Hillary Clinton: Woman Enough

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The hell? Did you change the picture after Captain quoted it?
Captain is a little fast when he has his cape on. I was still deciding. Why do you ask?

Now that the conventions are over, I might be politically level-headed enough to reply.

Hmmm, then if I am misunderstanding, perhaps it's because you're trying to convince me of something I was already taken as a given. I guess on the Internet, there's a constant implication that you must defend a candidate completely or else publicly abandon supporting them, but I don't think that's the case, so you don't need to convince me that it's potentially reasonable to say "yeah, they lied, but I support them anyway."
I'll hold off on just saying "lied" because it means vastly different things to different people. But I'll agree that it at least seems that she was, at the very least, not honest and forthcoming about this issue. I find her more trustworthy than not trustworthy overall, but on this, yeah, she's been dicey.

The problem extends to the fact that I would write off a significant portion of it as damage control, but I think that, clearly, the damage control didn't work. So it was both un-forward AND tactically unsound. Which bothers me.

... she knowingly exposed classified information not because it was good for her country or consistent with her oath, but because she thought it would be good for her...

...what of the decision to setup the server in the first place? How can that be read as anything other than underhanded?
I'll be honest, where this line of argument loses me is that I don't see where she drastically benefits from having the personal email server. If she's conducting nefarious business, why wouldn't she just use another email entirely? When I can't get past that, I can't really theorize about what other reasons she could have.

As for the donations themselves, it's pretty straightforward stuff: someone gives a bunch of money and then is awarded government grants. Another is placed on the International Security Advisory Board despite being ostensibly unqualified for the position. I can list more on request, but you get the idea.
I'll definitely agree that money can buy access from either party, but I'm still not seeing QPQ. I can see relationships built on money, sure. I'm particularly suspicious of the second link on the securities trader, because honestly that donor didn't seem to give more than many other wealthy donors, but he was somehow able to bend the Clinton's will? That doesn't make sense to me why they'd stick their neck out for a relatively moderate amount of money (compared to others in the donor class, that is).

Could be, though part of me wonders if they get to where they are by being good at giving that impression. I interviewed a Congressman once, and I remember thinking that, between our segments on the show we were taping, he seemed surprisingly open and candid. It only occurred to me later that perhaps seeming that way with everyone is how one gets to be a successful politician in the first place.
Possibly. I'll also say I had a similar experience, but with lobbyists. I can honestly say 90% of the lobbyists I met with were actually straight forward and honest people. But I also had the thought that it's their job to seem that way (but I'll also say that a lobbyists reputation is everything in the legislature, if you burn a member, you'll never find an office that will trust you again).

I'll say this, though: I think the number of politicians who lie is a lot higher than the number of politicians who think (or realize) they're lying. The best liars, as they say, believe their own lies. It's often less about maliciousness than finding ways to stop asking yourself what's true before you say it.
I think this flows both ways a bit. I think politics can sometimes lead people to adopt very broad views on "greatest good for greatest number" to allow them to do some uncomfortable maneuvering, but I also think that's sometimes actually a good thing, and something somewhat undervalued by the public. Though where politicians often fail for me is when they pretend they aren't subverting some values to promote others.

It reminds me, I think I'd get the most information about candidates by watching them play video games that have tradeoffs. Just something where there is no absolutely right move, and they're forced into prioritizing. I'd love to watch them play Democracy 3 for example (even though I'll free admit it's a poor simulation of what the actual effects of policies would be, it's really good at forcing you to internalize tradeoffs).

So let's flip things around: why are you confident none of the exposed information was important?
Right now, because it hasn't appeared that while combing through the emails, nothing earth shattering seems to have been discovered? I guess part of this depends on trusting the FBI investigation. I suppose there's also the missing emails, but it really feel like something should have slipped through the cracks in the released emails.

Which issues do you think she can claim to be an outsider on?
Many, honestly. But one clear case that comes to mind is the military. I think that she has struggled against perceptions of women in commanding positions. To the point where you could even argue she's overcompensated to show boldness; ending up a bit too hawkish.

Aight, I'm dead tired (hopefully it doesn't show), I'll pick up again later.

What do they say about Hillary and Canadian relations?
As I mentioned before, trade deals seem to be fairly important and as you pointed out, we're screwed either way...

President Trump would do little good for Canada – but Clinton much the same
A Trump presidency will do nothing good for Canada, and the costs would appear through lost opportunities. The odd thing is that a Clinton presidency looks to mean about the same thing. This U.S. election does not seem likely to bring good outcomes for Canada.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle30121684/

Same Canadian mainstream media channel as the one with the Trump video...

Kim Campbell: Clinton 'will do it' if given the chance [video]
CTV News Channel: 'An amazing achievement'

Canada’s first and only female prime minister says Hillary Clinton has what it takes to be U.S. president and that Americans will like her better once they get to know her more

Kim Campbell told CTV News Channel that "if (Clinton) has a chance to do it, she will do it -- I think she will surprise Americans."
Link to video...
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/kim-c...ance-1.3008607

Looks like people are having a lot of fun with the hug photo.

Photoshoppers Go to Town on Obama and Clinton Hug
https://fstoppers.com/humor/photosho...ton-hug-140292

That was funny as hell!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I think people care more for the Bernie thread than this one.

Saturday Night Live needs to do a bunch of skits on the supposed Clinton "murders to look like suicides" list. So many people are supposed to have been ordered to be killed by the Clintons

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Not to mention all the people who died "mysteriously" before having to testify against her.

"Oops a barbell fell on my neck 5 minutes before I had to testify" <silence>

I think people care more for the Bernie thread than this one.

Saturday Night Live needs to do a bunch of skits on the supposed Clinton "murders to look like suicides" list. So many people are supposed to have been ordered to be killed by the Clintons

Stop being a sheep TONGO, clearly she staged the moon landing. Oh wait, wrong conspiracy...

After 35 years the Cinema Snob walks out of his first movie:

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw that director's first movie, and it wasn't well-made and was highly-biased, but it wasn't a complete embarrassment. This one has a 2 on Metacritic.

Interestingly, I saw a documentary from back in the 90's all about the Clintons - it was a story of lies and corruption (and even a few hard-to-explain ties to strange deaths).