100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

So you have your top 10 then...Just not the exact order.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) = FOURTEEN
The Omen (1976) = THIRTEEN
The Thing (1982) = THIRTEEN
An American Werewolf in London (1981) = TWELVE
Nosferatu (1922) = TWELVE
Psycho (1960) = TWELVE
Dawn of the Dead (1978) = ELEVEN
The Exorcist (1973) = ELEVEN
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) = ELEVEN
The Shining (1980) = ELEVEN

So we have 2 films to vote on for #2, the loser becoming #3
3 films for #4 (the losers...in order...becoming #5 , #6)
And 4 films to vote for #7 (the losers...in order..becoming #8, #9, #10)

As for the list, it's pretty solid, although I'm disappointed not to see some of my favorites on there: Kill, Baby...Kill!, ..
That one must have gotten at least two votes... between you and I.

So you have your top 10 then...Just not the exact order.
It's just an idea. Again, we first need to get 15 OKs on how the list is. The odd movies. Is everyone OK, able to get over them being there?

After that, then we'll agree on a way to sort the other mess out.

That one must have gotten at least two votes... between you and I.
Kill, Baby, Kill (1966) = TWO

This is nuts. What happened to good old fashioned reasoning like, "I'm gonna make the list. If you don't like what I put on the list, tough noogies. Deal with it. It'll give ya character."

Hurry up with a Top 100 list so I can have fun clicking things off.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
But Angel Heart just isn't a horror film, IMO. I really liked it, but I don't consider it horror, therefore, I wouldn't have it on the list.
A movie with the Devil isn't a horror movie?

I'm with Sexy (LOL) whatever films anyone has chosen are on there. The initial 100 lists are done.
Now lets vote them into order.

My life isn't written very well.
Sexy it's done. Click back a few pages...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Sexy it's done. Click back a few pages...
An actual list has been posted? I don't see it...

Sleepy Hollow?

Dog Soldiers is riff raff.

Thank God The Return of the Living Dead made it on there, with TEN votes!

Totally forgot about Fright Night.

Frailty???

Eh.

Holden and I listed Kill, Baby, Kill, so I don't know what happened to your guys' votes.
Yeah, I went to the wrong list. However, it's only three votes . . .

Kill, Baby, Kill (1966) = THREE

I couldn't get Holden to update the list, delete what you added or whatever, to make it a list of 100 or less. Plus a list that was just his. If he still wants to update it, and get rid of nine of those titles, I'll add it in.

I just don't "get" you Brits. Shaun of the Dead gets ten out of a possible 15 votes and still it gets bashed.

I think we're now drifting into totally random territory by now focusing on what has to be number 2 and what has to be number 3. The list of 100 is done. The winner, or number one choice is clear. Is it really important to have The Omen above The Thing? I mean, Des may be at this for several more months while we argue about which flick gets the number 89 spot.

Now then, there were several tied at the bottom yeah? Why don't we focus on which of those flicks should or shouldn't be on the final list?

More importantly, if we are going to vote and it appears that's the way most of you are leaning. Who's voting? Just us yeah? The guys and gals that submitted a list? If we have open polls then that sets up for totally random majority votes. I think.

Oh and Angel Heart belongs on the list. Get over it HK...

I'm actually surprised at how many films I've seen on that list. I never thought that I had seen that many horror films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

More importantly, if we are going to vote and it appears that's the way most of you are leaning. Who's voting? Just us yeah?
Yes, just "us". "One of us! One of us!" Along with Holden, I'm guessin' "we accept him"...

More importantly, if we are going to vote and it appears that's the way most of you are leaning. Who's voting? Just us yeah? The guys and gals that submitted a list? If we have open polls then that sets up for totally random majority votes. I think.
Yeah, I posted this awhile back. If you didn't make a list to start, you can't vote later. It's not right, in my opinion. That was the hard part. Who am I kidding!?! Counting them was the hard part, but those lists made this happen. Just one more list could have altered a lot. If you didn't donate to start, you can't donate later. Sorry!

p.s. If you want in, and can get a list to me by the time we get this other stuff settled, I'll toss your results in.

I just don't "get" you Brits. Shaun of the Dead gets ten out of a possible 15 votes and still it gets bashed.

I think we're now drifting into totally random territory by now focusing on what has to be number 2 and what has to be number 3. The list of 100 is done. The winner, or number one choice is clear. Is it really important to have The Omen above The Thing? I mean, Des may be at this for several more months while we argue about which flick gets the number 89 spot.
Which Brits? I for one championed it and its inclusion.

And the list isn't done. If we are compiling a Top 100 we need an order for them.
A fail to see how you can say having 4 films voted into the same place as anything finished.

What if 4 or 5 had been voted into the #1 spot?

What if 4 or 5 had been voted into the #1 spot?
I think he's one of the members that's OK with it being done in alphabetical order.

1. How many of you want to leave it as it is?

2. How many of you want to delete certain films/discuss the removal of certain films?

3. How many of you want to do it this way? . . .

I'd have all of us, the fifteen that joined in, vote on which order these should be in. You will PM them to me in the order that you wish they were in, and then I'll do the math on those lists.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) = FOURTEEN <~ That's the number one film.

The Omen (1976) = THIRTEEN
The Thing (1982) = THIRTEEN

Then again . . .

An American Werewolf in London (1981) = TWELVE
Nosferatu (1922) = TWELVE
Psycho (1960) = TWELVE

Then again . . .

Dawn of the Dead (1978) = ELEVEN
The Exorcist (1973) = ELEVEN
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) = ELEVEN
The Shining (1980) = ELEVEN

Then again . . .

The Fly (1986) = TEN
Halloween (1978) = TEN
The Howling (1981) = TEN
Poltergeist (1982) = TEN
Return of the Living Dead (1985) = TEN
Scream (1996) = TEN
Shaun of the Dead (2004) = TEN

and so on . . .

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) = Nine
The Descent (2005) = NINE
Dracula (1931) = NINE
Frankenstein (1931) = NINE
Jaws (1975) = NINE
Rosemary's Baby (1968) = NINE
The Wicker Man (1973) = NINE . . .

I'd do the math on those, and post the new order.

By the way Prospero, why don't you like The Shining?
The Shining is my favorite Stephen King novel, and I saw the film just after reading the book. Kubrick's departures from the novel were immensely disappointing to me. I know that he did the maze because the technology wasn't there at the time to do the topiary as in the book, but there was simply no excuse to
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
kill off Dick Hallorann (Scatman Crothers) as soon as he walked in the door. I mean you have all this build up of him coming to try and save the day, and wham! Just liike that, he's gone. Anticlimactic doesn't even begin to describe it. In the book, Hallorann kills Jack Torrance, who then comes back from the dead, presumably possessed by the hotel, and then he kills Hallorann. I felt so ripped off by that.

Also, I've never been a Shelley Duvall fan, and I thought she was miscast as Wendy, but it was Nicholson's ridiculous mugging that really ruined the film for me. His performance was SO over the top that it drained any semblance of horror from the film towards the end. You think The Exorcist wasn't scary? Well, that's pretty much how I felt about "Heeere's Johnny!" My eyes were rolling so bad I thought they'd fall out of their sockets.

Now that I've vented, I'll also say that the movie wasn't all bad. I liked the creepy twins a lot, and thought that Danny's scene in the bathroom was quite good. And I loved...LOVED Joe Turkel as the ghostly bartender. He's one of my favorite supporting actors (he also played Tyrell in Blade Runner).

So there you have it. The Shining has a few good points, but they are far outweighed by the bad, for me, at least.