Have you ever applauded at the end of a movie?

Tools    

Randomly visiting for now
If its a premier then people are heaps more likely to clap. Actually quite a few people clapped (including myself) at the end of Good Night and Good Luck. That wasn't a premier but you could have predicted the applause from the age/type of people in the audience. I clapped at all three Lord of the Rings; one of those were premier. It could be a Melbourne thing.....or rather a Rivoli thing (the cinema where I saw all these movies).

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I've applauded for a bunch of 'em.
When I saw Pirates of the Carribbean, there was spontaneous applause the minute Johnny Depp appeared on screen. (Not just from me!) It seems more likely in Hollywood, though. I remember an outbreak of applause during the credits for something, when Giovanni Ribisi's name came up. Here, people usually stay for the credits, unlike back in Ohio when you were half way home by the time they ended.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Happens all the time. It isn't limited to just midnight screenings or even the end of the movie. Most recently, people applauded several times throughout The Hills Have Eyes. I had actually seen it at two different theaters and it was interesting to see what got applause at both places. Funny that people applaud violence either way...

I dunno what goes on in the US but where I'm from people rarely applaud at movies. I have applauded at home. But I don't think I've ever seen/heard people applaud at a theatre. hmmm

*TIME is nothing. LIFE is somthing*
there have only been a few movies I've heard appluase at.
the first time was one of the Lord Of The Ring. The Two Towers I beleive.

the second was at Hary Potter.

and the last most resent time was Hostel.

the funny thing is none of the showings were premeirs. just a bunch of people fallowing some over-enthuseastic audence member.

I'm with LordSlayton. There was a good amount of clapping at the end of the Attack of the Clones and actually at the end of The Phantom Menace as well. That was opening night at midnight though before everyone realized that they didn't like it. What I found more striking though was the amount of cheering and applauding at the beginning of that movie though. When the lights went down there was cheering, at the end of the previews there was cheering, at the Lucas logo there was cheering, at the beginning of the scrolling text there was cheering. It was almost 20 years worth of anticipation and supressed excitement all getting out at once (or four seperate times within a five minute span).

Just a girl who loves movies
Don't know if I ever applauded. I usually am left spechless if a movie is that good.

Yes, I have applauded, booed, and screamed.
I have appluaded at LOTR, screamed at Harry Potter (not scared scream) and booed at the end of the second matrix. Not because it was bad, but because it was suspensful. I also booed at the end of harry potter.

I clapped at the end of Matrix 2 because it was over and I got to leave. (I was with people that wanted to see the whole thing)

Originally Posted by geeWcee
Never been in a cinema where the film got applause. But us Brits are a bit shy........
As for Titanic, it recently got voted worst film of all time on Film 2003 (Uk TV program). I hate it personally, but surely some of the people who voted for it as the worst movie ever, actually own it!!!
This quote is old as hell, but I have to comment. Titanic, in my opinion, was not as great as all the awards and money it garnered. That being said, it was not, by a LARGE margin, the worst film of all time. This is an example of the worst type of elitism. It was "chosen" as the worst of all time simply because it was the most popular movie of all time. This is an attempt by those who decided that this is the worst movie, to simply sound more inteligent or intellectual than those millions of people who did like the flick. I can NOT stand those who try to convince people that they don't like a certain something simply because so many people do like that something. Reminds me of a fancy food critic that would never admit to liking a sloppy hamburger, simply bacause the masses generally do like a burger. It's "beneath" him.

Sin City. Saw it opening night and the whole theater was reacting to it.

I always laugh when people do this. Why not talk to the characters on the screen?

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I applauded at the end of The Return Of The King, but i was at a premier so maybe that was why. But it was an awesome movie so that might have been it

stranger then a drunken mime
I didn't but people did, the end of Star Wars 3 on opening night.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Symphony
I didn't but people did, the end of Star Wars 3 on opening night.
Seriously? People applauded Star Wars Epsiode 3?

I was tempted to applaud at the end of Manderlay simply because so many people walked out.

stranger then a drunken mime
Seriously? People applauded Star Wars Epsiode 3?

No, I lied.

the Chronicals of Narnia, everyone clapped for that one. not applauded but the first-person scene in DOOM had people out of their seats cheering

one of the only movies i applauded at was the preview screening of secondhand lions

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Titanic is one, back when I liked it. (let's face it, when it came out, everybody like it)
When that came out, everyone in my grade nearly went crazy over it. It got to the point where it was like they rated how cool you were based on how many times you'd seen it

I think I applauded at the end of a movie because it was so bad I was just glad it was over. Cant remember what movie though. . .

I don't think so. Atleast not yet.