Breaking Bad

Tools    

Tonight i continue with season 4,from 6th episode...so far my favorite character is Gauss,and least favorite is Skyler because she really is a bitch...

THIS POST IS FULL OF BIGGEST SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 1-4

I finished with season 4 and downloaded 6 episode from season 5 and will watch them tonight,all of them,because tomorrow i will travel to Montenegro and stay there for a month,and i have no computer there,so tonight i want to feed my internet addiction...4 and a half seasons for 5 days,not bad...4th season is spectacular,imo best season...Guss is really a psycho genius,so it is really shame that he died,but at least it happened in spectacular way...my favorite moments:are turtle walking with a head of a man on armor,acid burning tube,Guss poisoning whole gang,Guss killing his man just to send a message,and lots of turns,surprises and really genially imagined creative scenes...now i will continue with watching my new drug while smoking my old drug

WARNING: "Season 5, Episode 7" spoilers below
Well, I totally saw that one coming, both back in July and even moreso during the episode. I thought maybe I was wrong about Mike and he'd get away, and the story there would be that he got away because he was careful and patient, setting up a contrast with Walt, who is neither. But when Walt overheard that they'd found the bank accounts, I immediately knew he was done for after all. I turned to my wife and said "That's it! There's no other way! This is how it happens!" And sure enough...

...gotta say, though, it didn't go down the way I'd expected. I felt he'd wanted to kill Mike pretty much this entire season. And that might be true. But if so, he's doing a little mini split-personality deal, because he seemed a lot more like Heisenberg when he pulled the trigger, and a lot more like Walter White after it happened. Maybe that's the idea: he's really losing the last vestiges of himself now, and doing things he wouldn't otherwise do. Not just awful things, but awful and reckless. The former he's been doing for awhile. The latter is a little newer to him.

Just one more to go this year. I will miss it so. I wouldn't say this half-season has blown me away, but it's had several very good episodes, and it seems like one of those things that needs to be seen as a whole. So we'll see how it wraps up next week and, more importantly, how it ties into next year.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Gee, and here, I actually have been thinking this half-season has been completely compelling TV. That is, we stop everything to make sure we watch it when it's on and don't wait till later on the DVR. The twists have been a lot of fun and have caught us by surprise enough times that we're enjoying saying, "WHAT will happen next?"

Having said that...

WARNING: "Recent episode" spoilers below
We were debating whether the deposit-box-attorney would be the one to go, or Mike. That attorney felt like such an expendable character right up front that we were sure it'd be another "red shirt" killing.

But as soon as Walt offered to bring Mike his bag, we figured Mike was done for. Remember a few weeks ago, Hank said, in reference to Mike, that even experts make mistakes. Mike's mistake was thinking so little of Walt that he didn't think Walt would shoot him. Oddly, he had a gun on him and even in his hand ... but somehow still turned his back on Walt (literally) and walked away taking that bag. By the time he opened it, it was too late.

The only part I got wrong was that I was yelling (once Walt volunteered to take the bag), "Walt's going to shoot Mike with his own gun and make it look like a suicide!"

I'm surprised Walt the Empire Business guy didn't think any further ahead than simply shooting Mike in his car. I suppose Mike having driven off, even a short distance, threw Walt back into that earlier Walt "panic mode" where he makes the almost funny mistakes.

But he'll recover enough to hide this in his own way. Whether or not he hides it well enough is another story. And he'll hide this from Jesse too ... unless/until they find Mike's body (barrels, anyone?), in which case the news it generates would tip off Jesse that Walt is willing to kill anyone. Showdown?

I predict the half-season ending with Hank finding out something very important ... and we all know that HE NOW KNOWS.

My brother-in-law's been watching this season with us, and about halfway through each episode, during a commercial, he says, "My gosh, I LOVE THIS SHOW."

By the way, I really like the idea of...

