedies, since you can go through them so fast, so that's mainly what I'm trawling for right now.

Then let me recommend Life in Pieces instead!!! I just discovered this show on Netflix and I was surprised at how funny it was. It's one big family and the episodes are split up into four short stories. It's kind of like Modern Family. Stars Colin Hanks and James Brolin.

I would agree there are funnier sitcoms on the air (Brooklyn Nine Nine, The Goldbergs, Mom leap to mind), but I like the way this show talks about things that haven't been addressed on sitcoms before...especially with black characters and is still funny.

Then let me recommend Life in Pieces instead!!! I just discovered this show on Netflix and I was surprised at how funny it was. It's one big family and the episodes are split up into four short stories. It's kind of like Modern Family. Stars Colin Hanks and James Brolin.
Thanks for the rec, particularly because I don't think I would've thought twice about it otherwise. I saw a tiny bit of one episode and heard the premise (which sounds interesting), but nothing about it struck me. But like I said, we need more good comedies, so we'll give that a try!

I like Life in Pieces too...James Brolin and Dianne Wiest are golden together.

I thought this show had nowhere to go but down after epi 12, but epi 13 was on the money as well...a somewhat prickly subject (blacks lack of need for therapy) and they nailed it...Mary Kay Place was terrific as the therapist.