TV Character Tournament

Tools    

Yeah, I just saw that and sent a post comment mentioning that I don't recall exactly why I thought it was slow. Like I said, it's been a few months since I watched those episodes.
To answer that post comment here then do you remember what happened in the last episode you watched? Sorry i don't know it well enough yet to know each episode. There's an early episode that feels like filler until you realize in Season 2 that it wasn't at all, that's kind of a regular thing that when you think something is really pointless it might have some meaning later on.

That's something i love about it, so many shows have a habit of ignoring their plotholes or pointless storylines but this show has a habit of calling back to them much later with an explanation. It's pretty cheesy but Elliot while narrating often says something along the lines of "are you paying attention to me?", which i think is a hint that what he says isn't random pretentious nonsense but stuff that will be relevant later. It plays with the whole Lost puzzle concept, except the writers have properly thought it out so they don't end up in the holes the Lost writers did: they admitted they were making it up as they went along. And you also have to remember that we as the viewer are Eliotts subconscious, he is always entirely truthful to us at least as far as he's aware because he thinks he's talking to himself. This isn't a spoiler or a 'most characters who narate are doing this' thing, it's a specific thing introduced from the start that i don't think most people pick up on. Mostly because you are used to the narrator in movies or tv shows not being the character you are watching or being a future version of themselves talking about their past.

Round 2, Set 1

Captain Holt - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Cosmic vs Rick - Rick and Morty - tat
Ms. Swan from MADtv. - SC vsBlaine DeBeers - iZombie
Moss - The IT Crowd - Cosmic vs Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli - Happy Days - gbg
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri - The Sopranos vs chandler bing-friends - Topsy
The Trickster/Gabriel - Supernatural - Derek vs cercei lanniser-game of thrones - Topsy
Elliot Alderson Mr Robot - Camo vs Niles Crane - Frasier - gbg
Bree Van De Kamp Hodge, Desperate Housewives - Gideon vs sophie ann-true blood - Topsy
Rumpelstiltskin / Mr. Gold - Once Upon A Time - gbg vs Vic Mackey - The Shield - Cricket
Tony Soprano - The Sopranos - TONGO vs Carol from The Walking Dead - tat
Eric Cartman - South Park - Derek vs Ritchie Aprile - The Sopranos - TONGO vs Stringer Bell - The Wire - Camo

LOVE eric cartman though!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Round 2, Set 1

Captain Holt - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Cosmic vs Rick - Rick and Morty - tat
Ms. Swan from MADtv. - SC vsBlaine DeBeers - iZombie
Moss - The IT Crowd - Cosmic vs Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli - Happy Days - gbg
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri - The Sopranos vs chandler bing-friends - Topsy
The Trickster/Gabriel - Supernatural - Derek vs cercei lanniser-game of thrones - Topsy
Elliot Alderson Mr Robot - Camo vs Niles Crane - Frasier - gbg
Bree Van De Kamp Hodge, Desperate Housewives - Gideon vs sophie ann-true blood - Topsy
Rumpelstiltskin / Mr. Gold - Once Upon A Time - gbg vs Vic Mackey - The Shield - Cricket
Tony Soprano - The Sopranos - TONGO vs Carol from The Walking Dead - tat
Eric Cartman - South Park - Derek vs Ritchie Aprile - The Sopranos - TONGO vs Stringer Bell - The Wire - Camo

It's going to be ten matches per set, this one has one 3 character match and the next one will have two. A week as usual if anyone needs more time just say.

These are the only matches that I can vote in right now. (It's weird that they're all matches with my noms. Did you do that intentionally, or was it random?)

If someone hasn't seen the first 2 episodes of Mr Robot, do not read the following.
To answer that post comment here then do you remember what happened in the last episode you watched?
It started off in the Evil Corp headquarters where Elliot turns down a job offer. Something happens to his drug dealer, and Elliot confronts the dude (other client? supplier? I don't remember) about it. The F Society want him to blow up some building. He falls onto the beach at the end of the episode.

These are the only matches that I can vote in right now. (It's weird that they're all matches with my noms. Did you do that intentionally, or was it random?)
haha of course not. I'm not even sure how i'd do that exactly. All of the characters were put into a randomizer and i just made the matches as they ended up listed. Three of those matches killed me because they were between favourites of mine.

Thanks for the response, Cosmic. I'll respond later when i have a bit more time.

Thinking about the show has made me want to watch a few more episodes. I have last night's Westworld to watch first (unfortunately the morning show that was on during my lunch break spoiled the big twist ) and probably some other things I don't remember right now, but if I don't get to it today, it'll be sometime this week at least.

