Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I quite like The Philadelphia Story and I have an irrational love of Flounder. Actually, I have an irrational love of the toy. I have one of these.

Aww Honeykid, that's so sweet! You're just a big softy at heart!!!

One love for The Way Of The Gun.

I haven't seen The Philadelphia Story yet, but it sounds intriguing .

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I loved Disney when I had a single digit age but I had a bad surprise when I revisited The Lion King after nearly two decades, it was my favorite movie when I was 5, now it appeared quite mediocre. Did you find The Little Mermaid a better movie than the Lion King? It is also filled with songs and dance parts? I can't stand those parts
Yes, The Little Mermaid does have singing and dancing (at least fish dancing ), which is pretty typical of Disney. I like that sort of stuff though. I was in drama club and Glee Club in high school. I also took various types of dances classes from a young age up until I graduated. Singing and dancing in movies is usually going to be a plus and not a minus with me.

Do I think The Little Mermaid is a better movie than The Lion King? No, not technically, however I do prefer the former. I consider them to be pretty equal movies in terms of quality, so it's kind of interesting to examine why one is my favorite and not the other. Part of it could be that I enjoy the music more in The Little Mermaid, but that's not the full answer. A little of it is nostalgia, but I think a lot of it is that I found Ariel someone I could relate to and want to be like as a little girl and can look back fondly on as a grown woman.

And yet it's still more than that, I think, but it's not something you can always put a finger on. Everytime I go to put a movie on my list, I ask myself why I like that particular movie. I'm finding that I have preferences for movies with strong themes of friendship, that I like to examine what scares me and that I like movies with female leads that are strong, independent and unique. Sometimes, I really don't understand why I have such an emotional connection with a movie only that I do.

Enough rambling. I just find it really interesting why people like what they do and doing this list has been cause for much examination of it.

One love for The Way Of The Gun.

I haven't seen The Philadelphia Story yet, but it sounds intriguing .
I thought I remembered that someone else besides me and HK were a big fan of The Way of the Gun.

I hope you watch The Philadelphia Story. It's a well-written and acted comedy romance, but it goes a bit deeper than that. It's got more to say than most typical rom-coms.

Sorry it has taken me so long to catch up with your list I am really enjoying it

Immunity Idol It's not here. You still have to keep looking, but why don't you rest for awhile? Catch a creature feature. I always like the beginning myself.

B90. The Third Man (1949 Carol Reed)

This is probably the most visually interesting movie (non-animated) that I have ever seen. The shadows are a character in the movie in themselves and those combined with the setting of post-war Vienna make for the coolest background ever. Every time I watch it I want to be there. I want my world to look like that.

There are so many great moments in the movie, but the ferris wheel scene with Orson Welles is iconic for a reason. It's brilliant.

You won't find me talking about scores very often, but The Third Man has my all time favorite score and is the reason I even know what a zither is.

91. Ballast (2008 Lance Hammer)

What I thought would be dreary depressing, turned into a surprisingly affecting movie about the human spirit's ability to endure. Ballast is a quiet movie that starts right after a tragedy occurs. There is no score, no soundtrack and not a whole lot of plot. What you have is an uber-realistic, very natural movie about humans,who are at their core,are really good people that must learn to rely on one another.

I just realized I had the same picture up twice.

The Third Man really is brilliant. Anyone who hasn't seen it should remedy that asap.

88. Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964 Robert Aldrich)

So you're finally showin' the right side of your face.

There is nothing better to watch on a rainy night than Sweet Charlotte. I love Southern Gothic movies and literature. In fact, I wish there were a lot more movies like this. It has the historical old house (the keeper of secrets), scandal, murder, a ghost (or at least the possibility of one) and various crazy and notorious members of a prominent family.

Adding to these ingredients are the fabulous three female leads; Agnes Moorehead, Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis. The three of them together make for some bitchy, insane dramatic over-the top fun.

My Life in Pink (1997 Alain Berliner)

Ludo's life is in bright beautiful color; mainly pink. He wears princess wedding dresses and fantasizes about marrying the boy next door. All the normal things that little boys who want to be little girls do.

As expected, most of the world isn't as excepting of Ludo as Ludo is of himself. He meets attempts to normalize him with equal parts measure of obstinance and innocence. Ludo has no understanding of why he can't simply be himself.

That is where the beauty of My Life in Pink lies. Ludo is not a confused boy who is how he is and can't help it. He loves being pretty; he loves that he loves to wear dresses; he loves himself. It's everyone else who has the problem.

There is an infectious joy in Ludo and the movie tends to celebrate his differences rather than make him a tragic misfit . There is a scene where Ludo is dancing and completely in love with life. I don't think you need to be a transgendered child to appreciate those times when we are not only comfortable in our own skin, but happy to be in it.

I haven't seen any of the last four. I have been looking out for The Third Man, and that Hush...Hush one looks intresting.

My Life in Pink and Ballast don't look like movies I'd like though.

Do you have Netflix? I don't know if it's on instant, but you could always have the DVD mailed to you.

You may want to give My Life in Pink and Ballast a try sometime anyway. Who knows? You might like them.

I have Netflix but I checked and none are intant. I have The Thid Man in my mess a DVD queue though. I'll check if my local library has Hush... Hush next time I'm there.

As far as My Life in Pink it kinda sounds like Tomboy (which I haven't seen) but you might wanna check out. I think I'm still to conservative to be intrigued by movies with young boys in drag though

Tomboy sounds like something I would like for sure. I'll check out that out.

Yeah, I don't know the meaning of the word conservative.

86. Dracula (1992 Francis Ford Coppola)

The blood is the life...and it shall be mine!!!

I already mentioned that this was going to be on my list, so I might as well put it up. This Dracula movie is everything, in my mind, that a Dracula movie should be. Great visuals, gothic, romantic, spooky, dramatic and excessive, excessive, excessive. There are times when I like a stripped down natural movie, like in the case of Ballast, but sometimes too much is just enough.

Gary Oldman makes a perfect Dracula and Winona Ryder is the perfect choice to play his obsession. Too bad Keanu Reeves was cast, but somehow his dreadful acting almost works.

87. The Outsiders (1983 Francis Ford Coppola)

Stay gold, Ponyboy

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.
~Robert Frost

Yep. I love her books. It's been awhile, I think I might read The Outsiders, Rumble Fish and That was Then, This is Now again.

84. Psycho (1960 Alfred Hitchcock)

We all go a little mad sometimes.

Some movies just sorta crawl into your psyche and live there. Psycho is such a movie.

85. Wild Strawberries (1957 Ingmar Bergman)

I can't imagine anyone watching Wild Strawberries and not reflecting on their own life, or wondering what it will look like to them once they reach a certain age. This is Bergman's warmest film (of those I've seen) and a very compassionate one.

Victor Sjostrom plays his part with utter conviction, so that his redemption and his self-forgiveness becomes very important to me. His is a journey that I want to take with him over and over again.