Jb-hifi

Tools    

Went into Jb-hifi looking for The Handmaidens Tales & Dogville, what happens? They had no idea what the Handmaiden's Tale was or Dogville, and Dogville has been discontinued.

If you want the new blockbuster movie you'd have no problem, but anything a little obscure you're **** out of luck with jb-hifi.....

I work at Jb-Hifi as a DVD manager, and I agree there are some obscure films we just cant get hold of. Getting the rights to certain movies are a pain in the butt. It sucks when you see it online at amazon but can't get in australia. Hopefully they are rectifying it soon!

Welcome to the human race...
Not like it matters since you're banned and all, but JB has a pretty decent selection of "obscure" titles and the only ones I can't find are rare just about anywhere else anyway.

Do you mean The Handmaid's Tale?

I have to say that JB Hifi is one of the best places to get your DVD's in Australia. They have real great sales from time to time and there is always a huge selection.

Not like it matters since you're banned and all, but JB has a pretty decent selection of "obscure" titles and the only ones I can't find are rare just about anywhere else anyway.
I totally agree with you on this, I feel the same way.

At JB we always get those few customers who always want the 'obscure' films. And a lot of the hell obscure films either haven't been put onto dvd in Australia, or the films are through tiny film companies that they actually cant afford to put the film onto dvd. And when you try to explain it to those kind of people, they always respond with 'but its a good movie, so you should be able to get it'. Sigh.

Welcome to the human race...
How is it that there are people smart enough to know about obscure films and want to get them yet somehow not understand that sometimes they're nigh impossible to find? Regardless, I realised a long time ago that getting DVDs across multiple regions was the way to go if you really wanted to fashion a decent "obscurity" collection.

I just tell them that if they have a multi-regional dvd player they can just order the dvd off amazon. And they get mad when you suggest amazon as an alternative. And they will say something like 'uh cant be bothered ordering it off there'. And that just makes me think well you didn't want it that bad anyway.
But I will admit though that some of the dvd managers don't order in really good films, that baffles me at times and I can understand customers frustration. Like why a store does not have Army of Darkness, I will never know. I just constantly read movie books, scan all movie.com, blu-ray.com, imdb.com, and i read movie mags from the UK, AUST and the USA. I find the only way to such a good selection at a jb store is by researching. Having 1 of everything isn't a bad thing, there is always that one person out there will jump for joy if they come across Piranha 2: The Spawning - I know I did.