Great . As i said earlier you should give it another three episodes since you did say that you liked certain things about it, that will be half of season 1 and if it isn't working for you by that point i doubt it ever will. Either way i'll be interested in your thoughts.

Man i really need to get back to Westworld myself. I watched the first three episodes and was really enjoying it but i just haven't been watching any shows over the past few months except a few episodes hear and there so i can vote in matches for this tournament.

Thinking about the show has made me want to watch a few more episodes. I have last night's Westworld to watch first (unfortunately the morning show that was on during my lunch break spoiled the big twist ) and probably some other things I don't remember right now, but if I don't get to it today, it'll be sometime this week at least.
Spoilers are next to impossible to stay away from these days. I feel for you.

Ms. Swan, MADtv. - SC vs Blaine DeBeers, iZombie
I did remember Ms. Swan from what little I had seen of MADtv years ago (and remember her being occasionally funny), but watching it now it's hard not to see the racist stereotypes at play. Also, I found her to be far more annoying than she was amusing. I might vote for her over some other MADtv recurring characters, but definitely not over Blaine, who is easily my favourite character on iZombie.

Elliot Alderson, Mr Robot - Camo vs Niles Crane, Frasier - gbg
This is a tough decision. I could basically flip a coin and be happy with the outcome. Since I'm kinda into Mr Robot at the moment though, I'm going to throw a vote Elliot's way (even if I still find him a little less interesting than some of the other characters).

No update on the remaining 3 matches.

Oh Dang, perfect bump. I hadn't realized it had been a week nearly and you broke two ties. I'm just going to allow Cartman to go through since he is tying with my character and i love them both. Will get the next one up in a minute.

Captain Holt - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Cosmic 1 vs Rick - Rick and Morty - tat 2

Ms. Swan from MADtv. - SC 1 vs Blaine DeBeers - iZombie 2

Moss - The IT Crowd - Cosmic 3 vs Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli - Happy Days - gbg 2

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri - The Sopranos 2 vs chandler bing-friends - Topsy 3

The Trickster/Gabriel - Supernatural - Derek 0 vs cercei lanniser-game of thrones - Topsy 3

Elliot Alderson Mr Robot - Camo 3 vs Niles Crane - Frasier - gbg 2

Bree Van De Kamp Hodge, Desperate Housewives - Gideon 0 vs sophie ann-true blood - Topsy 1

Rumpelstiltskin / Mr. Gold - Once Upon A Time - gbg 1 vs Vic Mackey - The Shield - Cricket 3

Tony Soprano - The Sopranos - TONGO 5 vs Carol from The Walking Dead - tat 0

Eric Cartman - South Park - Derek 2 vs Ritchie Aprile - The Sopranos - TONGO 0 vs Stringer Bell - The Wire - Camo 2

Round 2, Set 2

David Addison - Moonlighting - gbg vs Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones - tat
coach taylor-friday night lights - Topsy vs Jayne Cobb - Firefly - Cosmic
Ben Linus - Lost - Derek vs Shaw-Person of interest - Topsy
Tim Taylor, Home Improvement - Gideon vs Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones - Cosmic
B. A. Baracus-The A-Team - Cricket vs phil dunphy-modern family - Topsy
Josephus Miller - The Expanse - Cosmic vs Al Swearengen from Deadwood - TONGO
Moe Szyslak - The Simpsons vs Junior Soprano - The Sopranos
Peg Bundy - Married with Children - SC vs April Ludgate - Parks and Rec - Camo
Lt. Columbo - Columbo - gbg vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket vsSawyer - Lost - Derek
Ralph Cifaretto - The Sopranos vs Captain Mal Reynolds - Firefly - gbg vs Walter White - Breaking Bad - Derek

David Addison - Moonlighting - gbg vs Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones - tat
Tim Taylor, Home Improvement - Gideon vs Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones - Cosmic
Lt. Columbo - Columbo - gbg vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket vsSawyer - Lost - Derek
Ralph Cifaretto - The Sopranos vs Captain Mal Reynolds - Firefly - gbg vs Walter White - Breaking Bad - Derek

Round 2, Set 2

Bri has her moments where i like her but sometimes i find her rather annoying aswell
more than fine losing out to the other one
¨Shaw is the kickass female character we`ve been missing for so long.

David Addison, Moonlighting - gbg vs Brienne of Tarth, Game of Thrones - tat
I forgot that I was going to watch Moonlighting.

Coach Taylor, Friday Night Lights - Topsy vs Jayne Cobb, Firefly - Cosmic
See above, but replace Moonlighting with Friday Night Lights.

Ben Linus, Lost - Derek vs Shaw, Person of interest - Topsy
Haven't seen Person of Interest yet either.

