Only God Forgives

→ in
Tools    

It's not the lack of dialogue I think makes people dislike OGF. It's the lack of connection to the characters and the story. As well as how slow everything moves. In Drive we could sympathize with "The Driver" and felt a connection to the story. OGF is a dark,cold film. I don't hate it but can't love it either.It's a gorgeous film and I think will reach cult status soon, but I do believe Refn got a bit self indulgent.Just my 2 cents.
Fair enough but how many people are going to feel "connected" to a character whose existence is defined by emasculation and guilt? Julian is obviously not the Driver, but perhaps like his inversion.

Open-minded viewers should be willing to follow characters they might not be able to connect with, else they can't honestly complain about unoriginality. As for the casual filmgoer, it was never meant for them, I think, though I can't blame anyone for getting annoyed that it's not exactly a revenge thriller as trailers suggest.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'm pretty sure that Refn knew he wasn't making a movie for everyone. But I don't think it's the minimal dialogue alone that seems to put off most people. Perhaps for them the movie is just too weird and unusual.

Remember that some people care only about story when it comes to movies. They don't care about the acting, the dialogue, or if the movie is cliche. As long as something happens, they'll always find interesting things about it. My brother is like that. Most of the time he won't enjoy a movie unless it has a clear beginning and a clear ending. I used to be like that too, before I started to see movies as art.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A beautifully photographed ode to misanthropy with plenty of Asian cultural references. It also has one good shootout and chase which seems left over from Drive. What it apparently means is open to interpretation since I'd say it was an insult to all film watchers except some people have expressed love for it. I would express hate but it's too stupid and pathetic for that, so I'll just express disdain.

I was really let down by this film. It was like a very drawn out Spaghetti Western but usually in a good Spaghetti Western you are rewarded with great climax. Im guessing there is some sort of good(the police officer) vs. evil(the mother) with Gosling stuck in the middle hidden agenda the film is following. This movie stinks! I did kind of liked the music in the movie though.

I'm still indifferent to it. I love some parts, disagree with others (mainly lack of focus on the plot). But for sure, Refn knows how make a beautiful movie. You can take any shot throughout it, and it will be stunning.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I don't need dialogue.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This film had some outstanding cinematography I think we can all agree. It probably won't happen, but a Best Cinematography nomination from the Academy would be great.