Soulmates: Romantic Notion or Immature Cop-Out?

Tools    

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
hei, thanx for the hunch, Moo!
what i meant is there is a difference between
1) feeling someone corresponds to your dreams
and
well now that you realize that you didn't express yourself properly and that Delilah was correct in calling you on it, you can grovel at her feet for forgiveness.

2) the absence of differences (in opinions, taste, etc...) between 2 persons.

as a matter of fact, among one's expectations, one can be that the perfect person *does* have different opinions and tastes
Indeed, desiring that one's partner or potential mate shares the exact same viewpoints and tastes, is an exercise in narcissism, not love.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
'What is a friend? It's a soul dwelling in two bodies.' - Aristotle

I don't believe that a soul mate is someone we're in love with or that we're going to marry.

Once of my best friends who i've known for years, I think she's my soul mate. She's like the other half of me (probably the better natured side too).

I dont agree that the notion of soul mates refers to partners. Think aboiut what you think a soul is first and then think about soul mates, we might have different answers.
It seems that the term has a slightly different meaning on your side of the pond. What you describe here, I'd call "kindred spirits". "Soulmate" here, would be.... did you ever see "The Music Man"? Shirley Jones sits in a windowsill gazing wistfully out at nothing specific and sings "Goodnight, My Someone", convinced that out there, somewhere, is one man who is already her perfect opposite, and they just have to find each other.

Originally Posted by Moo
I wouldn't even date anyone at this point unless I thought there was a possibility of a long-term relationship in it, i.e. we "click" or have really good intellectual/physical chemsitry. Doesn't mean I expect it to happen, just that the possiblity is there. It doesn't have to be "the one" - that's something you probably discover after a while anyway.

I used to waste a lot of time dating guys I knew I wouldn't want to emotionally invest in, just because I felt like going out and doing something. Then again, I wasn't even attracted to my first two boyfriends, at all, until months after knowing them on a regular basis, so what I'm actually saying is this: I have no ****ing idea, Delilah. Heh but you already knew that.
I wouldn't date just to date, at this point, either. I enjoy staying home too much. The 'soulmate' thing is often used to get around the criteria you're mentioning here, though. It's the notion (in the way I've heard the term used, anyway) that you can click with someone physically and they can be exciting, and you can throw out any objective stuff, like intellectual connection or emotional intelligence. For instance, I know this couple... ex couple, actually... and he's an addict. And he said to her recently "you can't walk away from this. You and I are connected deeper than any of the details of our lives", trying to make her come back to him, despite the fact that he's totally incapable of actually having a relationship right now. It got me thinking.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Moo
you can grovel at her feet for forgiveness.
even as a foot fetishist, i doubt it'll be in this life, my subjective lass

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Shy, sexy Scottish scorpio, seeks hot chick for long romantic walks, candelight dinners, exciting trips abroad and a lifetime of love and romance.
Will settle for kinky sex and fast food though!!!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Do you believe there is one person out there who is perfect for you? That's not to say they're perfect (hopefully no one expects that) but perfect for you? Have you ever thought you'd found "the one"? Do you still?
The perfect one is the one you are in love with at this moment. Yes, I have found him, I hope

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Will settle for kinky sex and fast food though!!!!!
or kinky food and fast sex??

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
It seems that the term has a slightly different meaning on your side of the pond. What you describe here, I'd call "kindred spirits". "Soulmate" here, would be.... did you ever see "The Music Man"? Shirley Jones sits in a windowsill gazing wistfully out at nothing specific and sings "Goodnight, My Someone", convinced that out there, somewhere, is one man who is already her perfect opposite, and they just have to find each other.
its not because im from england at all, its just that it think that the term soul mate doesnt have to be specific to people that we're in love with. I know what you mean when you're talking about soulmates I just dont think that it has to be a relationship with a partner. Even if I could prove that soulmates arent just relationship partners, i still wouldnt think that kindred spirits are the same as soulmates.

Incidentally I don't think theres someone for everyone. I think the idea of having one person out there who we're meant to be with is kind of like the lottery, out of how many billions of people on the earth, what are the chances of finding the one for you. Lucky for you if you find them and good luck to those that search but I'm happy finding someone to be happy with, not someone who im destined to be with.

Originally Posted by nebbit
The perfect one is the one you are in love with at this moment. Yes, I have found him
Ditto.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
..Incidentally I don't think theres someone for everyone. I think the idea of having one person out there who we're meant to be with is kind of like the lottery, out of how many billions of people on the earth, what are the chances of finding the one for you. Lucky for you if you find them and good luck to those that search but I'm happy finding someone to be happy with, not someone who im destined to be with.
Agreed. I think it's much more important to look for someone capable of resolving issues than one with whom you believe there won't be any.

More thoughts on love

I feel very strongly about differentiating between love and lust. Lust is an immediate emotion, commonly mistaken for love. Love is a concious choice that grows with time. I totally believe in true love. But I think that for a relationship to last it requires more than just love. A relationship needs commitment.

