Comic book movies - can this really last?

Tools    

Do you think that comic book movies will still thrive on or will still be as good
61.11%
11 votes
yes
38.89%
7 votes
no
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

coke kills drink pepsi
Well i dont want to be ranting on but i need to know do you think comic book movies can last, I mean between the messed up story lines, and the hero always winning its starts to get boring like how everyone argues over who going to win the next versus flick its almost like the same movie hero fight bad guy hero wins. any ways i need to know so just vote thanks

A system of cells interlinked
Messed story lines? I'm not sure what you mean by that. As for always winning, In X2 there quite a few failures on the part of the team and prof X. Pyro defected, Jean got aced, Prof X failed to help Jason Stryker, which ultimately caused his demise and Gen. Strykers descent into megalomania. The X-men don't always win.

Peter Parker got his uncle killed, and I wouldn't call that a victory.

Please elaborate on "Messed story lines" so I can respond to that.

coke kills drink pepsi
Originally Posted by Sedai
Messed story lines? I'm not sure what you mean by that. As for always winning, In X2 there quite a few failures on the part of the team and prof X. Pyro defected, Jean got aced, Prof X failed to help Jason Stryker, which ultimately caused his demise and Gen. Strykers descent into megalomania. The X-men don't always win.

sorry typo at my brothers computer hand-me-downs suck anways the (messed up story line)

originaly in the spider-man comics gwen stacy was the women in peters life and they met in college and she was killed by the greengoblin im positive that if that had that happen in the first place i would have been more hooked on it you dont see that sort of thing in a movie now a days
Punishers story was a little messed up aswell and the hulks 2
the closet movie is x-men, blade, screw daredevil. what i mean is that in a comic book the vilian provails once in a while infact it a 50/50 chance that hero coould die and be replaced such when norman osburne came back after being replace by his son and many other as the role of greend goblin. But its always expected of , 1, hero has some tradegy or some great thing happen to every one is the catwoman,spiderman,x-men, blade,daredevil, the hulk,batman, . I just get tired of it a comic book collector my self

what ever happen to heros like captian america, super-man who had nothing bad happen he choose to do his line of work the avengers would make a grand movie if you ask me

coke kills drink pepsi

technicaly in the movie jean survives and is brought back as the phenix or what ever in the next movie do you see how they plan this there going to mess up the industry

Right, Singer has already stated he would like to do The Dark Phoenix Saga, and I am all for it, as I think it is one of the better X-men storylines out there. Jean has died and returned about 6 billion times through-out the history of the comics, so I guess I don't mind of they do it once in the films (OK twice, as Famke has it going on).

As for the whereabouts of Cap and Superman, they are on shelves every month in comic stores, where they have been for decades. There are already four Superman films, I would watch the first, and maybe the second, but that's it. There is another Superman film in the works and here is the latest news just two days old.

And another related piece from 3 days ago....

As to when the hero dies and Norman Osbourne came back after being replaced by his son and many others as the green goblin... Isn't that the villain being replaced? Spiderman is still Peter Parker, correct?

As for tragedies and great things happening to the hero...would you like to see them perhaps have to treat a rough case of athlete's foot or get diarrhea or something? If you mean they all have a tragedy in their life that inspires them to become a hero/villain, the X-men wouldn't fit into this group you have listed, as they are mutants, a product of the next step in the evolution of man.

One of the main underlying themes of the X-men has always been political in it's nature, addressing racism and inequity among humans. Giving the comic a heart so to speak, by addressing real, and relevant human issues. Perhaps I read to deeply into these storylines, but these are professional people creating these pieces of literature, and they have things to say about the state of the world today. That's what I look for in a comic if I am going pay for it. The cool characters and excellent artwork are also factors as well, but the writing is really what I tend to look for...

Anyway, if you are tired of the same 'ol stuff, check out some different books that have vastly different concepts in them. Check out The Watchmen, the deconstruction of the hero stereotype, written by Alan Moore, a sheer genius with mind bending writing ability that hits home.

Also check out Planetary by Warren Ellis, or Grant Morrison's run on New X-men

coke kills drink pepsi
Right, Singer has already stated he would like to do The Dark Phoenix Saga, and I am all for it, as I think it is one of the better X-men storylines out there. Jean has died and returned about 6 billion times through-out the history of the comics, so I guess I don't mind of they do it once in the films (OK twice, as Famke has it going on).

As for the whereabouts of Cap and Superman, they are on shelves every month in comic stores, where they have been for decades. There are already four Superman films, I would watch the first, and maybe the second, but that's it. There is another Superman film in the works and here is the latest news just two days old.

And another related piece from 3 days ago....

As to when the hero dies and Norman Osbourne came back after being replaced by his son and many others as the green goblin... Isn't that the villain being replaced? Spiderman is still Peter Parker, correct?

