Yasujiro Ozu

Tools    

And, yes, everyone knows you have only seen one of his films. Which is why your constant complaints that you know what he should be doing instead of what he actually does are absurd. And why your claims that his use of simplicity is a flaw, is entirely uninformed. And why, when people make attempts to explain why these things work when you consider his larger body of work, that you constantly ignoring these points and just repeating what you already said like your some authority, and can't deal with being challenged, is extremely frustrating and results in people telling you you might not know what you're talking about.

But yeah, everyone else is being the *******.

I've only seen one Ozu movie, Tokyo Story, which I really like.

Who do you think is his spiritual successor that is currently working today? I nominate Aki Kaurismäki. His movie The Man Without a Past owes a lot to him.

He has a funny appearance in this very good essay about A Hen in the Wind, by the way:

Who do you think is his spiritual successor that is currently working today?
I have heard people say Kore-eda. Gotta admit I don’t really see it. I actually prefer Kore-eda. Don’t tell anyone in this thread.

Like Ozu quite a bit. Think I have watched 25 at this point. Tokyo Twilight is my favourite by a pretty wide margin. Tokyo Story is also pretty great.

For the record, if somebody finds Ozu too bland, I can totally see that. I agree with a lot that has been said in here relating to how his movies get right into a character’s being. That’s his magic, but not everything is for everyone.

I go to one of my favorite quotes, from George Eliot: “But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”
Yea, me, I know that’s Dorothea in Middlemarch. Who says I don’t know anything.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I have heard people say Kore-eda
Koreeda is more indebted to Naruse than Ozu.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've made this point many times in the past, but now it's your turn to hear it. Sorry.

When discussing art the word "should" makes me bristle. Which sentence makes me sound most reasonable?:

"I like werewolf movies more than serial killer movies" or
"All horror movies should be about werewolves"

You're free to find Ozu boring and you're free to avoid his movies in the future but elements that you don't enjoy are not necessarily "flaws". Halloween isn't flawed because Michael Myers isn't a werewolf, regardless of how I feel about it. If that's an absurd example, it's because I'm pointing out that an artist can't possibly satisfy every individual viewer's preference. Some viewers have stupid preferences.

I'm just suggesting that you'd get much less pushback from an "I don't vibe with Ozu" attitude as opposed to "Ozu fails at storytelling".
Yes, thank you. This.

And I generally don't mind when people criticize a film and say "I think it could have used more XYZ." I do that all the time. But it seems nuts to me to suggest that when the change would fundamentally alter the essence of the film. Like if someone watched Tape and said, "I liked it, but I wish we saw more of what happened outside of the hotel room."