Actors who will always be seen as one character

Tools    

Jerry O' Connell- it doesn't matter if he's a scientist, if he's football player who gets stabbed. He can turn anorexic, he'll always be fat Vern from Stand By Me.

-Morris "Ricky the football star who got killed while playing the lottery" Chestnut- I've seen him in a few movies after Boyz N the Hood, he's not a bad actor. But in Under Siege 2, it was "oh, Ricky helps out Steven Seagal". Then in the other movies I've seen him in, it's "oh, Ricky has a relationship problem". There was an advertisement for a movie with him in it during the theatre previews, a lot of girls swooned when he came on. So I guess maybe they see him differently (or just loved Ricky that much). But I can't see his role and not think of Cuba Gooding Jr yelling "Ricky!!"

It's probably harder for TV actors to live down their roles, because they've been seen for so long as that character. An obvious example is Ed O'Neill.

He's a good actor, he actually never did comedy before Married With Children. That's extremely impressive since he played Al to perfection for so long. But he'll never ever live that down. I went to see the Bone Collector in the theatre and the crowd cheered and yelled "yeah Al!" when his name appeared, and then when he came on. I've seen him in other movies and it's impossible for me to see him as truly that character. He could play a retard with one leg and people would just laugh and say "how did he score 4 touchdowns with one leg?"

All of the cast of Saved By the Bell, except Tiffany Amber Theissen and Mark Paul Gosselar. Well, somewhat for Gosselar, but I've seen a few episodes of NYPD Blue and he's pretty believable in it, I don't see him as Zack Morris.

Check out THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra