The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Does anyone think that perhaps Obsidian will get their hands on the Fallout 4 engine? I would love another Obsidian Fallout game, they did such a fantastic job with New Vegas.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The writing on Fallout 4 was so pedestrian that, yeah, I'd like to see a better writing team get the chance with the franchise. After NV, I doubt it'd be Obsidian, however.

There's bad blood, apparently, flowing both ways between the two companies.

The PS3's finest game has, sadly, kinda ended. Girl's face has now stuck in the earth.

Noby Noby Boy, ladies and gentlemen. A game that I proudly 100%'d.

Man, I had a lovely time with Fallout 4 last night. One of those things where I think I've kinda seen most of an area, but find new stretches I hadn't seen much of at all. In this case, it was in the thicket of the downtown-type area, where I had to get up high somewhere and then realized all sorts of metal beams and impromptu bridges linked a lot of the buildings way up off the ground. Found all sorts of new stuff, and was really struck by how much there was to poke around in.

There's obviously still a bit of the everything-looks-the-same thing, but it seems way less prevalent than it was in Fallout 3 (and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas). There's a lot more personality to each area.

I'm around 100 hours now, somewhere around level 52, and I've still barely started the main quest. There's basically zero chance this won't top Fallout 3 in terms of total hours; with all the DLC, I finished around 175 hours there. I don't know if I'll pass that with what's there now, but with the DLC they eventually come out with, it seems pretty likely. That said, it can ramp down pretty quickly when you hit a critical mass of exploration, so we'll see.

A system of cells interlinked
What are you running for a proc and graphics card at this point, Yoda?

I'm using this GPU and this processor. The GPU I bought back in February and used in my previous computer, and the process I used in in building (first time) a new computer in late October.

Runs the game fine; stutters a little when I'm up really high and it's raining or something with pretty much all the settings turned up, but I'm pretty happy with the performance so far and pretty confident I'll be able to run new stuff for a fair bit.

To be fair, my 980ti/4670K can't keep Fallout 4 at a steady 60 100% of the time on Ultra. It's to do with shadow distance being borked - I dropped it down to Medium and the game ran flawlessly but bumped it back up again once this mod got released.

Link

No idea how well it runs with the updated game, though. Not touched F4 in a while.

Any issues with that 1.2 patch messing with mods? I read there's a workaround where you make the plugins file read-only, but I haven't used any yet. I actually decided to finally install a few mods...and read about the patch that very same day. That's scared me off for a bit.

Not tried the game since before 1.2 but the workaround seems pretty simple and, from what I've read, NMM edits the files for you automatically.

The one note of caution the experienced modders are saying is to be careful with mods which use plugins (.esp files) because they'll have been compiled with non-Bethesda code. The serious modding will start once they release mod tools but simple stuff like texture replacements are totally safe.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
No clue. Expect weirdness slider on max settings, scantily clad killer women, and more convolution than a four year old's stream of conscious.

I will give him credit for knowing how to make a game, but now he won't have anyone to reign him in (I imagine).

The cold hard facts are that it sold poorly on console.
Luckily the game doesn't require a fantastic gaming computer so I'll be able to play it on the pc but I'm so use to playing on the console. I'm sure I'll get use to it fast though.

Xcom 2 is only gonna be for pc, where is the justice in this world???
Computers run the world, so computers dictate justice.

Edit: I bought GTAV last week, and played it like it was crack for a few days. But there are some frustrating elements, and I often find myself daydreaming about how the game could be improved. For one thing I have lost about $100,000 in tuned cars due to them vanishing into thin air.

One time I tuned up a motorcycle, drove to a garage and purchased the garage. As soon as I purchased the garage it went to a little cut scene, and when the cut scene was over I was standing in front of the garage and my bike was gone. Cars get impounded from parking spaces too, which is dumb.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

I finally finished Until Dawn this morning and was pleased with the overall experience. It proved itself to be a perfect fit for my sporadic bouts of gaming. A week or so had passed since I turned my 4 on and I was able to jump right back into it. The game will conveniently recap itself before every start, allowing any major plot points to be refreshed.

I can't really complain about much... The targeting system is not great, but I believe that is in part to the lack of invert controls and my own shortcomings. The motion or "lack of motion" controls are suspect. At times, it seems you could throw the controller across the room and it won't move, while other times (final scene) it seems nigh impossible to remain still. Hayden Pantierre is cute, but I felt like her rump got top billing.

I realize this is suppose to be a send up of teen horror movies, so it's hard for me to tell if the inconsistencies are intentional or not. Dr. Hill starts out as such a great bit, but ends up getting lost by the end. Maybe subsequent play throughs will shed some light.

That electricity though...WTF?