With my Calvinist inclination (I am not orthodox by any means), I suppose I do believe in soul mates. But of course there is a catch. I believe that two people can be romantic soul mates, essentially destined and made for eachother, but they both have to make a concious decision to make things work.

Soulmates are a romantic notion, but notion implies a sort of fairy-tale quality that midwestern sweethearts running a farm (the majority of soulmates I tell ya) never have. True romance to me, is love that endures. Soulmates become immature copouts when couples use it as an excuse to avoid asking eachother the hard questions. *It's in an immature coput to belive that love takes care of itself, or that love is all the provisions a relationship needs.

*I just realized that I've been somewhat doing this. I've avoided thinking about the religion question (he's Jewish, I am Christian), because I think that our connectivity will magically iron everything out.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Be afraid. be very afraid! Love is pain, with joys along the way. (or) Love is joy, with pains along the way.
___

And now that the callous bumper sticker slogan is out of the way, back to the nuts and bolts of "the common malady of love" (see Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express, new, updated version).

_______

You know I just cant leave without saying that I feel that people are breaking down the great machine of marriage and happiness. And it sucks big time. Why, I sat there in the room with my office mate, who I should mention is a guy of questionable sexual preference (why that's important? seems...), and listened to him drone on into the phone to some random family member about a male friend who is thinking of leaving his marriage, NOT because he has problems w/the wife, but because they are more "like roommates" now.

There's no pizzazz, so hubby dearest cant "justify" staying married?

???

WHO raised these people?? I mean, what sadist conned these people into thinking that an ENTIRE life of monagamy would be like a gigantic, life long honeymoon, and continual orgasm, a spring break of all breaks? Really! Real simple. Real, real simple.

I'd like to add to your thought Glittergirl. I also think that general happiness can be mistaken for love. If someone is generally miserable, and meets someone who shows them enough kindness to make them happy, I think that that happiness could easily be mistaken for love.

^

Love is something we strive for and seldom get, now lust is something we can reach, often get and rarely strive for, lust wins sadly in this day and age, although I think love and companionship are not the myth some people seem to think it has become, there are soulmates out there as such, it's just maybe these days people don't settle for one person because society today (and the high divorce rate) dictates that people aren't in it for the long haul and divorce has IMO aided the get out for one or other partner when the going gets tough.

When my parents got married (and thank christ they did or I'd be a complete bastard!) the divorce rate then was low because people stuck it out and worked through the bad times to get them to the better times ahead, then the 70's hit and mum and dad got divorced.

If divorce were not available then soulmates might find their club not so exclusive.

I'm a child of divorce myself, and as such I think it would be easy to assume that I would have an F*** you attitude to romance,love and all the trimmings.

However, I would like to think of myself as a fairly old fashioned romantic.I pull the chair out for my lady friends,I hold open doors,and most importantly,I LISTEN to them. This,I would think has something to do with being raised by three women,although,my two brothers are hardly the most romantic types(ones a PHD and a real cold fish and the other is a chef obsessed with sex).At the end of the day,I think divorce has had a profound effect on how we view the notion of love and the soulmates scenario. We are a generation born into broken homes and teenage pregnancy,where most couples could give a **** about being happy togther.They just want to be personally satisfied.And selfish attitudes are never a good foundation for a relationship.

I think being in a relationship is like being part of a painting in progress.You need to work on it for a real long time in order to divert the eye away from the brushstrokes.(Boy that's a metaphor stretched pretty thin,I know.)

Anyway,I still live in hope that the soulmate does exist. If it doesn't then I might just have to fall in love with myself.

Originally Posted by Dog Day Afternoon Nap
...If divorce were not available then soulmates might find their club not so exclusive.
Nor would murderers, but that's another thread.

Thanks for your thoughts, y'all, this has been a good read, so far.

Originally Posted by chris w
I'm a child of divorce myself, and as such I think it would be easy to assume that I would have an F*** you attitude to romance,love and all the trimmings.

However, I would like to think of myself as a fairly old fashioned romantic.I pull the chair out for my lady friends,I hold open doors,and most importantly,I LISTEN to them. This,I would think has something to do with being raised by three women,although,my two brothers are hardly the most romantic types(ones a PHD and a real cold fish and the other is a chef obsessed with sex).At the end of the day,I think divorce has had a profound effect on how we view the notion of love and the soulmates scenario. We are a generation born into broken homes and teenage pregnancy,where most couples could give a **** about being happy togther.They just want to be personally satisfied.And selfish attitudes are never a good foundation for a relationship.

I think being in a relationship is like being part of a painting in progress.You need to work on it for a real long time in order to divert the eye away from the brushstrokes.(Boy that's a metaphor stretched pretty thin,I know.)

Anyway,I still live in hope that the soulmate does exist. If it doesn't then I might just have to fall in love with myself.
I find myself in the same boat. Rest assured that for someone like you, there is a soulmate out there. Just make sure that you're ready for them when you meet them (even if it is yourself ).

Originally Posted by Dog Day Afternoon Nap
people stuck it out and worked through the bad times to get them to the better times ahead
Unfortuatly for some the better times didn't come, they were locked into bad relationships for ever, at least divorce allows these people to get out.