Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This is where I leave you

Four siblings must live together for 7 days after their dad dies.
I was expecting a sad, overly sentimental movie but this was actually pretty entertaining and well done.

I wasn't looking forward to it much but I liked the cast and wanted to see how Jane Fonda was holding up over the years. She was still pretty sexy! But I didn't immediately recognize her.

Tina Fey didn't bring much at all to the table. Mostly is a jason bateman movie.
I think it was more about a midlife crisis than it was about the dad passing away.

Breaking the Waves

I had much more than this typed up but computer crashed.

Damn. I would have loved to hear what you had to say, especially because your rating says that it wasn't an all-out masterpiece for you... Go buy a mac, you will never experience crashes again.

Damn. I would have loved to hear what you had to say, especially because your rating says that it wasn't an all-out masterpiece for you... Go buy a mac, you will never experience crashes again.
my macbook pro retina crashes nearly every single day. literally. it's pretty bad.

the only saving grace is i got an SSD hard drive in it, so it boots up really quick again after each crash.

my macbook pro retina crashes nearly every single day. literally. it's pretty bad.

the only saving grace is i got an SSD hard drive in it, so it boots up really quick again after each crash.
I'm no Apple fanboy, but that to me sounds like a problem outside of the very laptop. I mean, there must be something else wrong, it shouldn't crash like that and this often.

I have had my macbook pro 15" mid-2012 for three years, as it says, and I very rarely experience crashes and if I do I get why. I have never been happier with an electronic device than I am with my macbook. It runs smoothy, boots smoothly and all that. I installed 8 gigs of ram myself as well as an SSD, but it ran well before that too. Now it's just perfect.

Anyways, have you made sure to upgrade to the latest software and run some clean up on it as well and made sure the ssd isn't full?

If I upgrade my OS then my editing software won't work anymore. I'm stuck with OS 10.7.5 because I can't afford to repurchase a linear editor.
I see why that's a bummer, but didn't OS 10.7 (Lion) come out the same year as the retina macbooks? I just figures since it was a new technology to the mac that they would probably have some problems and there those would be solved step by step with new updates. I'm sure your mac would run better with a software upgrade, but you can always start by looking into other stuff outside of that (search the web or something, I'm sure it'll tell you a few tricks outside of those I wrote).

I've just come to accept that it crashes everyday. I always save often out of habit so it's never been a real bummer. If it wasn't SSD with a quick boot up I'd be a lot more annoyed.

It crashed because it's a wise computer that doesn't like negative reviews for Breaking the Waves.

Scream 2 & Scream 3, Wes Craven
Ok, I admit it. I also re-watched the first one. I find it that good.
The sequels, so far, are obviously less enjoyable, but still worth watching. I liked the third one better, actually. The whole movie inside the movie thing was kinda cool (especially the part in Sid's old Woodsboro house), the story was more interesting and the final plot twist was better executed. I had almost guessed it half way through the movie, but I only got the reason right, not the actual identity of the killer. The fake voice device had a lot of potential, but I think it wasn't used enough.
The 2nd one was meh. The transition from stupid and clueless high school kids to college guys who have "seen the horror" is not terribly smooth, and the mix of slasher and comedy doesn't work as well anymore (that's probably why I preferred the third one: it's a thriller and it's not ashamed of it), and the final plot twist was just a big no-no for me.
Tonight I will probably watch Scream 4. I am really curious about it.

So far, I'd give a 5.5 to Scream 2 and a 6.5 to Scream 3.

Big Trouble in Little China, John Carpenter.
If this movie had been just about the violent, gritty, chinese underbelly of San Francisco, with triads fighting eachother sparing no act of violence, it would have been a good movie.
Instead, it walks the path to awesomeness by adding Kurt Russel who has no idea what's going on, ninjas that shoot electric rays of doubious utility, monsters, flying duels and huge amounts of good old 80s nonsense.
7.5/10

Scream 4, Wes Craven.
A good ending to the franchise, that smartly references the first Scream in the way it's built. All the meta references are fun as usual, stopping right before getting annoying, and the villain could have been the best one out of all four movies if only he\she had more screen time before being revealed. Instead, probably for the sake of making the plot twist as surprising as possible, it kinda comes out of nowhere. Too bad the balance the first movie had between surprise element and knowing the killer was never replicated.
I don't know if this movie was written to be the final one or if it was supposed to start a new trilogy or something, but whatever the answer is I am definitely going to miss Sidney and it was nice seeing her grow up from trying to convince horny Billy to settle for a PG-13 relationship in what's probably my favorite dialogue in the franchise, to defeating everyone who wanted her dead.
Soooo I give Scream 4 a 6 and my final chart is:

1. Scream 1
2. Scream 3
3. Scream 4
4. Scream 2

Finished here. It's been fun.

Gertrud
-

A powerful final feature from maestro Dreyer. A film of delicate and subtle gestures.

Welcome to the human race...
Mad Max 2 -

Still got a lot of holes in it, but screw it, it's fun and I like it more each time I watch it.

Unregistered User

Whiplash (2014)

Finally got to watch this and it was most definately worth the wait. Teller and Simmons were both incredible and the connection they had was evident throughout. I really can't remember a recently released film that had me as gripped and enthralled as this.

Telling the story of a talented music student's drumming ability and his intense relationship with his teacher, Whiplash had me completely submerged from the very start. Containing comedy, psychological drama, tension, heartbreaking moments and of course great music this really is a stunning effort from newbie director Chazelle. What also impressed me was how the film stayed away from any needless twists and the temptation to over-complicate the storyline. Whiplash is about a young drummer's dreams of becoming great and how he goes about achieving this. Thankfully the story stays true to this.

Shame i missed seeing this in the cinema.

+ with room to improve

Unregistered User
Most of my MoFo activity is whilst i'm in work, which is why I cant really get much time to type my thoughts. Breaking the Waves was definately not the masterpiece that I was (not) expecting. It was ok but I found it needlessly long and at times too slow. I also thought the ending could have been a lot better. A shame as I you know I like LVT from what ive seen so far.

1. Antichrist
2. Dancer
3. Melancholia
4. Waves

for me, although I have Dogville on DVD which i think i'll enjoy.

I stayed up until 2AM today watching series and movies. I saw X-Men First Class. Actually, despite all the good reviews I read about the movie, I didn't think it was such a spectacular one. Sure, the effects are good and the actors also, but the story...meh...lacked something. 6/10

Whiplash (2014)

Finally got to watch this and it was most definately worth the wait. Teller and Simmons were both incredible and the connection they had was evident throughout. I really can't remember a recently released film that had me as gripped and enthralled as this.

Telling the story of a talented music student's drumming ability and his intense relationship with his teacher, Whiplash had me completely submerged from the very start. Containing comedy, psychological drama, tension, heartbreaking moments and of course great music this really is a stunning effort from newbie director Chazelle. What also impressed me was how the film stayed away from any needless twists and the temptation to over-complicate the storyline. Whiplash is about a young drummer's dreams of becoming great and how he goes about achieving this. Thankfully the story stays true to this.

Shame i missed seeing this in the cinema.

+ with room to improve
Very glad you enjoy it that much Samoan Lawyer