100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Going hand-in-hand with that I would think would be the unveiling of some of the individual lists because maybe people forgot to include Ravenous, The Reflecting Skin and Horror Express.
Gah! I totally forgot Horror Express! Good movie.
Ravenous? I own it and like it, but I'm not sure it would make my list.
I haven't seen Reflecting Skin.

Originally Posted by mark f
Going hand-in-hand with that I would think would be the unveiling of some of the individual lists because maybe people forgot to include Ravenous, The Reflecting Skin and Horror Express.
Well, that all depends. I'm trying to get votes on if people want to alter this, which in that case I will post the rest of the movies, still in the order of most mentioned to least mentioned. I have every last movie listed that way . . . However, if everyone wants to keep the top 100 as it is, and just work on the ties . . . or not . . . then there's no reason to show the other films mentioned, until we are done.

Holden and I listed Kill, Baby, Kill, so I don't know what happened to your guys' votes.
I just checked my PM, and it's in there. It's my second favorite Bava film, after Black Sunday.

I just checked my PM, and it's in there. It's my second favorite Bava film, after Black Sunday.
Yeah, I've already posted that you, mark, and Toose listed it. That's the three.

Well, that all depends. I'm trying to get votes on if people want to alter this, which in that case I will post the rest of the movies, still in the order of most mentioned to least mentioned. I have every last movie listed that way . . . However, if everyone wants to keep the top 100 as it is, and just work on the ties . . . or not . . . then there's no reason to show the other films mentioned, until we are done.
I think you've done plenty of work on this already, so I wouldn't want to do much swapping out of what's already on the list. I think all of would agree that there are some movies on the list that we disagree with, but if we start down that road, we'll never get this thing finished.

I like the idea of voting for ties to put them in order, but Lisa, you is da boss, so I'm willing to defer to however you want to do it...except, EXCEPT for the films at the bottom of the list. For Spoorloos (The Vanishing) to be off the list while Final Destination is on, just because of where they fall alphabetically....well, that just isn't right!

Which Brits? I for one championed it and its inclusion.

And the list isn't done. If we are compiling a Top 100 we need an order for them.
A fail to see how you can say having 4 films voted into the same place as anything finished.

What if 4 or 5 had been voted into the #1 spot?

And I thank you for that sir, I think you know who my comment was directed too.

Also, when was it decided that this was a Top 100? I thought this was going to be a 100 years 100 movies type of list. If it is in fact going to be a top 100 then by all means, lets get voting. Or at least as long as Des can stand to keep working on this. Stuff like this takes a lot of work so if she's up to it then I'm all for it.

What do you think Des? I saw the post you just made. About ordering the top ten. Are we going through the whole list this way?

And again, are we just going to lose the movies at the bottom of the list that were tied with four votes? Or are we going to vote on those as well?

For Spoorloos (The Vanishing) to be off the list while Final Destination is on, just because of where they fall alphabetically....well, that just isn't right!
Yeah, I think it's a good idea to put all of these movies that have been mentioned four times each onto the list. That will be interesting to see. Which of those movies leave the list.

Are we going through the whole list this way?
And again, are we just going to lose the movies at the bottom of the list that were tied with four votes? Or are we going to vote on those as well?
Yep, and yep!

For those that are OK with this idea, go ahead, whenever you like, and put them in order. Now remember, only do so by the matching number. The Omen and The Thing, or The Thing and The Omen. Then, go to the movies that were voted on twelve times. Put them in the order that you wish they were in, and so on.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) = FOURTEEN <~ Number One!