WARNING: "Guesses About Breaking Bad Going Forward" spoilers below
...Hank finding out, but the show not explicitly telling us. For example, he keeps making confused, ponderous faces when certain things are said to him. Two stand out:

1) When his old boss talked about how Fring was "right under his nose." Hank looks pained and starts thinking. Clearly, on some level, his subconscious is wondering if anyone in his life may fit that description.

2) In this past episode, when Mike is ready for their warrant and his house his clean. He definitely makes a "WTF?" face that suggests he may suspect Mike was tipped off.

It looked like these two things may culiminate in Hank finding the bug and immediately realizing that Walt was one of a very small group of people who could have put it there.

I really love the idea that, next week (or even next year, for that matter), an episode ends with Hank's pained face, eyes darting around, searching, looking at the picture frame, thinking about Walt...and then his face softening, as if he's just realized something. They don't need any dialogue. But we'll know that, for the first time, he's figured it out. It would be brilliant if done right, and I really hope it happens.

Also, a big prediction about a subtle hint from last night's episode...

WARNING: "Episode 7, Season 5" spoilers below
Walt retrieving the bug makes it seem like he's in the clear, but I don't think he is. My first thought was that there's a camera in the office he hasn't realized is there, or something of the sort. And right as I thought this the very next shot was a quasi-fisheye (I think) shot coming from the corner of the room. It was very unusual and conspicuous, and exactly the kind of shot you'd expect from a camera. Worth considering.

It would also potentially explain how we could get to the flash-forward within the next episode; if Hank figures him out, Walt might have to go off on the lam for awhile, leading into the scene in the opener where he's buying a machine gun.

Just some random thoughts and guesses.

OMIGOSH, Yoda, on that second spoiler, we noticed the very same thing and even mentioned it!

And yes, it would all be a great tie-in to get us back where we started. But I'm unsure if that's going to happen at the end of this half-season or later. After all, we just passed Walt's 51st birthday and the season opened on his 52nd birthday.

Yeah, the timing is still tricky. If they're going to get us to the flash-forward this year, it has to happen dramatically. Grace's theory of jail time works, as does Walt going on the lam.

It's possible we won't see it this year, but...that feels awkward, to me. It'd be weird to show us that and not "reach" it until next year, where we'd have to be reminded of it all over. At the very least, I think the nature of TV narratives suggests that they have to put us on a clear trajectory to that point next week. But I guess we'll see.

Makes three who thought the office shot was a camera.

The season's been a nice build but not epic or with a specific trajectory. Shame they're splitting it as that episode didn't feel penultimate, not enough pieces are on place.

There's a really nice write up over at DenOfGeek, don't normally rate their write ups, often overly descriptive, but this gets to the crux of the characters and themes.

WARNING: "Breaking Bad S5E8" spoilers below
Holy crap, Yoda called it! Hank having the big realization (on the pooper, weirdly), looking up, no dialogue. That brief flashback. PERFECT. Little strange they didn't get back to Walt at the diner, but the episode is so tantalizing what with Hank and the way they left Jesse's arc, I can forgive them that. Roll on 2013!

WARNING: "Breaking Bad S5, E8" spoilers below
So glad they did it that way. Both because of the prediction and because, well, it's just an awesome way to do it. Would've preferred it were even subtler, because the point still would've gotten across. Maybe no flashback, for example. Hell, maybe without even showing the inscription. But still, what an awesome way to do it. This totally puts us into the end game. Now that Hank knows (or at least, VERY strongly suspects), the series has to build towards a conclusion. Hank can't jump on it immediately because he needs some proof, but he's going to start snooping around, and once that happens Walt really can't hide from it.

Interestingly enough, this takes us up to the flash-forward, just not explicitly. We know his cancer has to come back and he has to basically be on the lam. We saw him in the MRI, which covers the first part, and now Hank knows, which will almost certainly end up easily explaining the second.

Very excited for next year. This half-season was kind of different, and not quite as fantastic as the heights of season 3 and 4, but it works well when you think of it as setup for next year, I think.

