What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

I recently bought and watched Ichi The Killer, and this may have already been said on this thread, but it is the most disturbing movie you are ever likely to watch. Several of the scenes are a complete shock to see, they really do blow you away. You just can't believe that some of it has been done. I found myself shouting 'Oh f*ck me' and other such 'declaritives', which is really rare for me, especially seen as I watched it alone. If you enjoyed Battle Royale then you will like this film, as it takes Battle Royales' approach on things and increases it to an almost unbearable level. You will find yourself pining for some of the actors to have quick deaths and praying for some of the scenes to end, I guarantee it. Empire calls it 'A masterpiece of extreme cinema' and that is no overstatement. See it.

Appy-polly-loggies
I havent seen that movie but its one that I must see, I heard it was awsome!

It truly is. You should buy it the first chance you get.

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Does anyone ever find this thread to repeat itself?
Yeah, that’s the problem with threads that encompass a multitude of years and posters who have come and gone. It also happens when threads degenerate into lists instead of discourse, but that can’t be helped. And let’s face it…when a thread becomes longer, less people take the time to read it and then actually comment, but instead just add their opinion at the end. I’m guilty of it as much as anybody else. That said…

One of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen is certainly Naked Lunch.

David Cronenberg, a master of moody, dark, and oppressive films, delivers one of his most compelling and downright freaky films based on the equally strange novel by William S. Burroughs. Peter Weller stars in what I consider to be his greatest performance, though I haven’t seen his entire body of work. If you rent this, and like it, definitely check out some of Cronenberg’s other disturbing films like: Scanners, Videodrome, Dead Ringers, Crash, eXistenZ, and Spider.

Originally Posted by IMDb Plot Outline
After developing an addiction to the substance he uses to kill bugs, an exterminator accidentally murders his wife and becomes involved in a secret government plot being orchestrated by giant bugs in an Islamic port town in Africa.
I would also recommend to all you readers out there to pick up the book and give it a go. Don’t expect to understand it the first time you read it though, not just because it is so deep, but also because Burroughs’ style of writing is so hard to follow. He was known as a writer that wrote in his own language; using a peculiar mode of description that oftimes seems like it is an inside joke. Master of metaphors and nightmarish descriptions, it is unlike anything I had ever read before.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Neutral Milk Hotel
Clockwork Orange
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I've never heard of your choice, Loner. Will you please describe why you like it?

Neutral Milk Hotel
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I've never heard of your choice, Loner. Will you please describe why you like it?
Youve never heard of Clokwork orange?

Yes, I have heard of A Clockwork Orange.

I said, "I've never heard of your choice, Loner."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Well LordSlaytan, it was more disturbing than likable.

A woman mutilates herself.

The mutilations become progressively worse a the picture goes on.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Yeah, that?s the problem with threads that encompass a multitude of years and posters who have come and gone. It also happens when threads degenerate into lists instead of discourse, but that can?t be helped. And let?s face it?when a thread becomes longer, less people take the time to read it and then actually comment, but instead just add their opinion at the end. I?m guilty of it as much as anybody else. That said?

One of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen is certainly Naked Lunch.

David Cronenberg, a master of moody, dark, and oppressive films, delivers one of his most compelling and downright freaky films based on the equally strange novel by William S. Burroughs. Peter Weller stars in what I consider to be his greatest performance, though I haven?t seen his entire body of work. If you rent this, and like it, definitely check out some of Cronenberg?s other disturbing films like: Scanners, Videodrome, Dead Ringers, Crash, eXistenZ, and Spider.

I would also recommend to all you readers out there to pick up the book and give it a go. Don?t expect to understand it the first time you read it though, not just because it is so deep, but also because Burroughs? style of writing is so hard to follow. He was known as a writer that wrote in his own language; using a peculiar mode of description that oftimes seems like it is an inside joke. Master of metaphors and nightmarish descriptions, it is unlike anything I had ever read before.
Is your last paragraph a description of Naked Lunch? I got a little lost...
Burroughs sounds interesting. I appreciate word economy muchly.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Is your last paragraph a description of Naked Lunch? I got a little lost...
Burroughs sounds interesting. I appreciate word economy muchly.
Yes, it most certainly is. I was mainly talking about Naked Lunch throughout my commentary, but also wanted to give Cronenberg a plug by linking some clips.

Burroughs' books are tough nuts to crack. If you do pick it up to read, I think there will be much for us to discuss.

I believe that Holden has read it as well, but I'm not sure about anyone else. I'm an avid reader and love talking about books as much as film.

Continuity my strong suit is not.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Yes, it most certainly is. I was mainly talking about Naked Lunch throughout my commentary, but also wanted to give Cronenberg a plug by linking some clips.

Burroughs' books are tough nuts to crack. If you do pick it up to read, I think there will be much for us to discuss.

I believe that Holden has read it as well, but I'm not sure about anyone else. I'm an avid reader and love talking about books as much as film.

Continuity my strong suit is not.
If you and Holden both recommend it, I'd be a fool to miss it. I'll check it out.

I've read Naked Lunch, Junk, The Wild Boys, and have recently started in on The Place of Dead Roads. The first time I read Burroughs (Naked Lunch), I have found him very, very hard to follow, but I read on hoping that my mind would start to begin to focus on what it was reading. It didn't. The second time I read it, with this in mind, I gave up looking for any obvious storyline, and it grew on me. (I'm still afraid that I've missed the point, but I enjoy it nonetheless.)

The best of William S. Burroughs, though, are his spoken word recordings.

I'm still new to the world of William S. Burroughs, but what I can say is that he isn't for everybody, but it's at least worth a try.

I just posted a link to a clip for this one, nebbit, a few posts up. I like it too.

Appy-polly-loggies
Okay New Disturbing Movie, Hedwig and the angry Inch, My god wtf was that about!! well done , but disturbing!

requiem for a dream, the last 3 minutes are horrible!

Yeah, both those films have been mentioned more than once in this thread. Keep trying though.

Welcome to the board, Toby.