The Omen (1976) = THIRTEEN
The Thing (1982) = THIRTEEN

An American Werewolf in London (1981) = TWELVE
Nosferatu (1922) = TWELVE
Psycho (1960) = TWELVE

Dawn of the Dead (1978) = ELEVEN
The Exorcist (1973) = ELEVEN
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) = ELEVEN
The Shining (1980) = ELEVEN

The Fly (1986) = TEN
Halloween (1978) = TEN
The Howling (1981) = TEN
Poltergeist (1982) = TEN
Return of the Living Dead (1985) = TEN
Scream (1996) = TEN
Shaun of the Dead (2004) = TEN

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) = NINE
The Descent (2005) = NINE
Dracula (1931) = NINE
Frankenstein (1931) = NINE
Jaws (1975) = NINE
Rosemary's Baby (1968) = NINE
The Wicker Man (1973) = NINE

Alien (1979) = EIGHT
Carrie (1976) = EIGHT
Dog Soldiers (2002) = EIGHT
The Haunting (1961) = EIGHT
The Lost Boys (1987) = EIGHT
Near Dark (1987) = EIGHT
The Phantom of the Opera (1925) = EIGHT
Re-Animator (1985) = EIGHT
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) = EIGHT

28 Days Later (2002) = SEVEN
The Changeling (1980) = SEVEN
Dead Alive (1992) = SEVEN
The Evil Dead (1981) = SEVEN
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987) = SEVEN
Friday the 13th (1980) = SEVEN
Fright Night (1985) = SEVEN
Hellraiser (1987) = SEVEN
The Innocents (1961) = SEVEN
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) = SEVEN
Let the Right One In (2008) = SEVEN
The Others (2001) = SEVEN
The Ring (2002) = SEVEN
Saw (2004) = SEVEN
Suspiria (1977) = SEVEN
Wolfman (1941) = SEVEN

The Birds (1963) = SIX
Black Christmas (1974) = SIX
The Blair Witch Project (1999) = SIX
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) = SIX
Deep Red (1975) = SIX
The Entity (1981) = SIX
The Fog (1980) = SIX
Frailty (2001) = SIX
Freaks (1932) = SIX
House on Haunted Hill (1959) = SIX
In the Mouth of Madness (1994) = SIX
Interview with the Vampire (1994) = SIX
Misery (1990) = SIX
Nosferatu (1979) = SIX
Phantasm (1979) = SIX
Ringu (1998) = SIX
The Sixth Sense (1999) = SIX
Tremors (1990) = SIX
Witchfinder General (1968) = SIX

Aliens (1986) = FIVE
The Amityville Horror (1979) = FIVE
Army of Darkness (1992) = FIVE
Day of the Dead (1985) = FIVE
The Devil's Backbone (2001) = FIVE
Don't Look Now (1973) = FIVE
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) = FIVE
The Hitcher (1986) = FIVE
House of Wax (1953) = FIVE
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) = FIVE
The Invisible Man (1933) = FIVE
The Mummy (1932) = FIVE
Pet Sematary (1989) = FIVE
The Pit & the Pendulum (1961) = FIVE
Shadow of the Vampire (2000) = FIVE
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) = FIVE

Audition (1999) = FOUR
Angel Heart (1987) = FOUR
Black Sunday (1960) = FOUR
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) = FOUR
Black Sabbath (1963) = FOUR
Candyman (1992) = FOUR
Cat People (1942) = FOUR
Christine (1983) = FOUR
Creepshow (1982) = FOUR
Dawn of the Dead (2004) = FOUR
Final Destination (2000) = FOUR
Ginger Snaps (2000) = FOUR
Peeping Tom (1960) = FOUR
Salem's Lot (1979) = FOUR
Shivers (1975) = FOUR
Sleepy Hollow (1999) = FOUR
Spoorloos (1988) = FOUR
Tales from the Crypt (1972) = FOUR
Tenebre (1982) = FOUR
Theater of Blood (1973) = FOUR
The Uninvited (1944) = FOUR
Village Of The Damned (1960) = FOUR
Zombi 2/Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) = FOUR

I'm sorry about any of the movies that were voted on three times or less. Especially if they were my choices.

OK, let the lists begin . . . Again!

If anyone is against this idea, then I guess we'll be discussing it again, later on.

Happy New Year from Philly!
The thing we need to decide is which of seven movies out of those that have FOUR votes should be removed from the list. We could have a removal vote from all the participants or we could give Lisa a list of all the FOURS we think should stay on the list barring seven that we are willing to let go. That should be fairly simple for Lisa to deal with compared to rethinking the whole list. I am not that concerned about the order the movies are in, just whether they are on the list at all. What say you, Lisa, everybody?

