Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Crimes of The Future - (Cronenbleargh, 2022)

A master of his craft. A must see for any fan of the director.

1st Rewatch...It's predictable and the screenplay is a bit syrupy, but this look at Eddie Edwards, the first British ski jumper to participate in the 1988 Olympics in Calgary worth a look, thanks primarily to dazzling performance by a pre-Rocketman Taron Egerton in the title role. Egerton disappears inside this role of a simple-minded but singularly determined young athlete who wants to be an Olympic jumper and finds help from an alcoholic former jumper (Hugh Jackman). The film aggravates at times because it seems like everybody in the movie is fighting Eddie in one way or another and the moment before Eddie makes his final jump and hears all the voices in his head ridiculing him is corny as hell, but Egerton definitely makes this film worth watching.

3rd Rewatch...The brilliant comic turns by Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller in the starring roles somehow manage to keep this slightly over the top comedy entertaining. Stiller plays Greg Focker, a nurse who accompanies his girlfriend (Teri Polo) to her sister's wedding in Oyster Bay, where he becomes engaged in an instant battle of wills with his girlfriend's dad (guess who), who is an ex CIA agent. The screenplay piles way too much on Greg to the point of stretching credibility, but there's no way they would do all this to the guy, who so doesn't deserve any of it and not snatch him out of it. I also have to mention during this rewatch how much I enjoyed Blythe Danner's rich performance in a thankless role as De Niro's wife and Polo's mom. She brings so much more to the character than in the script. Such a gifted actress.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

My rating too

70/100
I've seen it couple of times. It is indeed a cute film. Taron Egerton is really a good actor. He became a favourite of ours thanks to this movie. Then, we've liked him again in Rocketman (2019) and Tetris (2023).

7th Rewatch...The 1980 Oscar winner for Best Picture about an affluent Chicago family ripped apart by the death of their elder son is still the deeply moving experience it was over 40 years ago. Timothy Hutton won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his riveting performance as the tortured Conrad. And, yes, I'll say it again, I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks Mary Tyler Moore should have won the Best Actress Oscar for her icy Beth Jarrod. Robert Redford's meticulous directorial debut also won him an Oscar and that final scene where Donald Sutherland's Calvin explains to Beth why he is crying destroys me every time watch it.

My rating too

70/100
I've seen it couple of times. It is indeed a cute film. Taron Egerton is really a good actor. He became a favourite of ours thanks to this movie. Then, we've liked him again in Rocketman (2019) and Tetris (2023).

I thought he was amazing in Rocketman and robbed of an Oscar nomination.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Fallen Leaves (2023)

Directed by Aki Kaurismäki

Foreign language Golden Globe nominee, we've impatiently waited for this Kaurismäki film for months and finally we've got it. Very good and very depressing movie about the loneliness of the smashed people in the contemporary society.
The theme has a lot of common with the other foreign lang hit of the year: Perfect Days.

+
82/100

Woke (2023) Watched on Tubi. The acting in this is pretty bad. There is an interesting idea at the core of the film, but it is not fully explored and is poorly developed. It feels like a group of friends pooled their money together and made a movie on the weekend. That could have made for a fun or entertaining movie, but it really doesn't work here. The film is relatively short, but feels longer than it is. Skip this one.

Woke (2023) Watched on Tubi.
Did you go broke?

Day of Wrath – 1943 – 5/5 – a solid favorite, how it emulates a slow hypnotic way of behaving is highly inspirational.

The Devil – 1972 – 4/5 – a lot less controversial than i thought it’d be, actually watched it with dad, and he only moaned “oh brother” a couple times when there was some nudity.

To Have and Have Not – 1944 –4/5 – why don’t i watch more classic Hollywood??!! This was a comfort viewing, especially after the previous one.

Skinner’s Dress Suit – 1926 – 5/5 – this just hit the spot, with my gummies i was a little baby, and this film was my maternal nipple.

Osaka Elegy – 1936 – 5/5 – i like very much the structure of the oldies, how scenes were laid out, and i even started here to not have a smoke break for the entire film!!

Humanity and Paper Balloons – 1937 -- 3/5 – i’m to blame for not appreciating this as much as i should, surely will revisit it at a later time.

