East meets West

Tools    

I have searched out a thread or two of japan and have come up with ones of a more generic nature of Japanese films, before adding this one over the more specified rise of merging cultural film-making. Inspired by an article in a magazine I want to know of people's opinions regarding the slow rise of Japanese and eastern visual entertainment in our western culture.

There has been an extremely gradual climb of the coalescion between the two. Of particular note, horror films have been making the transition with the likes of Ringu and Battle Royale being amongst the most prominant, the former actually inspiring a less then promising remake that the public lapped up.

Also Anime is playing a greater role in the west. I live in England so perhaps I have not seen the extent of the Anime movement in America but I am aware that it is more prominant that way.

Older films that have marked this climatisation of culture include the likes of Akira, and the Godzilla remakes (inferior compared to the japanese originals but of note because the plot is taken from a Japanese film). Perhaps the earlier implicators.

All in all, I am seeing a growing rise and it appears to be growing still with a film starring Sarah Michelle Geller called, 'The Grudge', (extending a series of films from Japan) in post-production, amongst other rumours.

Along with the various Anime series' and films, including award winning 'Spirited Away' populating the conversation and blazing on our screens, it seems the east has caught our imagination.

Akira Kurosawa has always been one of the most influential movie makers in movie history. So many classics are influenced by one of his many great films, and since his death, I don't think Japan will ever really be able to match anything that he has done.

Hayao Miyazaki is the undisputed king of anime for western audiences, but his influence is a drop in the bucket, as with all other influences compared to Kurosawa. Anime won't ever really catch on I don't think, there was pretty good critical success for both Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but neither was ever able to break through into blockbuster status -- former making just over $2million and the latter achieving just over $10million.

American films trying to do japanese influence is like Japanese films trying to do american influences. It just doesnt work out too well very often, and so it will remain.