Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

By Hulu - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74754690

No One Will Save You - (2023)

There are a few surprises in store for those who watch No One Will Save You - chief among them the tone of the movie, which takes this alien invasion/abduction movie in a more playful direction than I was expecting. It's not without terror, horror and suspense - there are bucketloads of that - but it's not big on documentary-like realism. Secondly, the fact that it's dialogue free - which at times for me was too much of a distraction. There are those who complain that 'one-shot' movies rely too much on that one gimmick - but the same held true for me in this, with all the various instances where you'd expect dialogue twisted and contorted into instances where it never happens. I was always too aware of it. All that out of the way though - it was a gripping, compelling ride which I couldn't tear my eyes away from. Brian Duffield has some imagination, and you'll see how various sci-fi alien abduction tropes have been combined in novel ways - there's not much that's particularly new, but all-up the utilization of ideas and Duffield's methods make for an entertaining movie night. Booksmart's Kaitlyn Dever also deserves praise for carrying an entire feature film without one spoken line - an enormous challenge. A lot of fun this - fast paced in a manner that never lets up, and full of surprises.

7/10
I JUST finished watching this one. I think my response was a tad bit less positive than yours, but I agree that it manages to take things in some surprising directions and shows some good flair for imagination.

Street Trash (1987) Street Trash relies on shock value and trying to be offensive and gross just for the sake of it. The story doesn't work very well and the acting is pretty bad. The score and cinematography are better than expected but overall this film is not very entertaining or very good.

I forgot the opening line.
I JUST finished watching this one. I think my response was a tad bit less positive than yours, but I agree that it manages to take things in some surprising directions and shows some good flair for imagination.
I look forward to reading your thoughts about it. I thought it definitely had a few major flaws, but I based my overall enthusiasm on the fact that once it got rolling I couldn't stop watching, even for a moment. It'll be interesting to see where it lands when 2023 is summed up early next year.

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Triumph of the Will - (1935)

Here's what I wrote on letterboxd in my misery after watching Triumph of the Will yesterday : "So many fellow film buffs have seen this and either simply logged it or rated it that I found it necessary to do likewise so as to be steeped in all manner of documentary filmmaking. What did I find, personally? Mind-numbing order, monotonous rhythmic stomping of boots, terrifying portents of doom with the advance knowledge we have and meaningless cries and calls for "strength, unity, brotherhood and peace" - it was a frightening, sad attempt at the formulation of a new empire in the model of the old Roman one. The shouts and cries echo in my ears, and the endless marching made me nauseous. I can't rate this - but I've seen it, and that's enough."

No rating

At the time I was thinking about how strange it was, watching Triumph of the Will and Flipped together - what a weird double feature that would make at the movies.

Triumph of the Will is definitely the creepiest movie I've ever seen, far surpassing any horror movie, mainly because it's real, not a monster fantasy or mythical war. I need to watch it again some time, just to make sure that it's as weird as I recall.

One of my way-back college professors, teaching history, was a guy who had been in the Hitler Youth in Germany back then. He saw all that sh*t up close and personal as a teenager and said that something people miss is that it had to be more fun to be in the party than to be anybody else in Germany at that time. By the time he got in the real shooting war, the scales were off his eyes and he found a way to surrender and spend the duration in a POW camp, but his insights into life in that world were chilling.

I forgot the opening line.
Triumph of the Will is definitely the creepiest movie I've ever seen, far surpassing any horror movie, mainly because it's real, not a monster fantasy or mythical war. I need to watch it again some time, just to make sure that it's as weird as I recall.

One of my way-back college professors, teaching history, was a guy who had been in the Hitler Youth in Germany back then. He saw all that sh*t up close and personal as a teenager and said that something people miss is that it had to be more fun to be in the party than to be anybody else in Germany at that time. By the time he got in the real shooting war, the scales were off his eyes and he found a way to surrender and spend the duration in a POW camp, but his insights into life in that world were chilling.
I've been told a story as well, by someone who was there during those years - a kid at the time, who was called up during the last years of the war to a Hitler Youth/Youth Brigade kind of thing. His mother was actually overjoyed - not because of any loyalty to the party, but because he'd be fed and clothed. During those tough years, she could hardly feed her family or provide for them. He'd had a sister born around that time, and she died due to the effects of malnutrition. It goes to show that a person's feeling about participating in all this could be due to circumstance as much as ideology.