Once Upon a Time There Was a Country – 1996 – 5/5 – absolutely amazing enlargement of an already astounding film (Underground), will be finishing it in the words of Eric Clapton “after midnight.”

Daliland (2022)

Starring the great Ben Kingsley (Salvador Dali) and the accomplished Barbara Sukowa (Gala, Dali’s wife), this loosely biographical movie about the internationally famous Spanish surrealist painter in the 1970s (when Dali was in his late 60s/early 70s) is a bit like a crispy rice cracker: lots of crunch, but very little to savor.

Kingsley is one of the greatest actors of the past 60 years, and it is he who makes the film worth a watch. His wide range, and ability to portray nuance lures the viewer into his web to where we mostly forget we are watching an actor portraying Dali. Likewise, with her German accent (Gala was Russian), Sukowa paints a convincing portrait of Dali’s wife, as much as we resent her character for being overbearing.

The crux of the story is that Dali is in New York City for a gallery show. His NYC representative is obliged to provide an assistant for the Dalis, and he ends up choosing a wet behind the ears young man who is a low level employee. That employee (Christopher Briney) is soon drawn into Dali’s inner circle. The story is told from his point of view.
Unfortunately Briney was miscast, and was perhaps too inexperienced to handle such an important role. For that matter the role of Dali might have been ever so slightly miscast, notwithstanding Kingsley’s major league effort.

The picture put me in mind of
My Favorite Year (1982), where a young assistant is tasked with keeping the aged swashbuckler star (Peter O’Toole) in line and sober, although My Favorite Year was a comedy. Come to think of it Daliland might have been better written as a comedy.

The direction by Mary Harron was lackluster and uninspired. Her husband, John C. Walsh, wrote the script; and while certain events portrayed in the movie actually happened, the picture was largely fiction. With a life such as Dali’s, with a little more thought, a factual script would likely have been more impressive. The cinematography was very good, framing many of the scenes as fine art paintings. One gripe: Dali’s mustache was almost always worn by him with the long ends pointed straight up. In the picture it was always portrayed as curled, almost like in a barbershop quartet. Straightening the mustache tips wouldn’t have cost anything...

I’ve been a life long admirer of Dali’s paintings, so I appreciate MrBlond’s recommendation for the movie. For those of you who are Dali fans, if you’re ever in Florida, one of the two great Salvador Dali museums is in St. Petersburg. It’s an overwhelming exhibit.

Film rating: 5/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	dali_salvador.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	98940  

Darkness of Man (2024)

First film I've turned off for ages. Beyond bad - avoid.

Payback, 1999

After a daring heist, Porter (Mel Gibson) is left for dead by his partners, friend Val (Gregg Henry) and his own wife, Lynn (Deborah Unger). After laying low for a few months to recover, Porter returns to the city with revenge on his mind. He finds a willing accomplice in acquaintance Rosie (Maria Bello), but the odds are against him as Val is now in cahoots with big time criminals.

There was nothing to love or hate here, just hitting the expected beats and then end credits. Oh, here’s something to hate: the movie is pale blue and looks ugly in a very late-90s way.

I love this movie…have rarely enjoyed Gibson as much as I did.

Killer Body Count (2024) Watched on Tubi. This is a fun and entertaining horror film with good performances. There were a couple plot or character elements that didn't completely work for me, but overall I enjoyed this.

1st Rewatch...I absolutely love this exuberant animated musical about a Koala Bear named Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) who decides the solution to save his financially strapped theater by holding a singing contest. Primary contenders include Rosita (Reese Witherspoon), a married pig who is the mother of 25, but has always wanted to sing; Johnny (Taron Egerton) a gorilla trying to get from under the thumb of his criminal family; a white mouse named Mike (Seth MacFarlane) who thinks he's Frank Sinatra and has mobsters on his tail regarding gambling debts and an elephant named Mena (Tori Kelly) who apparently can only sing at home and freezes onstage in front of large groups of people. Think I enjoyed this one more than I did the first time. The auditions are the best...love the trio of frogs singing The Pointer Sisters' "Jump". Other highlights include Witherspoon and Nick Krull doing "Shake it Off", Egerton's "I'm Still Standing" and Kelly brining down the house with "Don't You Worry About a Thing." An absolute joy from beginning to end, and if you liked it, make sure you check out the sequel, which is just as good.