The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

90. A Christmas Story- Not seen yet
89. The Decalogue- Not completed yet
88. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind- Impressive, got a little consideration for my list.
87. Beetlejuice- Sometimes charming, sometimes irritating, comes out a winner thanks to the musical stuff.
86. Shoah- MY LIST: 16- It seems crass to rate this against other movies. No film of any length could express the true enormity of the holocaust. But this invaluable historical document gets as close as is possible.
85. Heathers- Nice, nasty, probably Winona Ryder's best film.
84. Back To The Future Part II- The hoverboard alone is enough to give this a place in the culture, just as the car was for the first. Quite good, clearly less good then the first but better than the third.
83. Three Crowns Of The Sailor- Not seen yet
82. A Time To Live And A Time To Die- Not seen yet
81. Diner- Wasn't very interesting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The main difference between BttF and II is that the latter is the dark "Twilight Zone" version of the first, and thus it's not nearly as funny. Still very clever but a bit too heavy.

80. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation- Not seen yet
79. The Vanishing- MY LIST: 9-Fascinating, hugely intelligent, and one of the most skin-crawingly, unforgettably horrible films ever made.
78. Manhunter- Pretty good.
77. The Goonies- Pretty bad.
76. Wings Of Desire- Really icky and boring.
75. Dead Poets Society- Even more icky and boring.
74. A City Of Sadness - Not seen yet
73. Repo Man- One of the more stylish films of the decade, nothing else to talk about.
72. Lethal Weapon- I guess a lot of people needed filler on their lists.
71. Planes, Trains And Automobiles- Sweet.

The main difference between BttF and II is that the latter is the dark "Twilight Zone" version of the first, and thus it's not nearly as funny. Still very clever but a bit too heavy.
I dunno. I think it seemed too complicated and had too much going on. It was like a fan fiction Back to the Future story or something -- a little too much here and there. A little too much experimenting and nothing really grounded. I say the movie should have been set entirely in 2015. I read that the director didn't like filming the 2015 scenes -- he didn't have his heart in this movie. I think that part two and the Biff story is just wasteful. It was all for show and just about getting to Part III. There are non-stop references to the Old West in Part II, so it's clear they were really more excited about Part III. They wasted the opportunity to do something fun with Back to the Future II, which I think should have concentrated on a story set in the future. Imagine if their version of 2015 had been explored even more. Sure, it's all wrong, but that's what's fun about it. It's funny seeing all those flying cars in what's supposed to be only a year from now.

Yes, I know. Which makes me think even more that they didn't care much about II and cared more about III. I think Part II was made basically as a filler and they just wanted to get to part III.

Part II is the most impressive one on a technical level, in my opinion, so I don't really feel that they just made it as a filler.

Part I>Part II>>>>>>>Part III

part I and part II are very similar in comedy, and part I is just marginally better because it is more original, but i could really go either way. part III has some good moments, but it's mostly just plain dumb.

I love Lethal Weapon. Probably the best Buddy Cop movie ever made. Even all the sequels were pretty decent. Mel Gibson had so much charisma back then and it just oozed out onto the screen. Not so much anymore. Gibson and Glover were perfectly cast and played the ultimate good cop, bad cop.

Gary Busey was an awesome villain.

Lethal Weapon is your typical action movie with the all the cheap, unrealistic things going on like my personal favorite at the end when Riggs fights Joshua and the whole police force just stand by and watches.

"What do you say Jack? Would you like a shot at the title?" - Martin Riggs

I had Lethal weapon at 24 on my list.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Gibson and Glover were perfectly cast and played the ultimate good cop, bad cop.
Absolutely. Lethal Weapon may not have invented the buddy cop genre but in Riggs and Murtaugh I think they perfected it.

Recap: 80-71

80. Christmas Vacation
79. The Vanishing
78. Manhunter
77. The Goonies
76. Wings of Desire
75. Dead Poets Society
74. A City of Sadness
73. Repo Man
72. Lethal Weapon
71. Planes, Trains and Automobiles