Swan's Movie Commentaries

→ in
Tools    

I don't dislike Spielberg, but don't absolutely adore him either. I think he's a good filmmaker who's made some great films. My favourites are Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, I think. But behind those three I'd probably have Close Encounters as my next favourite. I think it's a really good film. Spielberg knows the language of film well, how to set up shots, how to put them together to build up what he needs, and although it might be a tad long and silly in parts, I think when it's at it's best, Close Encounters has some of his best stuff. At times I think it reminded me of North By Northwest.
Yeah well, I think you're silly in parts.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Really. IDK. Spielberg has certainly made duds and I don't reckon he's as good now as he once was - haven't seen many of his recent flicks - but I don't know how you can watch a scene like this and not find it to be great filmmaking.

Spielberg's older movies are about fantasy, adventure, and wonder. Some of his newer movies are more about factual stuff. like war movies, so I prefer his early stuff.

Spielberg's older movies are about fantasy, adventure, and wonder. Some of his newer movies are more about factual stuff. like war movies, so I prefer his early stuff.
That's the thing. I feel like Spielberg is incredible with the fantasy and wonder stuff. I'm not crazy about his more factual, realistic films, which he seems to enjoy doing nowadays.

Yeah I think that's one of the main problems with his newer stuff, they're a bit dull and lacking in creativity/imagination like the earlier stuff.

Master of My Domain
Yeah I think that's one of the main problems with his newer stuff, they're a bit dull and lacking in creativity/imagination like the earlier stuff.
They also lack effort and energy, which IMO is the main problem.

I don't dislike Spielberg, but don't absolutely adore him either. I think he's a good filmmaker who's made some great films. My favourites are Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, I think. But behind those three I'd probably have Close Encounters as my next favourite. I think it's a really good film. Spielberg knows the language of film well, how to set up shots, how to put them together to build up what he needs, and although it might be a tad long and silly in parts, I think when it's at it's best, Close Encounters has some of his best stuff. At times I think it reminded me of North By Northwest.

Like when they're climbing Devil's Tower? That shot is similar to North By Northwest when Cary Grant is on Mount Rushmore.

I think Jaws is probably his most taut, "perfect" film, but Close Encounters is just the most enjoyable for me, and like Dan said has some of his best stuff.

Master of My Domain
Lincoln is my favorite Spielberg... said no one ever. Raiders is my fav.

Well, movies like Jaws and the Indiana Jones movies are not great movies. They are entertaining, and have interesting subject matter, but in terms of acting, cinematography, meaningful content, and other more important aspects of filmmaking, they are nothing special.

Someone's looking at that damn Geena Davis picture again. I wonder if Geena Davis realizes how much she's masturbated to.

Well, movies like Jaws and the Indiana Jones movies are not great movies. They are entertaining, and have interesting subject matter, but in terms of acting, cinematography, meaningful content, and other more important aspects of filmmaking, they are nothing special.
Close Encounters was groundbreaking in special effects. They did things that had never been done before. There were some effects that they didn't even know how they were going to do them when they started the movie.

That's the thing though, I think they are really well-done in those terms. I think there are a lot of reasons people can't see it though. His long takes are far superior than just about anyone who likes doing long takes, precisely because they are so invisible and manage to direct the viewers attention in masterful ways. With Spielberg, you're not meant to pay attention to the craft while you just sit back and enjoy the film - but it's always happening, always influencing your emotions and reaction to the film. At least, that's the case with his great films.

Another guest is sending "Song Tournament: Therapy Edition" to a friend. The entire thread.

It says "Guest is sending thread to a friend."

I guess by e-mail.

What kind of friend are you if you're sending them that stupid thread?! It didn't even happen. And I thought I was a bad friend to people.

Disagree. I think the cinematography and editing of those two films are what make them great films.