Tim Taylor, Home Improvement - Gideon vs Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones - Cosmic
Finally one I can vote in!

B. A. Baracus, The A-Team - Cricket vs Phil Dunphy, Modern Family - Topsy
This was an easy choice for me. I like B.A., but I love practically everyone on Modern Family.

Josephus Miller, The Expanse - Cosmic vs Al Swearengen, Deadwood - TONGO

I like Ian McShane, but I liked Miller and The Expanse as a whole so much I picked up the first book (and I'm not one of those people who really ever reads).

Moe Szyslak, The Simpsons vs Junior Soprano, The Sopranos
This was a close vote.

Peg Bundy, Married with Children - SC vs April Ludgate, Parks and Rec - Camo
I didn't like April as much as I liked Ben or Ron, but I still like her quite a lot. Peg was pretty entertaining, but I just don't have the same fondness for her and that show that I do for Parks and Rec and its characters.

Lt. Columbo, Columbo - gbg vs Jesse Pinkman, Breaking Bad - Cricket vs Sawyer, Lost - Derek
Jesse's my favourite by a wide margin. Sawyer would be second. Columbo's a good character, but not a favourite.

Ralph Cifaretto, The Sopranos vs Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly - gbg vs Walter White, Breaking Bad - Derek
I hope Walt or Mal goes through, because I'm not going to get far enough into Sopranos to vote in whatever matches Ralph Cifaretto is in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Round 2, Set 2

Lt. Columbo - Columbo - gbg vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket vs Sawyer - Lost - Derek

These are the only matches that I can vote in right now.

BTW, why are there two matches with 3 in each match? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have 11 matches with 2 each in them this round, and then only 1 match with 3 in it next round?

BTW, why are there two matches with 3 in each match? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have 11 matches with 2 each in them this round, and then only 1 match with 3 in it next round?
This is the last set before Round 3 so i wanted it to be 10 matches so there'd be 20 left with the 10 characters already through. The tournament started with 80 characters so the plan was 80>40>20>10>5 which will be the semi's one two character and one three character Semi, i wanted to keep that up. Next round will just be 10 matches with 2 in them.

That's it been a week. There's a few ties i'll just keep them open and try to get them broken tomorrow:

David Addison - Moonlighting - gbg 1 vs Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones - tat 0
coach taylor-friday night lights - Topsy 2 vs Jayne Cobb - Firefly - Cosmic 0
Ben Linus - Lost - Derek 0 vs Shaw-Person of interest - Topsy 2
Tim Taylor, Home Improvement - Gideon 0 vs Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones - Cosmic 3
B. A. Baracus-The A-Team - Cricket 1 vs phil dunphy-modern family - Topsy 3
Josephus Miller - The Expanse - Cosmic 1 vs Al Swearengen from Deadwood - TONGO 1
Moe Szyslak - The Simpsons 2 vs Junior Soprano - The Sopranos 1
Peg Bundy - Married with Children - SC 1 vs April Ludgate - Parks and Rec - Camo 2
Lt. Columbo - Columbo - gbg 1 vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket 1 vsSawyer - Lost - Derek 1
Ralph Cifaretto - The Sopranos 1 vs Captain Mal Reynolds - Firefly - gbg 1 vs Walter White - Breaking Bad - Derek 1

Will get the next one up in a minute.

Just realized next is round three thought there was another set for some reason. What i've decided to do is put all the characters in ties through to round three which means there's 25 characters left. I'll do 11 two character matches and 1 three character match so there's 12 in round 4 then 6 then a 3 character final. After this i'm going to make sure to break the ties before moving on.

Round Three

phil dunphy-modern family - Topsy vs Moss - The IT Crowd - Cosmic
Shaw-Person of interest - Topsy vs Moe Szyslak - The Simpsons
cercei lanniser-game of thrones - Topsy vs Blaine DeBeers - iZombie
Tony Soprano - The Sopranos - TONGO vs April Ludgate - Parks and Rec - Camo
Walter White - Breaking Bad - Derek vs Eric Cartman - South Park - Derek
Sawyer - Lost - Derek vs David Addison - Moonlighting - gbg
coach taylor-friday night lights - Topsy vs Vic Mackey - The Shield - Cricket
Elliot Alderson Mr Robot - Camo vs Captain Mal Reynolds - Firefly - gbg
sophie ann-true blood - Topsy vs chandler bing-friends - Topsy
Lt. Columbo - Columbo - gbg v Ralph Cifaretto - The Sopranos
Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones - Cosmic vs Rick - Rick and Morty - tat vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket

(Just realized this came up the same match that tied last time )

Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones - Cosmic vs Rick - Rick and Morty - tat vs Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad - Cricket

Round Three

ah man