Camo's Animated Show Reviews

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Big character appearances in the Animated Shorts HOF:

Der Fuehrers Face (Donald (1))
King-Size Canary (none)
The Cat Concerto (Tom & Jerry (1))
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (Daffy (1))
Steven Universe Season 4 Episode 6 "Last One Out of Beach City" (none)
"The Monk & The Monkey" (none)
A Tale of Two Kitties (Tweety (1)
Little Rural Riding Hood (none)
Transylvania 6-5000 (Bugs (1)
Hair-Raising Hare (Bugs (2)
Big House Bunny (Bugs (3), Sam (1)
Ballot Box Bunny (Bugs (4), Sam (2)
Captain Hareblower (Bugs (5), Sam (3)
Donald's Golf Game (Donald (2)
Cobweb Hotel (none)
StoryCorps - Danny & Annie (none)

Bugs - 5
Sam - 3
Donald - 2

If there's a problem it's Bugs in my opinion, especially when you include the Looney Tunes HOF which was mostly Bugs.

But you have to remember that Bugs is IN more shorts because he goes up against so many different characters, so it makes sense that he would be nominated more than the other characters. All three of the Yosemite Sam shorts also had Bugs Bunny in them, but the other two Bugs Bunny shorts had him up against different characters.

I'm surprised that there weren't more Daffy Duck shorts nominated because he was also in a lot of shorts. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure there were many more shorts made with Bugs and/or Daffy than there were with Yosemite Sam.

Yeah, i agree with you on Sam shorts feeling similar. Two of the Sam shorts were Nope's; think he's a fan of him the same way we are Bugs fans or whatever. If the next one has a rule limiting the use of certain characters i'll still take part, i just hope it doesn't turn off other regulars like Nope or JJ.

Am i right that you just aren't a big fan of Sam cartoons? If that's the case i think you may have noticed it more because none of the Looney Tunes Hof ones featured Sam and suddenly he was in 3 here.

We can ask in the HoF thread how everyone else feels about limiting the characters to get a better variety, and see what they say before making a decision. It should be a group decision, not just a decision made by one or two people.

I have nothing against Yosemite Sam, but sometimes I get tired of him because his shorts are all so similar, and after a while he starts to get a bit annoying. Marvin the Martian's shorts are all very similar, but I never get tired of him, so it's just something about the Yosemite Sam character that gets tiring after a while.

I have the same problem with Tweety and Sylvester sometimes. Some of their shorts are great, but after a while, they start to feel like the same thing over and over again. But again, it must be something about the characters because I don't have that problem with Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner, and their shorts are basically the same thing over and over again, but they never get boring.

Looney Tunes HOF

Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century: Daffy (1), Porky (1), Marvin (1)
Duck Amuck: Daffy (2), Bugs (1)*
Rabbit Seasoning: Daffy (3), Bugs (2), Elmer (1)
Drip-Along Daffy: Daffy (4), Porky (2)
The Scarlet Pumpernickel: Daffy (5), Porky (3), Elmer (2), Sylvester (1)
Rabbit of Seville: Bugs (3), Elmer (3)
Baseball Bugs: Bugs (4)
Long-Haired Hare: Bugs (5)
One Froggy Evening: None
Operation Rabbit: Bugs (6), Wile (1)
Carrotblanca: Bugs (7), Daffy (6), Sylvester (2), Sam (1), others (their only appearance)
Pappy's Puppy: Sylvester (3)

Bugs - 7
Daffy - 6
Porky - 3
Sylvester - 3
Elmer - 3

* Does Bugs in Duck Amuck even count? Take one off him if you want.

Looney Tunes HOF

Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century: Daffy (1), Porky (1), Marvin (1)
Duck Amuck: Daffy (2), Bugs (1)*
Rabbit Seasoning: Daffy (3), Bugs (2), Elmer (1)
Drip-Along Daffy: Daffy (4), Porky (2)
The Scarlet Pumpernickel: Daffy (5), Porky (3), Elmer (2), Sylvester (1)
Rabbit of Seville: Bugs (3), Elmer (3)
Baseball Bugs: Bugs (4)
Long-Haired Hare: Bugs (5)
One Froggy Evening: None
Operation Rabbit: Bugs (6), Wile (1)
Carrotblanca: Bugs (7), Daffy (6), Sylvester (2), Sam (1), others (their only appearance)
Pappy's Puppy: Sylvester (3)

Bugs - 7
Daffy - 6
Porky - 3
Sylvester - 3
Elmer - 3

* Does Bugs in Duck Amuck even count? Take one off him if you want.