Didn't know that about Heath Ledger and Cornish, not that it matters. The film itself was so-so in my view.

I thought Ledger was brilliant in this movie.
I agree, both played difficult parts that didn't lend the characters to sympathise, the point I suppose.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
huge fan of saw movie trilogy . loved the storyline and loved the gore so much im so happy that amanda is back shes one of my favorites and theres post credit scene also
loved gemma chan from eternals shes did amazing job and loved the storyline and loved the casting and the action scenes and it reminds me of A.I movie with jude law

Street Trash (1987) Street Trash relies on shock value and trying to be offensive and gross just for the sake of it. The story doesn't work very well and the acting is pretty bad. The score and cinematography are better than expected but overall this film is not very entertaining or very good.
Ages ago I watched Street Trash and rated it an 8/10. I'm interested to go back for a rewatch to remember why I liked it so much.

Smile (2022)

I think I have seen mostly good reviews of this movie here, and I really enjoyed it. It emotionally goes deeper into the subject matter than most horror movies. However...

WARNING: spoilers below
the ending still consists of smart characters acting dumb, which dropped the rating for me. The tall lanky monster at the end brought back visions of Conjuring and It Follows which definitely freaked me out though.

Macumba sexual (1983) I enjoyed this. It's beautifully filmed, stylish, and sensual with a dreamy feel to it. The story is the weakest part, but it didn't really matter because the film is so compelling and seductive.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

High Society (1956)

Not as good as Guys and Dolls. Has Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong to accompany Sinatra although Sinatra doesn't play in the house band. He's a reporter for Spy magazine, hired to write a piece on the main character Tracy Lords, but I didn't catch what she was famous for. Sort of a mediocre film with a solid story. The music is mediocre, not trying too hard. No problems with the content.

6/10

The Bib-iest of Nickels

It was about as stupid as I remembered. I did have fun with a couple of the gags here and there though.

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - First thing you should know about this going in is that it's not based on a true story. You would think it is. I thought so at first. But turns out it's a product of director Guy Ritchie's imagination. Along with Ivan Atkinson and Marn Davies. And I think they do a fine job with the screenplay. It's more grounded with none of the stylistic flourishes that usually indicate a Ritchie production.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Special Forces Master Sergeant John Kinley. During a tour in Afghanistan Kinley, along with his unit and his interpreter Ahmed Abdullah (Dar Salim) discover a hidden cache of arms and explosives at an abandoned mine.
WARNING: spoilers below
Alerted by one of the workers a heavily armed group of Taliban descend on their location. They wipe out Kinley's entire unit leaving only he and his interpreter alive. The two men are forced to shoot their way out and return to their base on foot. Kinley is eventually wounded and Ahmed ends up having to haul him over mountainous terrain for several days. When Kinley finally comes to he's been evacuated and has no recollection of what happened. It's only after weeks have passed that he learns the fate of the man who saved his life. Ahmed and his family are still in Afghanistan and in hiding. He's considered a high value target and the Taliban are going to great lengths to capture and kill him. Kinley tries for weeks to swim through an ocean of bureaucratic red tape to get Ahmed and his family visas. He finally comes to the realization that if he is to get them out of Afghanistan he will have to be the one to go there and do it.
Even knowing that this is a work of fiction it's still a white knuckle experience. The whole "search and rescue in hostile territory against overwhelming odds" has been done before of course but Ritchie does a very effective and mesmerizing job of drawing you in.

80/100

Boiling Point (2021)

Stephen Graham plays a talented chef who is struggling financially and personally to keep his head above water in a high end eatery. This is quite insular due to the nature of getting across the pressure and demands of a man trying to do the right thing but with pressures on all sides. Graham is the main interest and acts wonderfully...also a kindness and vulnerability in his part that comes across well. Probably the most underrated actor un the UK now. See his work in "The Virtues" a mini series.