The House, M.D. Thread

Tools    

I was very surprised when I found out dude was british. His american accent is flawless.
Check out this hysterical bit of pre-"House" Laurie Americana.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I might be the only one thinking this, but I really, REALLY liked last night's episode.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm of two minds. On one hand it was very well done and interesting, but on the other hand most of that came from the enjoyment of speculating as to what might happen next.

Spoilers abound for the Season 6 premiere, to anyone who continues reading...

WARNING: "House, Season 6 Premiere" spoilers below
I don't "get" the Lydia angle. I understand what they were trying to do, but where's the plausability? She becomes enamored with him after two brief meetings? She lets this strange man she barely knows from an institution take her car? Double-you-tee-eff? Totally took me out of it. They needed for him to drive off to the fair to move their story forward, I suppose, but that doesn't mean any old way to get there is fine. They could have at least had him swipe the thing, and merely have her forgive him when he brings it back in one piece. That would've been remotely believable, at least.

Kept wondering if Lydia was a hallucination, though I assumed they wouldn't resort to that again, and the car thing more or less sealed it. Up until that point it had a lot of the hallmarks of such a shift, however.

Still think they've written themselves into a bit of a corner, and that the series must inevitably lose a lot of its steam over the next season or two, but I think I see how they're handling this. They're not making House especially "nice," they're just removing Vicodin from the equation. His addiction has always been interesting, but I think they realized that for it to be even remotely believable it had to either get better or worse at some point. He couldn't just down them through five straight seasons without serious ramifications. He got worse, and eventually it got so bad it had to get better, and here we are.

Now, the drama's going to be all about the medical license, I suppose, and the miscellaneous interpersonal relationships, the threats of quitting and firing and the like. I think that can only take them so far, but I suppose they can still get a lot of mileage out of Thirteen's still technically secret relationship with Foreman, and her disease, as well.

Should be a decent season, but I'll be very surprised if this isn't a substantial turning point that turns the show from great to merely good for the next year or two. I also think it was probably inevitable. Characters like House have to either burn out or fade away, and the latter keeps the show on the air longer.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
After watching the season premiere, then watching last night's episode, I'm a little discouraged for this season. Hopefully, it'll pick back up next week.

Still of two minds over here. On one hand, I actually liked the premiere, and I really liked this second episode. I like them because, in addition to simply being funny and entertaining, a lot of very consequential stuff is happening, which is always interesting/exciting. But simultaneously, all these changes feed into the fear that they're a little cornered in regards to meta storylines. Short-term, it's fun to watch, but long-term I still feel like this season could be the last one that's genuinely engaging, and not merely a nice diversion. We'll see.

Amazingly, despite season 5 only just finishing this week, season 6 starts this Sunday in the UK!

Looking forward to seeing if they can revitalise the series.

I should probably add them. It's a little harder to say because I'm actually not being very spoilery, and this thread is basically only for people who are watching the show, anyway, but always best to play it safe.

That guy who plays House - Hugh Laurie? - is hot.

I saw a naked picture of him and I was very impressed.

I have definitely had a few fantasies involving him, but I've only seen the show a few times.

Dr. House have dealt with different kinds of Asian Patients. Harold is one of his patient then he took kumar as one of his apprentice.

Again. No malayan race is allowed in his shows.

10% of infectious disease is found in southeast asia

Uh, the show takes place in New Jersey. The overwhelming majority of patients are American. And it takes place in a high-scale hospital; how many extremely wealthy people from Thailand do you think are walking around New Jersey with infectuous diseases?

Also, I'm calling your bluff: I don't believe for one second you've seen every episode of House and know for a fact that none of its patients are from Southeast Asia.

ever heard of NEW YORK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York

do you know that you can find balut in new york?
everything is in new york.

--------------------------------------------------

House had a patient once who is in Thailand, but she's Chinese.

Uh, yeah, I've heard of New York. But the show takes place in New Jersey. I also find it interesting that you didn't answer this:

"I don't believe for one second you've seen every episode of House and know for a fact that none of its patients are from Southeast Asia."

Anyway, you're going to have to stop doing this -- like, right now -- or we'll have to ban you. You can continue to discuss this stuff, inane though it may be, in the thread you already created about it. But you're not allowed to start clogging up other threads with these conspiracy theories. If you want to talk about Southeast Asians in film, you've already got a thread for it; use that.

Originally Posted by dionysius
What is that supposed to be? A diseased testicle?