Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User
I was thinking you would like it more
For me is much better than "You were never here". I saw your high rating about the second movie.

Yeah I went it with high expectations Ms.M and maybe that was my downfall. Still really enjoyed it.

Unregistered User

The Headless Woman (2008)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Big fan of the whole series and I rate the last one highly but this was such a disappointment. The acting was really really bad, with zero chemistry between the characters. Horrible plot and some of the dialogue was cringe worthy, not to mention almost every idea has already been used in the previous films! Takes a long time to get into the film and it relies too heavily on jump scares. Also, don't get too excited about Goldblum, he's barely in it.

But my daughter liked it so its all good.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
LotR
Some of its appeal, or should
I say Glitter rubbed off over the years and I walked off during the harps at the end. Still a good story and gollum dancing maniacally before the pit must have made Andy S. Happy.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Yeah I went it with high expectations Ms.M and maybe that was my downfall. Still really enjoyed it.

I can't disagree. Sometimes overflow of good opinions isn't welcome.

Roningai (1990) -

The cast was great and nailed with such interesting characterization. But the execution fell short and pretty underwhelming

So, why only 2 1/2? Visually, it's an amazing film. What fell short?
I dunno, it just didn't work for me. It started with an interesting premise but then it went downhill for me pretty quickly. I just didn't like De Palma's direction, there wasn't enough suspense, it looked dated, the soundtrack was horrible, and the plot was kinda sloppy, contrived and annoyingly improbable at times (IMO), too much so for me to be truly invested in the story. The climactic scene at the end where Sally is killed was a perfect amalgamation of the utter ridiculousness of the film - the cheesy slo-mo melodrama lost me completely. The black humor twist ending was a cool finishing touch but unfortunately I was so disappointed by the rest of the film that I was mostly past caring by that point.

That being said, even though I felt the movie sucked as a standard, typical genre film, I do feel that it might benefit greatly from being approached from a 'meta' perspective because it does seem that it's not so much about the events that take place on the surface as it is about the psychological subtext of the movie-making process and the work of creative imagination -a "movie within a movie" type of narrative. Definitely more here than meets the eye, so I'll keep that in mind when I rewatch it next time - that's what rewatches are for, after all.

Field of Dreams (1989)

I really got into this, there was a lovely undertow to the performances. I want to be Ray Liottas son 9/10

Sad that Daisy is being wasted in this bland and uninteresting role.

I rented "The Departed" from a booze/video store as soon as it came out...watched it twice in a day. A very impressive film. Tin hat on - one of Martys best.

Field of Dreams (1989)

I really got into this, there was a lovely undertow to the performances. I want to be Ray Liottas son 9/10
Good isn't it? Good modern fantasy.

Toni Collette is very good for most of the parts of the story...but she's got some weak scenes. And really that's the big issue with this film the core cast isn't very good.
I have an irrational dislike for Toni Collette but I was interested in this when I saw the reports about it, so maybe I'll see it and get rid of that prejudice. Gabriel Byrne's usually good though .

This might just do nobody any good.
So, why only 2 1/2? Visually, it's an amazing film. What fell short?
Yeah, that's the best De Palma, imo. It's like the great, leftover 70's paranoid thriller.

The Mummy Returns (2001)

One of my favourites when I was younger. I rate it higher than the 1999 one. Watching it again, I realise the humour just falls flat on its arse, and the pacing a little too quick at points.

None of the less, it's still very entertaining and a really good Adventure film. I also love how different the story is compared to the first Mummy film.