The Luck of LOTR.... in casting

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by putts
First off, my bad about the Tom Cruise thing - unaware he's only 5' 7" (damn, he's a just a wee lil guy)

Yeah, that's sorta the point I had in mind.

Sorta the Star Wars ideal. When you have a bunch of relatively no-name actors, their characters define them more than they define their character. Of course, that can stereotype their acting career and keep them out of some other roles (e.g. Mark Hammel).

In the end, I hope Elijah Wood (and maybe others) win some awards for the job he/they did in this movie (ROTK).
The acting was exceeded superb and I don't think anyone else could've done it as much justice.
I concur

I think quite a few movies, League of Extraordinary Gentleman for instance, probably would have been better if they weren't centered around some big aged star and they had almost all up-and-comers and unknowns.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
Just a thought what other movies has she been in?a
I was going to look it up but I wanted to ask you guys instead!
See you ar ound and thanks!JM
Hmmm… lets see…. Liv was in…

Empire Records
Armageddon
Inventing the Abbots
That Thing You Do
Plunkett and Macleane

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
Completley agree. Alhtough I am suprised nobody has mentioned Viggo Mortenson, who was actually not the FIRST choice for the role of Aragorn. The first choice was actually Sean Townsend, who ended up having problems with Jackson, so a week into filming, a time when most of the cast had already done about 6 weeks of training they called Mortenson up and offered him the part. He had less than a day to decide to do it. And he just did it. The way he immersed himself into the role is incredible, and after years of just being a relatively unknown actor he is now finally getting teh credit he deserves.

I had forgotten about Townsend… and while I think he has a lot of potential, given the right role... I’m glad Viggo ended up as Aragorn…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
And Al Pacino is 5'6".
And James Dean was only 5'8", Same as Mark Wahlberg
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I had forgotten about Townsend… and while I think he has a lot of potential, given the right role... I’m glad Viggo ended up as Aragorn…
I'm glad too. I can't imagine anyone else playing Aragorn. Viggo is Aragorn.

Glitter....nice post. It is nice seeing Viggo finally in a role that has given him the opportunity to be noticed as a lead actor. I did love him in A Walk on the Moon and A Perfect Murder....but I can't wait for Hidalgoto come out.

Hehe...getting back on track...LOTR's...I think Viggo deserves an Oscar nod.

And the cast. They all had such great chemistry together. I wasn't sure if I liked Liv Tyler in that role at first, but she grew on me. I hope Peter Jackson get an Oscar nod this time around.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Hehe...getting back on track...LOTR's...I think Viggo deserves an Oscar nod.
Oh I like you! I think so too, I have always thought so ever since we first saw him as a rascally looking ranger at 'The prancing pony' inn in Bree I thought so. The intensity he has blows me away.

and thank you.

After having read the books four times, I was a bit picky when I went to the theater. Or is it theatre? I don't know. . .anyway. After seeing them all I can safely say that I am more than impressed w/ the acting, and the way it's done. I have complaints obviously, but that's inevitable. Here are the actors that I think did the best. 5=lowest on the list, 1=best in the movies IMO.

5.John Rhys Davies-he played two characters, that has to count for something. (Gimli/Treebeard)

4.Viggo Mortensen-Aragorn/Strider

3.Sean Astin-Samwise Gamgee

2.Sean Bean-Boromir

1.Bernard Hill-Theoden
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by Creed
John Noble as Denathor was outstanding, everytime he was on the screen he made me cringe...

I think Liv made every scene she was in tedious, with the exception of the crowning ceremony.
I was going to mention Denathor, who was also in The Two Towers Extended edition and he was great there too. This guy just worms his way under your skin with the scowl he has. Great Role. I didn't find Liv tedious, but I like her eyes so maybe she tricked me

Bernard Hill was excellant as Theoden, he along with Mckellan used their bit of shakespearen experience to really make us feel as if we were a part of the movie.

I think my biggest dispute as that even though I really loved Miranda Otto as Eoywn, her chracter wasn't written in the script reallly to be finished, hers along with Faramirs, the movie sort of fell apart at the end with no ending for those to characters and you would think they had enough to spare? If you have read the books than you can understand what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
Bernard Hill was excellant as Theoden, he along with Mckellan used their bit of shakespearen experience to really make us feel as if we were a part of the movie.

I think my biggest dispute as that even though I really loved Miranda Otto as Eoywn, her chracter wasn't written in the script reallly to be finished, hers along with Faramirs, the movie sort of fell apart at the end with no ending for those to characters and you would think they had enough to spare? If you have read the books than you can understand what I am talking about.
Well, I had the same feeling about these same two characters in Two Towers, and I felt that the Extended edition totally rectified the situation. I have a feeling these two characters are the ones they had to slight for the theatre versions. Really I thought they were totally misused when I first saw the Two Towers, and they became integral parts of the adventure when I got to see the other scenes they were involved in. I am hoping they get more time in The Extended RotK.

Let's not forget the smarmy role of Wormtounge either. Very well done.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I think all the actors were outstanding but I was really engaged with these ones:

-Andy Serkis. Remarkable work as both Gollum and Smeagol. Needs to be nominated.
-Miranda Otto. A beautiful woman. Won my heart every time she was on screen.
-Brad Dourif: His role was small but the man has something evil within himself. I would like to see him in films more often.
-Sean Bean: The tragic ending of this flawed character is one of my favorite scenes of the whole trilogy. He comunicated so many emotions in just a few seconds...

Originally Posted by julio
I think all the actors were outstanding but I was really engaged with these ones:

-Andy Serkis. Remarkable work as both Gollum and Smeagol. Needs to be nominated.
-Miranda Otto. A beautiful woman. Won my heart every time she was on screen.
-Brad Dourif: His role was small but the man has something evil within himself. I would like to see him in films more often.
-Sean Bean: The tragic ending of this flawed character is one of my favorite scenes of the whole trilogy. He comunicated so many emotions in just a few seconds...
More Douriff you say? I must first point out Exorcist III where Mr. Douriff is juat SO awesome as the gemini killer.

Check that one out, as well as:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest
Alien Ressurection
Dune
Blue Velvet
Graveyard Shift (he is great here, the movie chows)
Mississippi Burning

and many many more.

Check out his filmography here

Brad Douriff Filmography