Kill Bill: Volume 2

→ in
Tools    

There isn't a thread for Kill Bill 2 already?

I loved the movie, but I think I like volume one more. Although....

WARNING: "Kill Bill 2" spoilers below
The Bride Vs. Elle Driver scene was probably the funniest and best part out of both movies

That really isn't a spoiler, but for those who haven't seen the film, I don't want them to expect something going in.

When Kill Bill Vol. 1 was released six months ago, I had to see it three times before I could even begin to appreciate certain parts of it. I disliked it that much. And yet, then, for some strange reason, I wrote a fairly gushing review about a whole heap of things that, frankly, I didn't really feel too convinced about [though my words may have suggested otherwise]. And I'm simply not going to give Vol. 2 the same chances. Nope. Sorry. That's it. Tarantino's had his chance and he's blown it. The first half was a film without a closure and thus deserved special consideration. The second half should do everything it doesn't. The Kill Bill cycle, now complete, is ultimately a very average movie.

I went into Vol. 2 with an open mind. Yeah, the first film had taken me by surprise and I'd had to realign my expectations [twice over] before I was able to play by its rules and [partially] enjoy what I was watching. This time, however, I went in knowing the rules beforehand, and this time, the film was actually unable to meet my expectations. All the Tarantino groupies [yes, Margaret Pomeranz, I'm looking at you] who are aching to see the two volumes back-to-back are ultimately, I think, setting themselves up for quite the sizeable fall. I cannot imagine these two films being played in quick succession, as was originally the plan. How on Earth could Kill Bill have ever been conceived as a complete and unbroken film? There's no flow, no consistency, no neurons connecting the two disparate halves. In terms of energy, pace and storytelling, the "whole" is grossly uneven. The series' climax, for Christ's sake, is at the end of the first film! And yet some people think it's the greatest experience they've ever had in a cinema...

...so, what the Hell do I know?

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
...so, what the Hell do I know?
Apparently, not much...except your own taste. That's usually good enough.

I, however, really liked Vol. 2. I had to drag myself to see the first one in the theater and found I enjoyed it enough, but I wasn't amazed by it either. Yet, when I saw Vol 2., I was enthralled. I like the fact that there's more character depth in this one and since it wasn't chock full of violence, the violence it did have resonated more. Carradine was a pleasure, the fight between The Bride and Driver was a brilliant one, and Thurman showed more chops with her acting than the first Volume would allow.

It's been awhile since I've seen Vol. 1, so I really can't say how well they will merge, and I have no idea if there was some creative editing that will be reversed when the volumes are sold together; I hope so. It's too bad you didn't care for it SB, but then again, you'll always have Paris.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I think they're better as two seperate movies. I'd like to know how The Bride got involved with all of this sword playing stuff, how she met Bill, etc. I heard something about an animated prequel...

Kill Bill was good to see how Quentin Tarantino is experimenting with his craft. But it's definitely not a winner for me.

The characters where too dry and too similar for me to care who lived and who died.
There was the occational overkill.

The only great character that i thought stole the show was that "Mei Pei" charater.

Other then that I was mildly thrilled. I thought there could have been alot more done to make the film a superior in Kung Fu films.

my name is buck and im here to f**k
personally I Think the movie is pretty good,not kill bill vol.1 good,but good never the less.I agree the characters are alittle shallow and could have been more in depth.The acting by uma was surprising when it came to the fight scences (especially the coffin scene).If you are a fan of the kung fu genre and tarantino style filmmaking then this is your movie.Even if you arn't this is still a good movie regardless of overkill (honestly what tarantino movie doesn't). 41/2 OF 5

Originally Posted by movieman373
PERSONALLY THE MOVIE WAS PRETTY GOOD NOT KILL BILL VOL.1 GOOD,BUT GOOD NEVER THE LESS.I AGREE THE CHARACTERS ARE ALITTLE SHALLOW AND COULD HAVE BEEN MORE IN DEPTH.THE ACTING BY UMA WAS HONESTLY SURPRISING WHEN IT CAME TO THE FIGHT SCENES (ESPECIALLY THE COFFIN SCENCE).IF YOU ARE A FAN OF THE KUNG FU GENRE AND A TARATINO FAN THEN THIS FILM IS FOR YOU.EVEN IF YOU ARN'T THIS IS STILL A GOOD FILM REGARDLESS OF OVERKILL (HONESTLY WHAT TARANTINO MOVIE DOESN'T HAVE ALITTLE). 41/2 OF 5
Next time don't write in capital letters, its hard to read.

Originally Posted by James_Bond
Next time don't write in capital letters, its hard to read.
Meanwhile, "it's" has an apostrophe, Nit-pick.

o my the world is over

A system of cells interlinked
I just can't decide which I like better, I think it's II today

an ancient thread an i've decide to revive it...both movies kick ass but the second one is better...i'm still recovering from that coffin scene...and uma thurman is the coolest most badass chick in flicks!!!

[b]Hmm Okay it was okay.But not as much action as the first kill bill for sure.With all the blood gushing,heads flying and body blows.But I can say ya if u watched Kill Bill The first one then go out and see the last one.

I actually liked both, a friend of mine watched them with me and he hated them both

One of the best of 2004

it's cool and you know it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I liked both of them a lot.
Tarantino creates a world with it's own morality, and then uses that structure to tell an emotionally satisfying story. It's fun visually, too. It's a one of the best popcorn flicks ever.

The People's Republic of Clogher
For me, the two Kill Bill's were a huge step backwards from Jackie Brown.

One for sorrow, two for joy....