Which One Is More Dangerous?

Tools    

Which One Do You Think Is More Dangerous?
52.38%
11 votes
Smoking
47.62%
10 votes
Drinking
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You ready? You look ready.
Yoda and I had a very interesting conversation about the dangers of the two. Just thought I'd let the rest of the forum take part in the discussion. So tell me, which one do you think is more dangerous; smoking or drinking?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
By itself, smoking. A small amount of alcohol is not harmful, while a small amount of tobacco is, and can cause long term addiction; fewer people are addicted to alcohol than tobacco. Smoking immediately harms people around the smoke, while alcohol only causes harm to others in combination with driving, violence etc.

I voted for drinking for two major reasons. One being, when have you ever heard of someone dieing from smoking all night vs. drinking all night? A second reason is, alcohol messes with your inhibitions and reasoning. Even the tiniest bit can lead to some serious trouble. Smoking is addictive, yes, but the inherit and instant risk seem to be less of a problem than those involved with drinking.

Defining dangerous I guess is where I am stumped. More people die from smoking than drinking, by a big margin. Addictions of any kind are not healthy however, and I think that is the problem more so than drinking/smoking/drugs/sex/caffeine/etc..... I drink and get drunk on average once a week. I rarely get wasted or drunk to the point where I "lose it". After saying that though: I do not think it is healthy for me to drink, ever, but dangerous?...... In my case only my health and my liver will be the judge, bit if I got violent when I drank, I would not drink, I hate violence more than I like drinking.

Drinking is certainly more dangerous in the short term or individual/instantaneous moments, but smoking takes more lives. Oh, and heaven forbid if you smoke and drink..

Drinking is certainly more dangerous in the short term or individual/instantaneous moments, but smoking takes more lives. Oh, and heaven forbid if you smoke and drink..
Sure smoking takes a lot of lives but, does that make it more dangerous than say having a few drinks and getting behind a wheel or messing with something lethal? I'm sure if we were to count up all the deaths were alcohol was a factor, but not the main reason, it'd be a lot higher then we think. Which is why I think it's a lot more dangerous to drink.

This is a hard one to vote for.....

Take drinking for example. A person with a blood alcohol level in the range of .08 to .10 is considered legally intoxicated, (in most states in the USA) and it takes only a few drinks to get there. If you just drink occasionally it won't harm at all, but with stupid college ******** drinking kegs by the ton for what they would call fun raises their blood alcohol level to the max and kills them instantly!!!!

With smoking, it's even hard to choose. If you have smoked for a long time or even a short while, causes are cardiovascular disease, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), lung cancer, bladder cancer, pancreas cancer, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and many other MAJOR risks. Death can occur at the age of at least, from what I have witnessed, the early 30's.

does that make it more dangerous than say having a few drinks and getting behind a wheel
That is stupidity, not drinking...I have never driven a car after drinking. Drinking, prescription drugs, not enough sleep, etc... and driving is stupidity not addiction.

That is stupidity, not drinking...I have never driven a car after drinking. Drinking, prescription drugs, not enough sleep, etc... and driving is stupidity not addiction.
Exactly, I'm not talking about addiction, though. But like you said, that's stupid. Now, which one of these two is more likely to make you "stupid?"

Exactly, I'm not talking about addiction, though. But like you said, that's stupid. Now, which one of these two is more likely to make you "stupid?"

Women, actually have made me do more stupid things than anything else, maybe you should add that to the list......

Women, actually have made me do more stupid things than anything else, maybe you should add that to the list......
You know, I tried to think of something to refute this but, was unable to do so. You make an excellent point, I surrender. You win. Women are more dangerous.

Ok, I am going to ignore that Woman comment

Both are nasty drugs and not good for your health, i won't give you a list of medical problems associated with both, but there are many I only have this to say you can't die from withdrawing from Cigarettes, you can! when withdrawing from alcohol
As Thursday said a little Alcohol is not harmful and is even said to be good for you but smoking, there is no level at which it is good fro you.
It is still a tough question

I have no idea which is worse for you in excess. I'm inclined to lean toward smoking as the more unattractive, but I drink pretty rarely and moderately so maybe I would have something different to say if I was around people who drink heavily just to get drunk.

Also, I like to piss. It's fun.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I don't agree that smoking only hurts the smoker. I have never been able to force myself to inhale when trying to smoke anything. That's not an all bad thing IMO.

Drinking can also harm more than the drinker. However I know quite a few people that have a significant number of drinks each eve. They seem rather jolly, perhaps somewhat pickled at times.

I'd take that over walking around with an oxygen tank and chemo any day.

Sure there are rare times when I just want to get piss drunk.

Usually, I have no such desire. A glass of red with pasta is simply a nice addition to the meal.

Moderation is a thing to be prized.

crazed out movie freak
While smoking is only harmful to the smoker,
I guess second hand smoke is fine for the rest of us to breathe then.

i would have to say drinking as well. because of some of the things i have seen from drunk driving accidents it is horrific. but i have seen some terrible smoking accidents as well were people drop cigarettes in their seat while doing 60 or 70 down the highway pretty crazy.

in addition to what i said before how many times have you woken up in the mourning and not remembered what you did the night before from smoking a cigarette. just something to think about.