Quote of the Day

Tools    

"As the child of an alcoholic, I can't stand confrontation." ~ Bill Clinton, SNL

I am having a nervous breakdance
I remember reading that first post on this thread and that I thought it was ignorant and low. Clever but low. But this whole thing is a giving and taking situation and I don't know how many times I've laughed when hearing "fat-stupid-and-warloving-americans" jokes. And I would never post one of those on here or on any other board. I know that Austruck probably didn't mean anything by her quote and since a lot of MoFo:ers obviously thought it was amusing I just didn't bother. I guess americans need something like that in times when the rest of the world view them as aliens. I read it, shook my head and forgot about it. I haven't read all of Fire's quotes but those I've read haven't struck me as offensive. But if Austruck finds them offensive I guess they are to her. But as I said, it is a giving and taking situation.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

But this whole thing comes down to opinion. Some people are going to like some quotes, and some aren't. Simple as that.

Austruck doesn't want to read this thread anymore because she doesn't like many of the quotes, and there should be no problem with that. Post what you like, read what you like. Don't post what you don't like, and don't read what you don't like.

Because...

"It's a free country." ~ Unknown, Most Currently Mary Lo

there's a frog in my snake oil
Sorry, i'm accidently ****-stirring again. And i can't stop myself here either: from what i can remember all of fire's religious-related quotes have been humourous. There are a lot of them, and i understand Aus not appreciating that and the basis of the humour etc. But i think the intention of posting the quotes is that fire finds them amusing and wants to share them. (and my impression has always been that, although they do "belittle" etc, they mainly belittle negative and closed-minded expressions of christian belief, and as such aren't an attack on good christians etc in most cases)

Cool. Unless anyone has any objections, I'll continue to post about 1 to 1.5 religion quotes a day. I'll eventually run out of good ones, probably.

"He's a nut-bag. Just because the ****er's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda." - Brad Pitt, in Seven

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." - George W. Bush

"He's a nut-bag. Just because the ****er's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda." - Brad Pitt, in Seven

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain
Now see that could mean that both can be affected by instinctive decision making (and basic nature even )

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."[/b] - George W. Bush
In the interests of thread-following, i should really put this...

Vice President mentioned Nigeria is a fledgling democracy. We have to work with Nigeria. That's an important continent.
-- Presidential debate, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Oct. 11, 2000

....See now that's designed to be funny. i just really really hope he went on to say ...this continent of africa, [and talked about some serious issues there]

If you live to be 100, I want to live to be a 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.

"WINNIE THE POOH"

I love that quote. It's a little too syrupy sweet for me to actually post it myself, but I think it's an awesome quote.

Originally Posted by firegod
I love that quote. It's a little too syrupy sweet for me to actually post it myself, but I think it's an awesome quote.
I know what you mean, it would be nice if we all had someone that we didn't want, to live a day longer than.

"Businesses may come and go, but religion will last forever, for in no other endeavor does the consumer blame himself for product failure." - Harvard Lamphoon

"N.O.W. is saying that in order to be a woman, you've got to be a lesbian." - Pat Robertson

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." - George Carlin

Originally Posted by nebbit
I know what you mean, it would be nice if we all had someone that we didn't want, to live a day longer than.
I love the way all/most of the Pooh-philosophies can be compared to Taoist thought (i.e. the "Tao of Pooh" book - good old Milne)

"Private Pyle, I'm gonna give you three seconds, exactly three ****in' seconds, to wipe that stupid lookin' grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull f*** you!" - R. Lee Ermey, in Full Metal Jacket

"This country was formed by a bunch of slave owners who claimed that all men are created equal. That is known as being stunningly and embarrassingly full of s**t." - George Carlin

"God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That sir, is not free will. It would be akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his imprisonment/execution. When god says the same we call him 'loving' and build churches in his honor." - William C. Easttom II

Shake well before opening.
HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN. HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSEN.

There is in all things a pattern that is part of our universe. It has symmetry, elegance, and grace - thse qualities you find always in that the true artist captures. You can find it in the turning of the seasons, the way sand trails along a ridge, in the branch clusters of the creosote bush of the pattern of its leaves. We try to copy these patterns in our lives and in our society, seeking the rhythms, the dances, the forms that comfort. Yet, it is possible to see peril in the finding of ultimate perfection. It is clear that the ultimate pattern contains its own fixity. In such perfection, all things move towards death.
Frank Herbert, Dune

When i die, i want my coffin upside down so the world can kiss my ass. -Platoon

I'm going to sleep in a bed, have roots. You've given me a taste for life. -The Proffesional

Any drunk can take seeing their dead grandmother crawl up their leg with a knife in her mouth. But this, this was too much. -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY HAS MADE JACK A DULL BOY.

"If acorns start growing into theologians, or if women begin turning into pillars of salt, then we may wish to hypothesize about a supernatural influence. But until such time as nature becomes hopelessly unintelligible and unpredictable, we need look no further than nature itself for explanations." - George H. Smith

"General, you are talking to a machine; do the world a favor, and don't act like one." - John Wood, in WarGames

Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard; that's my policy.
The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.
Dirty Harry

"You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars...while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI." - Anthony Hopkins, in Silence of the Lambs

"And He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bull***t story. Holy S***!" - George Carlin

"Pat Buchanan anounced recently that he doesn't believe in evolution. He's also not too sure about gravity. It might be a plot by the Jews to steal people's loose change." - Bill Maher

My life isn't written very well.
"Pregnancy is like adolescence, except you don't get to leave home when it's over."--Cathy Cummins

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." - James Madison

"I have nothing! Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk fought for William Wallace. He fights for something that I never had, and I took it from him, when I betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield, and it's tearing me apart." - Angus MacFadyen, in Braveheart

"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. The conviction of the rich that the poor are happier is no more foolish than the conviction of the poor that the rich are." - Mark Twain