May 9/10

→ in
Tools    

Ranking right alonside "Frailty" and "Dog Soldiers" as another modern under seen horror gem that delivers.

This "Carrie" meets "Frankenstein" tale unfolds with a confidence that allows us to laugh, cry, scream and love its charecters and superb visuals. From it's "Ghostworld" like intro full of quirky black humour and loneliness this movie is for the "weird" people among us (like me).

As the film gains momentum, the subtle tension builds and is slowly replaced by outright horror. As a viewer we are taken through the gamet of emotions thanks largely to the stellar cast inhabiting such well rounded charecters. We empathise with just about every player and as such the directors controlled
choices and brilliant script steer us away from our reality and into that of poor, misunderstood "May"

By the time the films conclusion came around, I was like putty in McKee's hand. Writhing in my seat at the tragedy unfolding, grinning ear to ear at the splendid visuals of blood and mayhem and praying for a satisfying wrap up.........which I got.

The script is tight and believable, multi layered and textured with humanity. The cinematography is superb with intimacy mixing with granduer to create some of teh most memorable imagery ina horror film this side of Argento or Hitchcock.

Make no mistake about it, MAY is a highly original, bold film from a debut director who will surely go a long way. Lucky McKee wrote and directed this film with such class and style that I cant imagine any fan of quality cinema not appreciating it.

Easily the best of the post "scream" horror films out of the US this is must see stuff for fans of psychological horror and quirky black comedies.

Do yourelf a favour and grab a copy of this bad boy..

Thanks for pointing out some little publicized flicks, Deckard. I'll be sure to check this one out.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong has been interested in this one for a while, but a theatrical release in Kong's town is still uncertain...

Hey KONG

For everything you need to know about session times, the official site and reviews follow the link:

www.joblo.com/index.php?id=1838

Lions Gate has re-released MAY on the bigscreen for limited release until the 15th of JULY. The above link will tell you where its playing and all about the film.

Come on gang, someone has to of seen this modern horror gem...................much like FRAILTY its far more than just a simple horror film.

Its riddled with Black Humour, social commentary and ofcourse elements of Horror.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I just watched this. The premise disturbed me, but I had faith, and watched it. It was wonderful! (In a horrible way)

This is highly original, brilliant, and very disturbing.

May is a wonderful villain, and this movie is one of the few great horror movies to come out over here in a very long time.

I highly recommend to anyone who wants to see a good scary movie.

I actually found this little perfect thing by chance. On TV, which almost always sucks, but very, very rarely, brings something nice I wouldn't have found otherwise. So, I wrote like a full review thing for this movie, so there we go, overly long and annoying. If you don't feel like reading, just read this: WATCH. THE ******* THING!

Yeah, the poster sucks. And the catch line too. But do me a personal favour and watch the damn thing.

Everyone says its genre is horror. And I don't know, it's probably some kind of horror. But just calling it a "horror film" would be misleading. I'd call it a comedy, a really, really dark one; a drama; and a little slasher thrown in the mix. Yeah, I know. There was a time a few years back when I was very obsessed with the slasher thing, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Nah, really, what it made me feel was like I was part of something weird and wrong and different, and that was just cool. And now, although I'm no longer obsessed, I still like to watch a nice stupid slasher film. The thing is, I know slashers are for the most part a pretty poor genre. Now, I'm not saying May is a slasher, but it has some slasher in it, if you know what I mean, and if you're the kind of person who absolutely hates anything that relates to blood on the screen, I'd say you probably won't enjoy May very much. Although who knows, you may... If you've can stomach some gore, (and by now, come on, you've seen way worse than what this will show you!), you might find a little gem here.

May has a lazy eye. She wore a patch on here eye during school. And kids can be little demons that use their little claws to rip away any self-love you might have. I wouldn't know anything about that though...

Aaanyway, she was always the weird one. A short introductory scene shows us her mother (a living Barbie doll) burned into May the idea that she's gotta hide her imperfections or no one will love her.

Now May is an extremely weird twenty something. The lazy eye is corrected by wearing glasses, and she now gets contact lenses that get the job done, so basically, her physical defects are gone. But she's already weird, she has a shy, awkward smile on her face, she gets all nervous when she has to talk to anyone, and it doesn't take before she says something that makes them look at her like a freak, and back away; and when she's excited about a conversation going well, the first moment she's alone, she starts replaying the conversation in her mind, and repeating the things they said out loud. But the main thing about her is simple: she's lonely. Her best friend is Suzie, a doll her mother gave her when she was a kid. Suzie looks at the world through the glass window on the front of the box. "No, no, no, you can't take her out. She's special," says mom when May wants to take her out of the box.

Lazy eye.

May shows Suzie that the contact lenses actually work.

Creepy and cute.

Freaks, they're everywhere. And freaks attract other freaks. That's why when May shows interest in Adam, he returns it.

"You don't think I'm weird?" "I do think you're weird." "I knew that." says May, nodding sadly. "I like weird. I like weird a lot." says Adam, putting an awkward smile on May's face. Adam shows May a short film he made for college. A couple is having a picnic, drinking wine, kissing and playing to the rhythm of Hanky Panky. After a few seconds, you're watching the goriest foreplay you've ever seen. Unless you're that kind of freak, and you've seen worse. Anyway, Adam is expecting the usual reaction, but May smiles at him, and puts his arm around her shoulders. "What did you think?" asks Adam after it's over. "It was sweet." "Sweet?" "I don't think she could have gotten his whole finger in one bite, though. That part was kind of far-fetched." There you see how the film jumps around between observing of May's weirdness, disgusting you, and making you laugh. And in May, just under the skin, something sad and tragic. Every time someone rejects her, you can almost see her heart break a little.

The other big character is Polly

the receptionist at the vet clinic where May works as the doctor's assistant. Polly's not the brightest girl. I mean, she's played by Anna Faris. So, Polly's attracted by May's weirdness. She's the kind of chick who likes to try new stuff. When she sees May cutting herself with a scalpel, she's fascinated.

All actors are perfect for their parts. Anna Faris as Polly plays a less idiotic, sexier version of her usual number. It fits with the part, and she does it well. Now, Jeremy Sisto, whom I know as Brenda's bipolar brother Billy in Six Feet Under (best TV show ever, by the way), is just excellent as Adam, a smart, attractive young man who's into weird movies, and can handle some weird stuff. But not "that" weird. And lastly, Angela Bettis is just perfection, there's no other word to describe it. If it wasn't for her, May just wouldn't work.

I suppose saying how much this movie affects me, says a lot about me. Yeah, I feel very identified with May. That's the reason why I also like Carrie (the book, not the movies, really) and Silent Hill (the games, not those piece of **** movies! Jesus!) which have some topics in common. Generally, I try to take an unpretentious approach to movies, it’s fiction, you're just watching what someone imagined. But if movies have a real power, it's the power to make someone who's watching it feel a bit less alone, feel identified and know somewhere, someone feels the same way. That's what May does for me.

I love to recommend a small film that probably a lot of people don't know, and that deserves to be watched. A lot of times I recommend really good films that are very well known. But this one, it was a cult hit, yeah, but there you go, CULT hit, not HIT hit, and probably a lot of the people who know it are hardcore horror fans. And this one, isn't exactly that. I think a whole lot of people would love it if they saw it, even if they're not into horror, and blood and guts. I think it's a great film, like I said, I'm already calling it my second favorite. It makes you laugh, cry, it's creepy, and if you're weird like me, you'll smile as you're creeped out.