Those numbers make sense because Bugs and Daffy are the most popular, and they were in the most shorts, so it stands to reason that they would be nominated more than the other characters. But if you think about it, even though there are several shorts for Bugs and/or Daffy, they all have a different feel to them. They don't feel like the same cartoon over and over again, just in a different setting.

And Duck Amuck is definitely a Daffy Duck cartoon. Bugs Bunny is only a cameo appearance.

But you have to remember that Bugs is IN more shorts because he goes up against so many different characters, so it makes sense that he would be nominated more than the other characters. All three of the Yosemite Sam shorts also had Bugs Bunny in them, but the other two Bugs Bunny shorts had him up against different characters.

I'm surprised that there weren't more Daffy Duck shorts nominated because he was also in a lot of shorts. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure there were many more shorts made with Bugs and/or Daffy than there were with Yosemite Sam.
Daffy was definitely in the second most after Bugs, it just so happened that i was the only one that picked a short that included Daffy there. It's the same way that Sam just so happened to be picked alot there, he isn't any more popular than any other supporting character as you can see by the Looney Tunes HOF post i just made. 12 were picked in that one and Sam only played a very minor role in one of those he wasn't even the main supporting character. I mean Sylvester made three appearances in the Looney Tunes one, the same as Elmer and Porky the other two main supporting characters. It really just depends who is nominating and what they go for.

Those numbers make sense because Bugs and Daffy are the most popular, and they were in the most shorts, so it stands to reason that they would be nominated more than the other characters. But if you think about it, even though there are several shorts for Bugs and/or Daffy, they all have a different feel to them. They don't feel like the same cartoon over and over again, just in a different setting.

And Duck Amuck is definitely a Daffy Duck cartoon. Bugs Bunny is only a cameo appearance.
I know it's a Daffy cartoon i was including any appearances and wasn't sure whether to include the Bugs reveal or not. They appeared 6 times each then. Sam is never a lead he's always a supporting character so your problem seems to be more with Sam since you didn't think say Sylvester appeared to much in the Looney Tunes one, Unless i'm wrong, probably am haha.

Daffy was definitely in the second most after Bugs, it just so happened that i was the only one that picked a short that included Daffy there. It's the same way that Sam just so happened to be picked alot there, he isn't any more popular than any other supporting character as you can see by the Looney Tunes HOF post i just made. 12 were picked in that one and Sam only played a very minor role in one of those he wasn't even the main supporting character. I mean Sylvester made three appearances in the Looney Tunes one, the same as Elmer and Porky the other two main supporting characters. It really just depends who is nominating and what they go for.

Yeah, it was just coincidence that there were so many Yosemite Sam cartoons in the second HoF. That could have happened with any character. It just felt like overkill because of the similar feel of the shorts.

I would just like to see more variety in the next HoF. Even if the same characters are nominated multiple times, it would be nice if they at least felt like different shorts. But that's just my opinion. It's not a rule.

It would be like if there were three or four similar Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant movies nominated in a movie HoF. They might all be great movies, but after a while, it's nice to have some variety.

I know it's a Daffy cartoon i was including any appearances and wasn't sure whether to include the Bugs reveal or not. They appeared 6 times each then. Sam is never a lead he's always a supporting character so your problem seems to be more with Sam since you didn't think say Sylvester appeared to much in the Looney Tunes one, Unless i'm wrong, probably am haha.

Sylvester has never been a favorite character for me, but at least the three Sylvester cartoons were all different types of cartoons. They weren't all Sylvester trying to catch and eat Tweety. The Yosemite Sam cartoons were all him going up against Bugs Bunny, and Bugs finding different ways to outsmart him.

Even the Bugs Bunny cartoons were him going up against Daffy, Elmer, Wile E. Coyote, a baseball team, and an opera singer. They weren't all the same two characters going against each other over and over again.

Yeah, it was just coincidence that there were so many Yosemite Sam cartoons in the second HoF. That could have happened with any character. It just felt like overkill because of the similar feel of the shorts.

