Classics that you grew up with

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Just wanted to bumped this up, I'll post more later when I have the time.

The bond movies. My parents loved Connery, but my brother and I loved the Roger Moore years.

Also...

Star Wars
American Graffiti
The Poseidon Adventure
Superman
Jaws
Fame
Batman the Movie
Beach Blanket Bingo and Muscle Beach Party

I watched alot of black and white classics with my parents also.

guess the only ones i was really brought up on were star wars and the like. my family wasnt that big into disney but we had fantasia and dumbo, and i know i was a fan of pinnochio when i was young [though now i'm so very very old and grizzled]. when i was a teenager i started getting introduced to some other "classics" probably starting with the clockwork orange and taxi driver type stuff. also started getting into anime around then, i have to consider akira and wings of honeamise classics of the genre, they're the two canonical ones that really grabbed my fancy [i fancy them, i do]. found some other good ones as i went on through high school, like seven samurai, ikiru, seven beauties [not sure how much that one coutns but it definitely should be a classic]. those are the main classics that i saw that really did somethign for me at the time. saw others too back then, like some chaplin and keaton, once upon a time in the west and a whole ton of others that didnt really do anything for me at the time but many of which i've since seen the significance of. particularly the keaton films from the 20s: the playhouse, sherlock, jr., the high sign, steamboat bill, jr. etc.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Taxi Driver is a film that they have showed on swedish television on a regular basis now and then as far back as I can remember. I was probably not more than ten when I saw it the first time and I don't remember what I thought about it. I didn't have a clue about the film being considered a classic, that's for sure though.

It is very hard for me to view this film objectively. It's like having a friend that is a celebrity but that you have known long before he became a celebrity. You know it is great, but you know it too well to be swept off your feet.

I have always liked films a lot. Actually, I have liked films for all my life so it's not until recent years that I have realized that perhaps I like them more than normal people do and I decided to study film at uni. So, after having studied film for a while I decided to watch Taxi Driver once again, but this time with my "film studies glasses". And, yes, I understand why it is a classic. I understand it completely, but I still can't escape that feeling of sitting in front of the tv in the basement in my parents home. Me on the couch beside my sleeping dad, listening to Travis Bickle going: "You talking to me?? You talking to me??". Oh, it's my old pal Taxi Driver... what's so special with that? Hmmmm... Maybe the fact that I have seen it at least ten times but I wouldn't hesitate putting it on right now for the eleventh time.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
heheheh, i'm so low brow. I was brought up on repeat viewings of:

Flash Gordan. (and i can't even remember if that's how you spell it )

"He'll save every one of us!..."

And it's Flash Gordon (1980).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Do you know my poetry?
I grew up with a few classics but my favorites were The Star Wars and Back to The Future Trilogies.

When in the hell did Back to the Future become a classic? ah well, must be gettin' old...
I can remember 'classics' when I was a kid like Ben Hur and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Fox
When in the hell did Back to the Future become a classic? ah well, must be gettin' old...
I can remember 'classics' when I was a kid like Ben Hur and To Kill A Mockingbird.
Well I always considered it a classic

Lets put a smile on that block
Definatly Back to the future was a classic trilogy for me. Other films that seem to be ones that i always used to watch when i was a child were -

Poseidon Adventure
Naked Gun
Most Disney films
Teenage Mutant hero turtles
The Thing
Terminator
Alien trilogy
All Dogs go to heaven (Animated film and first film i ever cried at)
Shorty Circuit one and two
Legend
Dark Crystal
Gremilins one and two

thats all i can think of for now.....

I grew up just watchign old movies with my dad all the time or sitting in my rocking chair getting scared out of my wits. i grew up on mostly black and white movies and horror movies.
Frankenstein
the Bad Seed
The Fly
King Kong
Rumpelstilsken
killerclowns from outter space
monsters
friday the 13th movies
children of the corns
jasons
a whoel lot i could never think of the names just recognize all the time on the old movie channels.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The Last Unicorn.
The Dark Crystal.
The secret of NIMH.
Labyrinth.
The Princess Bride.
Big Trouble in Little China.
Wizard of Oz & Return to Oz.
Willy Wonka.
Gremlins.
Ghostbusters.
An American Tail.
The Land Before Time.
Transformers: The Movie.
Oliver and Company. ( Saw this 4 times in a theater as a child back when it hit theaters back in 1988)
Making Contact. ( It's an extremely overlooked fantasy horror gem from Germany about a kid with psychic powers battles an evil ventriloquist dummy and demons from another dimension, it's directed by Roland Emmerich and i recommend it but only in the 2-Disc DVD which contains the Uncut German language version).

Fasten your seat belts...
I have the memory of a fish, but from what I can recall the movies I grew up with were (to name a few):

The Muppet Movie: "It's a myth, myth" "Yes!?!?!"

The Life of Brian: (honestly. We watched what my parents watched and they watched that on Beta all the time)

Flash Gordon (and when my parents weren't around) Flesh Gordon.

Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink & Less Than Zero were my teen pleasures.

Little Nemo
Rock-a-Doodle
Peter Pan
The Wizard of Oz
An American Tail
All Dogs Go to Heaven

These are the only movies that I watched, in rotation, for months everyday when I was younger. As a result of watching them so much, my VCR ate them and I don't own any of them as of today.
A storm is coming Frank says, a storm that will swallow the children. And I will deliver them from the Kingdom of pain. I will deliver the childern back to their doorsteps. I will send the monster back to the Underground. I will send it to a place where no one else can see; Except for me. 'Cause I am Donnie Darko.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I grew up on Star Wars trilogy, Back to the Future, GhostBusters, The Muppet Movie, Gremlins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Popeye, Howard the Duck, The Three Stooges, Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin), the Smurfs and The Magic Flute, Superman 1, 2, and 3, Three Amigos!, Spaceballs (I get MUCH more of this movie now! LOL), Little Shop Of Horrors (My tape of this is DEAD.), Young Frankenstein, Monty Python and the Holy Grail...there are so many of them!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Fasten your seat belts...
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I grew up on Star Wars trilogy, Back to the Future, GhostBusters, The Muppet Movie, Gremlins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Popeye, Howard the Duck, The Three Stooges, Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin), the Smurfs and The Magic Flute, Superman 1, 2, and 3, Three Amigos!, Spaceballs (I get MUCH more of this movie now! LOL), Little Shop Of Horrors (My tape of this is DEAD.), Young Frankenstein, Monty Python and the Holy Grail...there are so many of them!
Damn, I forgot Little Shop of Horrors. My brother and I could not just sing all the songs, but knew the entire movie off by heart.
"Like shooting puppies with a bb gun..."
Hey, it wasn't too sad then! Just now!!!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Wizard of Oz was on TV every year, and I always begged to watch it.
Song of the South was the first film I left home to see.
Benji was an early one...
I was the age of the casts of The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, Risky Business... Saw all of those many times.

Sixteen Candles
Teen Witch
Back to the Future I-III
Star Wars Trilogy
Indiana Jones movies
Child's Play
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-whatever
Ghostbusters
TMNT
Legend
She-ra
Superman III
Prom Night
etc . . .

Appy-polly-loggies
Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Well I always considered it a classic

Def the only movie I can remember from my childhood where I would watch it over and over again!