The thing we need to decide is which of seven movies out of those that have FOUR votes should be removed from the list. We could have a removal vote from all the participants or we could give Lisa a list of all the FOURS we think should stay on the list barring seven that we are willing to let go. That should be fairly simple for Lisa to deal with compared to rethinking the whole list. I am not that concerned about the order the movies are in, just whether they are on the list at all. What say you, Lisa, everybody?
The way I have it set up will eliminate those seven.

Personally, i'd like to see everyone's complete list before going any further. Don't think the final list should suffer loosing a classic horror film because only 3 people have seen it. And i'd like to see a vote on the ones to be removed.

My life isn't written very well.
Through all of this, I think I understand what to do....I think.....

Thanks again Destiny!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Personally, i'd like to see everyone's complete list before going any further. Don't think the final list should suffer loosing a classic horror film because only 3 people have seen it. And i'd like to see a vote on the ones to be removed.
This is along the lines of what I thought was going to happen.

OK, I need this clarified. Are we discussing anything (other films, what should and shouldn't be included and anything else) or are we taking these as the choices and moving on. It seems that many of us seem to have different ideas of what we were aiming for and what we're now going to do.

For example, I need to know if we're going to discuss Aliens or Psycho. I included Psycho on my list, even though I don't consider it a horror, because I thought it was something we were going to discuss. If we included it, I wanted it as high as possible because it's a great film, if not, then I'd simply replace it with another film. The same with Aliens, apart from I didn't include it.

I'm not messing, I just want to know what we're doing before I start sending Destiny lists and making work that (might not) need to be done just yet.

I have no problem doing this, posting the leftovers, but the changes may be so few, that they still don't change the actual list. We shall see . . . maybe.

Maybe I should make a poll. Tie-breaker version, or redo the original lists first.

I still don;t see why we are bothering to vote on whether to keep or remove films.
If someone wanted to include a film, it's up to them (and come on, debate there may be over some, but no one has put "Rambo" or "Spaceballs" on their list have they?).

If they are the only one, their film will have just one vote and be shoved out of the list anyway.

What films there are, are those we have so lets vote an order.

Perhaps I assumed wrongly about a 'Top 100' I thought that's what this was. Otherwise we might just as well have asked for people to simply name some horror films and put that list up..And even then some would have to go out somehow by voting on them.

As for films we have not seen, I guess the only way then is to put them as last in the group on your personal list, unless you think that you know enough about the film (it's status, history, how it plays out etc) to decide it deserves elevation.

Yeah, as far as the order goes, if I haven't seen them, then I either search for them on that site Toose posted, or like with the Dawn of the Dead movie, I found an extended version of it last night on You-Tube. I watched bits of it to help me judge where it should go.

Internet Archive

<~ I suppose that's OK to do.

Done 'n' dusted. Not too hard actually. I certainly would have moved a few up and down the list if I could though into different 'number of votes' categories.

I have no problem doing this, posting the leftovers, but the changes may be so few, that they still don't change the actual list. We shall see . . . maybe.

Maybe I should make a poll. Tie-breaker version, or redo the original lists first.
Poll would be interesting to get other people's opinions on them who aren't reading the thread.

I really would like to see other lists and would like people to have chance to champion films that aren't on the list which they think belong on it. I think the list's quite solid as it is but, for example, would rather see Inside on it opposed to Psycho and Shutter over The Ring and probably the The Hills Have Eyes remake over Dawn of the Dead one.

Few people have already but would like to see what people don't think belongs on the list and films that should replace them. Spark a bit of debate, y'know? As we're all horror aficionados here

I vote for keeping the Horror Movies list as it is, making the official damn list that I can check off already and posting it tonight so we can move on before I'm old and my grandkids, who showed up after the kids I had from some woman who finally turned me straight, lock me up in an old folk's home, where I discover a few remaining MoFo's who are still alive.