Hey, *I* called it before Yoda did, I think! See post #565! I even said that's how the half-season would end!

And I got the part right about...

WARNING: "Recent eps spoilers" spoilers below
Mike being put in a barrel.

So there! I made some huge mistakes about Walt and the Lily of the Valley, but I nailed it with

WARNING: "Etc." spoilers below
... Hank and Mike!

So, how is everybody feeling now? With the half-season ending? With the long wait? With stuff they haven't explained yet but teased us about earlier this season?

A system of cells interlinked
WARNING: "Breaking Bad - S5 EP8" spoilers below
Halfway through the episode, when Walt was hiding the secret vial, they showed the Whitman book and i said "Wait a minute, is that the book fripping Gale gave him?? Wow, that's a pretty big gaff from Mr. Careful..."

And then BAM, Hank sees it 20 minutes later.

WARNING: "Breaking Bad, S5 E8" spoilers below
I think he stopped being Mr. Careful after killing Fring. He thinks he can do anything now, hence the two ridiculously brazen heists this season.

So, how is everybody feeling now? With the half-season ending? With the long wait? With stuff they haven't explained yet but teased us about earlier this season?
I don't mind a year of anticipation. To me, the characters are still "alive" as long as there are more episodes to come. Once the series has come to an end, they die, and a period of mourning begins. I know it sounds crazy, but it sometimes feels like you really get to know fictional characters, at least those that are depicted with some depth. Of course I don't mourn them as I would the loss of a loved one, but when I know I'm not going to see anymore of a series that has really engaged me, I feel a bit empty and can even get into a bad mood that lasts a couple of days.

I like to think it's a sign of empathy rather than one of mental health problems.

So, we discussed Hank's reaction a little bit, but we didn't discuss one of the bigger "twists" in that half-season ending episode:

WARNING: "Half-season finale semi-spoiler" spoilers below
What about Walt suddenly telling Skyler, "I'm out"? Is he really out? We saw absolutely nothing about HOW he got out, what that actually means to someone like Walter White at this point, or who he got to take his place.

We did see that final scene where everyone's socializing around the Whites' pool, meaning the kids have come home. We know Skyler wouldn't have allowed that if she thought he wasn't yet out, but how did he show her he's out? DID he? Would she take his word for it at this point?

Did that big storage locker of money finally convince him (with Skyler's insistence that she wants her kids and her life back)? We haven't seen Walt giving much regard to his wife OR his kids this entire half-season, so how did a big pile of money change his mind?

Or did he get the word that his cancer is back and decided to retire?

He did look astonished to see all that money, I'll grant that much. So, has the operation become too antiseptic and impersonal? When it's about nothing BUT money, is it no longer worth it? He went to see Jesse and reminisced about the crazy early days with the RV. Is he missing that spark in the beginning that he said made him feel alive?

Is it all these things (cancer and nostalgia)?

And did he hand over the reins to Todd and the international dealer woman (sorry, forgot her name!)? Or did Jesse get coaxed back in? (I doubt this last one is true -- Jesse looked unnerved by that bag of money and I doubt a huge operation would win him over at this point.)

OR, could Walt have meant when he said "I'm out" that he's simply out of the big cartel-business? Could he mean that he (along with Jesse?) is going to cook small again, for the thrill?

I see the cancer/nostalgia combo as a good one to get Walt to quit... but that first opening scene on his 52nd birthday with his hair grown back still has me curious as to what happens in the remaining half-plus year of story-time. Numerous ways to get there from where we are, and we know some of them involve Hank now knowing who Heisenberg has been all along.

WARNING: "BB S5, E8" spoilers below
If Walt is "out," that's a huge, huge turn for him. Huge. Even if it's "too late," even if his actions won't let him get all the way out (which is clearly the case)...even WANTING to would be a tremendous shift for the character.

My guess, then, is that he wasn't really out, or else wouldn't have been able to stay out. We may never really know, but it would be wildly at odds with everything else we've seen about him over the last couple of years.