AOz
Sorry but in the clone saga, Mary jane became pregant and after peter fought off all the clones and ben reily was left, he asked him to take the role of spider-man, but ben was killed by the green goblin and peter had to once again regain the role of spider-man

As for tragedies and great things happening to the hero...would you like to see them perhaps have to treat a rough case of athlete's foot or get diarrhea or something? If you mean they all have a tragedy in their life that inspires them to become a hero/villain, the X-men wouldn't fit into this group you have listed, as they are mutants, a product of the next step in the evolution of man.

AOZ
Technically the x-men do count, but i was only looking at wolverine in the picture here. But now when you think about , rogue, cyclops, almost every one of them has a back story to some tradegy in there life , doesnt even have to be a tradegy , but it has to be something that has inspired them to fight evil. Realy though ranting on isnt going to do anything, and maybe they can last , but im not sure.

One of the main underlying themes of the X-men has always been political in it's nature, addressing racism and inequity among humans. Giving the comic a heart so to speak, by addressing real, and relevant human issues. Perhaps I read to deeply into these storylines, but these are professional people creating these pieces of literature, and they have things to say about the state of the world today. That's what I look for in a comic if I am going pay for it. The cool characters and excellent artwork are also factors as well, but the writing is really what I tend to look for...

Anyway, if you are tired of the same 'ol stuff, check out some different books that have vastly different concepts in them. Check out The Watchmen, the deconstruction of the hero stereotype, written by Alan Moore, a sheer genius with mind bending writing ability that hits home.
AOZ
thanks i will, my Uncle own a shop, ill be sure to look out for them.

Also check out Planetary by Warren Ellis, or Grant Morrison's run on New X-men
AOZ
thank sedai

Someone Save Us College Kids
Honestly i think they still can be good, even if the storylines are a little shaken doesnt mean that the movie wont be bad

In the Beginning...
To those who have never read a comic book in your lives, read this one. Alan Moore's Watchmen is flawless.

Originally Posted by Agent 0 Zero
in the spider-man comics gwen stacy was the women in peters life and they met in college and she was killed by the greengoblin im positive that if that had that happen in the first place i would have been more hooked on it you dont see that sort of thing in a movie now a days
Wasn't it Mary Jane first, then Gwen Stacy? Peter met MJ in high school, before collage.

well just like the popularity of super man, batman, and rocky movies died eventually so will the comic book movie thing but it might come back 10 or 15 years after its fall in popularity

When they can put out the special 10th aniversay addition with new scenes in it out in theatres agin

Hollywood won't stop until there are no comic book heroe's left. And they'll probably make a hell of a lot of sequels.

Nicholas Cage is doing Ghost Rider, Tome Cruise is doing Ironman, Fantastic Four is in the works, and it won't suprise me if The Silver Surfer, Thor, The Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman etc. are all made.

I'm waiting for a Modesty Blaise movie to come out!

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Parky
Hollywood won't stop until there are no comic book heroe's left. And they'll probably make a hell of a lot of sequels.
You're right, and it sucks that Hollywood is catching on to how marketable comic-to-film adaptations can be, but I honestly believe there is enough respect out there for the source material to ensure (at least, to some extent) that the really strong comic namesakes are done properly. The Punisher, for example, could translate into a VERY compelling, emotional, dynamic film (much more than the recent effort achieved); so I'm sure someone (probably a film-making fan) will come along and translate The Punisher well. Just because someone else already made it doesn't mean it's off-limits. Same thing with Batman - it's great that someone is taking that name and trying to reinvent it for the cinema, but if Batman Begins fails to impress, someone new will come along and try again.

I saw about five minutes of footage from Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino), and it was amazing stuff. Can't hardly wait.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I saw about five minutes of footage from Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino), and it was amazing stuff. Can't hardly wait.

Did they give you any idea of a timetable on Sin City?

Spring 2005. Sometime between March and May. No firm date yet. They haven't even completely finished filming, as Frank said they still have a few pick-ups and inserts and such to shoot. Then they have to assemble it. It's going to be a great movie, and an even greater DVD. To get three Sin City stories into Sin City the movie, obviously they each had to be cut down a little. But they've shot the entire story for each three, and all that footage will be on the eventual DVD, and you will be able to watch them as three completely seperate 50 or 55-minute movies.

Cool, huh? Wait to you see the still basically raw footage. Mickey Rourke is rising like a phoenix! Damn, did he look amazing!

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Spring 2005. Sometime between March and May. No firm date yet. They haven't even completely finished filming, as Frank said they still have a few pick-ups and inserts and such to shoot. Then they have to assemble it. It's going to be a great movie, and an even grerater DVD. To get three Sin City stories into Sin City the movie, obviously they each had to be cut down a little. But they've shot the entire story for each three, and all that footage will be on the eventual DVD, and you will be able to watch them as three completely seperate 50 or 55-minute movies.

Cool, huh? Wait to you see the still basically raw footage. Mickey Rourke is rising like a phoenix! Damn, did he look amazing!
I can't believe it. I'm actually aroused.

Comic book movies....they have a LOT in common so far.I often get bored of watching the good guys beat the bad guys-who doesn't.But still...I like X-men I can't say the same about Spiderman or Batman.Anyway comic book wrighters are getting out of ideas that's for sure.

read better comics then V