Beowulf

→ in
Tools    

how do you rate this movie.,?

I saw Beowulf in 3-D on Friday night. First, I couldn't believe the change in 3-D glasses - they're now more stylish and look like real sunglasses. Second, I couldn't stand to watch that movie without the 3-D. OK, and without the nude fight scene involving Beowulf, even though it was practically the same thing as watching a muscular male? (no sex organ was seen on Beowulf) mannequin running around. Third, comments from around the Sexy Celebrity Crew were that this is one of the worst movies ever, others liked it, but I... I don't plan to ever see it again. Any straight man or lesbian who wants to see it for Angelina Jolie, go right ahead, but I think they should have included her in it some more, she was the most interesting aspect. I laughed every time her tentacle came out of the water to comfort Grendel.

I think my ultimate problem with the movie is that the changes aren't minor ones, and I'm left wishing that they had just made another movie altogether, call it THE CURSE OF GRENDEL'S MOTHER or something similar, and leave BEOWULF alone. I find I'm still waiting for the tale to be told on film as it is first, before beginning to play with it and turn it into something largely unrecognizable. I have a lot of respect for Neil Gaiman, but I wish he and the rest of the movie makers had made more of an effort to broaden our understanding of the tale without doing such violence to the underlying message of it. And the constant comments from critics expressing relief that it's not like the poem they were forced to read in high school says more about their bad experiences in high school English (which I don't doubt) then it does about the strengths or weaknesses of the film.

I saw Beowulf in 3-D on Friday night. First, I couldn't believe the change in 3-D glasses - they're now more stylish and look like real sunglasses. Second, I couldn't stand to watch that movie without the 3-D. OK, and without the nude fight scene involving Beowulf, even though it was practically the same thing as watching a muscular male? (no sex organ was seen on Beowulf) mannequin running around. Third, comments from around the Sexy Celebrity Crew were that this is one of the worst movies ever, others liked it, but I... I don't plan to ever see it again. Any straight man or lesbian who wants to see it for Angelina Jolie, go right ahead, but I think they should have included her in it some more, she was the most interesting aspect. I laughed every time her tentacle came out of the water to comfort Grendel.
God damn, this movie sounds retarded.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

wow, i only read the last few posts but i can't disagree more. I thought Beowulf was well written and had a great story. I've never read the poem but i've heard that it is short and hard to read anyway. The movie however was incredible. The dragon scene was worth the movie, but regardless of the effects the story was intriguing and engaging. The 3d was famous and the best i've ever witnessed. I don't know if id like to see all my movies this way but an occasional treat of 3d is not a bad thing i think. I think all haters would be brought to change had this not been animation. If animation isn't cute and cuddly then we don't seem to accept it. We'll see how Wall-E does next year i suppose. I give Beowulf 9 out of 10.

Movie Forums Critic
i love the cgi, very great film and Agelina is very hot and sexy, I like the plot of the story killing his own son....

Overall this movie was pretty mediocre and I suspect it will be soon forgotten except as another incrimental step in big budget special FX.

The good things were some of the camera movements and the 3-D effect which is always a little bit weird and groovy.

Re-Angelina: the tentacle thing was stupid but I thought the worst part was the 6-inch high heels that seemed to just be growing out of her feet. Was that supposed to be sexy? It was - to quote a certain pimp - "retarded".

Who are you asking?
Can you not sense it master?

Yes the stiletto must have been introduced long after the age of the Kings.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i'm hoping for a game to come out... the movie didn't WOW me but graphics stunned me fairly also... the story line didn't do any justice at all... still thank you for the movie though...

Yo antwon,

do you know that this movie have already a game version.,
They make a game base on this movie.,
You guys! There's a game for this!
You heard it here first.

EDIT: and you're welcome for the movie. I'm just glad you enjoyed it.

Never seen it yet but I'd like to see the movie..

I can honestly say that Beowulf was almost exactly as I thought it was going to be.

Beowulf has always been a difficult story to translate onto the screen; and that difficulty was manifested in many ways.
I was worried about another completely CG movie; and CG still has problems as the technology continues to advance.

I was concerned that Angelina Jolie would bring nothing but nudity to her role; and I was really, really right.

In short, I had lots of concerns and I was right on every case. The only huge surprise in the movie was the amount of dudity. You know, dude nudity. First we get Anthony Hopkins’ pale white butt (in 3D), then we get an “Austin Powers”-inspired bit of “let’s always keep something in front of Beowulf’s junk”.

I’m glad I saw it in theaters, probably won’t buy the DVD.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As far as Zemeckis' Beowulf goes, I nearly agree with everything Yoda said, If anything, though, I wouldn't mind it becoming the definitive version or raking in a
. It's true that the action is almost non-stop (especially in the second half), and that the visuals give you far too much to notice, Sure, it should have been rated R too, but even so, it is quite striking.

Lets put a smile on that block
As far as Zemeckis' Beowulf goes, I nearly agree with everything Yoda said, If anything, though, I wouldn't mind it becoming the definitive version or raking in a
. It's true that the action is almost non-stop (especially in the second half), and that the visuals give you far too much to notice, Sure, it should have been rated R too, but even so, it is quite striking.
Ditto.
I loved Beowulf. Very much so.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

brilliant masterpiece

Hi Pimp.... have been wondering where you were...

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this yet... it just looks stupid to me.... I sorta liked Beowulf & Grendel with Gerard Butler though...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
Here's my review of Beowulf, which I saw yesterday afternoon. I wasn't blown away, but it was genuinely exciting, and I think there's a good chance we'll end up looking back at this film as a landmark in digital filmmaking. Time will tell.

I just think that the movie was terrible. I went and saw it opening night thinking that I was going to be blown away....snore.... Now maybe terrible is a little harsh, it had its moments I suppose, but sheesh, the moments that were good were few and far between at best IMO.

No, they do use glasses but the two newer ones I've gone too ('Robinsons' and 'Nightmare') used a different sort of tinted lense while 'Sharkboy' used those older red-blue foil glasses. I'm not sure what the technical differences are but both new ones I've seen have used the 3-D effect in a much more substantial way, especially 'Robinsons'. I have high hopes for Beowulf. I'm also kind of curious to know how the 3-D and IMAX versions stack up.
I went to Hannah Montana 3-D and was really impressed. The glasses look just like normal sunglasses - black. There wasn't a lot of "flying out" stuff going on. It just looked like you were seeing it in 3-D... kind of like being there. Really innovative, neat experience.