Public Enemies

Tools    

Here's my post from the movie tab-

Gah lost my post.

Public Enemies

Starting again, the film is almost the polar opposite to the other big picture out Transformers 2 in style and tone, yet retains a lot of similarities and subsequent problems. Essentially, the film is Heat in the 1930s, pitting two of today's big stars- Depp and Bale- against each other, much like de Niro and Pacino. Depp is always watchable but doesn't seem to have invested into this character to make him interesting, while Bale is sidelined, a lot like his last few big films. There's an unconvincing romance thrown in for Depp that takes up too much time and has about as much emotional resonance as the toilet flushing. Sadly this is where much of Depp's character development is supposed to be while Bale never really gets any. When the action does explode, the lack of attachment to the characters somewhat diminishes the excitement. There are plenty of other characters but are lost in the shadow of Depp and Bale's screentime. The biggest disappointment, however, is failing to create any relationship between Bale and Depp, the two have next to no interaction to make for an exciting or tense game of cat and mouse driven by strong characters, like we had in Heat. Like his last film, Miami Vice, Mann makes good use of the realist digital shooting only here he fails to utilise a tone to accompany it; the film is just superficial- big name actors, a unique visual style but nothing behind it.

I saw it the first night.... and loved it... except for Bale... his accent was ridiculous and I did hear quiet a few snickers throughout the film when he was speaking... and he was just so blah he had me rooting for the bad guys... which is saying a lot coming from me...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

This movie went down just as I thought it would.

Johnny Depp was grossly miscast as John Dillinger. I love Johnny D. but he is not that other John D. and should never have been cast in this role. Simply being a great actor and someone everybody loves does not make you the right person for the role.

The script supposedly had many months (years even) of research behind it – and yet was a total piece of garbage. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Nothing for dialog and horrible action sequences. As far as historical accuracy – what a joke.

The camera work is some of the worst I have seen from a big name director -- not counting David Lynch’s Inland Empire – which made me cry it was so bad. I can't believe how bad the camera work was in Public Enemies - so bad it was disgusting.

Christian Bale was wasted in this film. Not a miscast – he could have been great as Purvis -- just wasted because he outclasses the director and the screenwriter. Bale is being overused and taking too many crap roles. This was one of them.

A movie about Melvin Purvis would have been a better story anyhow. Dillinger is a myth - he was a small time nobody.

Michael Mann is now officially listed in my Michael Bay column of crap director’s that keep getting big bucks to make horrible movies.

I recommend John Milius’s film, Dillinger (1973). Warren Oates gives a wonderful performance as Dillinger – much more believable. Also, John Milius is far more capable than Michael Mann as a director and writer. The 1973 Dillinger is a classic and movie to study for aspiring film makers.

I don’t know what Public Enemies is – other than a long and boring waste of time.

And if you disagree -- well, just read the next line.

Fell asleep after half the movie so i cant really comment ..