I would just like to see more variety in the next HoF. Even if the same characters are nominated multiple times, it would be nice if they at least felt like different shorts. But that's just my opinion. It's not a rule.

It would be like if there were three or four similar Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant movies nominated in a movie HoF. They might all be great movies, but after a while, it's nice to have some variety.
3/16 shorts featured Sam. It wasn't overkill at least, c'mon?

If i end up hosting the next one i'm up for having a discussion about it beforehand, the only problem i see is that you seem to have a problem with the one character. If someone else has a problem with Donald Duck or Porky Pig or whoever it gets complicated.

I'm with you on variety and get completely what you are saying i just don't think everyone will agree on what is and isn't similar. I think i could play devils advocate and build up a case for Bugs cartoons usually being similar if i wanted to despite knowing and agreeing with you on them usually being more varied.

Sylvester has never been a favorite character for me, but at least the three Sylvester cartoons were all different types of cartoons. They weren't all Sylvester trying to catch and eat Tweety. The Yosemite Sam cartoons were all him going up against Bugs Bunny, and Bugs finding different ways to outsmart him.

Even the Bugs Bunny cartoons were him going up against Daffy, Elmer, Wile E. Coyote, a baseball team, and an opera singer. They weren't all the same two characters going against each other over and over again.
There's been 3 Bugs vs Sam cartoons out of the 19 Looney Tunes Shorts nominated and those are all ineligible now. I'd be stunned if there was a large amount again. Not even a quarter were Bugs vs Sam last time though so you are overstating it and are just coming across like Sam shouldn't be allowed now.

3/16 shorts featured Sam. It wasn't overkill at least, c'mon?

If i end up hosting the next one i'm up for having a discussion about it beforehand, the only problem i see is that you seem to have a problem with the one character. If someone else has a problem with Donald Duck or Porky Pig or whoever it gets complicated.

I'm with you on variety and get completely what you are saying i just don't think everyone will agree on what is and isn't similar. I think i could play devils advocate and build up a case for Bugs cartoons usually being similar if i wanted to despite knowing and agreeing with you on them usually being more varied.

Maybe overkill is too strong a word, but I think you understand what I'm saying. Regardless, it didn't affect my ranking them because all three of the Yosemite Sam shorts were pretty high up on my list. It just made it harder for me to rank those three because they were so similar, but they all ended up as a "pack" in my ranked list. (I think I ranked them consecutively as something like numbers 5, 6 and 7 on my list.)

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a rule. I'm just hoping for more variety in the next HoF. If that means that I can only pick one Looney Tunes short, I'm sure that I'll find something different for my second nom. In fact, I think I already know what my other nom might be. )

There's been 3 Bugs vs Sam cartoons out of the 19 Looney Tunes Shorts nominated and those are all ineligible now. I'd be stunned if there was a large amount again. Not even a quarter were Bugs vs Sam last time though so you are overstating it and are just coming across like Sam shouldn't be allowed now.

No, I'm not saying that Yosemite Sam shouldn't be allowed. That would be like saying that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck shouldn't be allowed because they've been nominated so many times already.

I'm just suggesting that people think about their nominations and hopefully choose shorts that are different from what we've already seen. (That's why I didn't nominate another Marvin the Martian short in the second HoF. I was trying to pick stuff that was different.)

Maybe overkill is too strong a word, but I think you understand what I'm saying. Regardless, it didn't affect my ranking them because all three of the Yosemite Sam shorts were pretty high up on my list. It just made it harder for me to rank those three because they were so similar, but they all ended up as a "pack" in my ranked list. (I think I ranked them consecutively as something like numbers 5, 6 and 7 on my list.)

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a rule. I'm just hoping for more variety in the next HoF. If that means that I can only pick one Looney Tunes short, I'm sure that I'll find something different for my second nom. In fact, I think I already know what my other nom might be. )
Cool, enjoyed discussing this with you. And especially glad that this seems to be a regular thing we're doing . In the next few days i'll start a Looney Tunes thread for us to discuss these things and hopefully entice people to join the HOF's. Ignore my last comment, i read them out of sequence and thought you were responding to something when it was me responding to an older comment of yours.

Cool, enjoyed discussing this with you. And especially glad that this seems to be a regular thing we're doing . In the next few days i'll start a Looney Tunes thread for us to discuss these things and hopefully entice people to join the HOF's. Ignore my last comment, i read them out of sequence and thought you were responding to something when it was me responding to an older comment of yours.

I'll watch for the Looney Tunes thread. I'm curious to see what the other people in the HoF have to say about this subject.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Since there are a truly wide variety of cartoons to choose from keeping a running tally and a wish for different mom's could bring variety and thereby, continued interest. . .

I do apologise for a concise response, I'm on my phone, presently, and I'd love to continue tournament/HOFs regarding cartoons

Since there are a truly wide variety of cartoons to choose from keeping a running tally and a wish for different mom's could bring variety and thereby, continued interest. . .

I do apologise for a concise response, I'm on my phone, presently, and I'd love to continue tournament/HOFs regarding cartoons
This is just my Animated Show Reviews because i watch them often. As i offered though; i'll put your reviews from the HOF in my first post if you want? I'll do that with everyone who takes part if they want, or they can start their own thread of course. If you want to Ed, i'd suggest you re-post your reviews in this thread (and i'll tag them in the first post) and definitely @ Gideon58 without the space as he's a big supporter of this thread

The most loathsome of all goblins
The reason i wanted to do this again is that i've been re-watching Bob Clampett's work for the first time in ages recently and i think he is my favourite Animation Director. He's usually quickly dismissed from the conversation because one of his most praised shorts: Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (which is fantastically made) is horribly racist but the problem with that is that all of the classic short directors dabbled in racist or otherwise offensive cartoons; i think personally they are best viewed as a time capsule of a horrible time but nevertheless expertly made. Clampett's other work is so consistent it is absurd, he didn't make as much as Avery, Jones, Freleng, Hanna/Barbera, etc, but i don't think any of them came up with such a high percentage of greatness either personally.

Honestly i find it difficult to put into words how much i adore the animation in this short, if i get the chance i'll put together a post later with screenshots of exactly what i'm talking about. Seriously watch the first thirty seconds with Daffy, his hiding behind the mailbox then later poking just his eyes round it, his talking to us and even the movement of the mailman and the letters is absurdly fluid. I'm not going to complain about modern animation here because plenty of it i love but there's somthing about you knowing this was made by human beings with their hands that makes everything especially the flaws and imperfections so amazing compared to the push a button and generate a perfect image nowadays. Personally this era of Looney Tunes is my favourite Animation of all time because it is not perfect in the slightest; you could point out loads of weird animation defects in this episode if you cared to look at it frame by frame (i have with this short before and quite a few others) nowadays pretty much everything has moved at least partially to CGI which is fine to an extent because it often looks beautiful but personally i'd take the look of The Great Piggy Bank Robbery over any film that uses CGI; some of those are better in content but to me you can't beat the actual Animation (movement) in these cartoons.

Anyway i went off on one there haha. Daffy here is amazing, i've always heard arguments over what is better the more wacky Daffy (like here) or the mean Daffy (basically all of his most famous shorts); for me it's Sophie's Choice because the animation was always much better with the wacky one but the mean one probably has my favourite moments. Here is the wacky one utilized perfectly in my opinion. It's an extremely erratic collection of gags and i think the way they are presented they can never get old; a more balanced short has periods without jokes that decreases the total number of jokes; which is fine What's Opera Doc for example have periods that aren't that funny but are great anyway because of the music, drama, etc. The ones that remain funny always are ones like this that are chock full of jokes to the point that you can't really remember what is coming up, i mean the part with Daffy with the magnifying glass is what 1 minute, 20 seconds? Yeah, i think that part has more jokes in it than some episodes of comedy shows it loves, and i personally find it really funny so my laughing always makes me miss the further part of that scene. I remember Daffy following the footsteps up the wall and ceiling was my favourite 'breaking possibilities' scene when i was a kid; again it's coz of the animation it's just how seamless him going up the wall is when it could've been an awkward transition where you see his body (or the wall) moving on its side. The part with the enemies is just some of the best slapstick ever and some of the best animation too. Daffy de-materializing to exit the door in particular is fantastic.

Sorry if this is rambling, i can guarantee none of my other write-ups will be this length; this one means alot to me and is the main reason i started this up again. I personally think it is one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.
Bob Clampett is a genius and The Great Piggy Bank Robbery is my favorite Warner Bros cartoon short. I'm glad you feel so strongly about it, I certainly do.