MovieMeditation presents... "His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films!"

→ in
Tools    

Sinister is definitely not too high.. Its too low

Love El Orfanato and Alien

Don't like Rosemary's Baby at all..

Personally I can think of nothing more horrific than being made sit through The Sound Of Music and Kramer vs. Kramer so I'll guess those two
I'm with you on the Sound of Music..

Master of My Domain
Alien is brilliant because it doesn't have an extra "s" in the title.

My guess for the Top 2:

1. Cannibal: The Hidden Version
2. Woman in the Dunes

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

2. Psycho (1960)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

Alfred Hitchcock is arguably my favourite director of all time, and while Psycho isn’t his best film nor does it receive a perfect score from me, it is still among the best horror thrillers ever created and a milestone in cinema on so many levels. It pretty much pushed the buttons on what would eventually become the slasher subgenre, and did so many things ahead of its time and beyond what you could get away with in the 60s. Apart from its famous twist ending and iconic shower scene, it takes plenty of twists and turns throughout, going through classic Hitchcock themes and a wide arrange of genres as well. You never truly have control of what is happening, which is something I really love about this film…

The pacing within the story and the constant structural consistency is simply spectacular, while the direction is classic ‘cock with plenty of tense sequences and clever cuts, not to forget the amazing and aggressive soundtrack that just rage away almost uncontrollably. A truly great blend of the manic and mysterious, which fits perfectly within the atmosphere of the film. The acting is great all around, but honestly it is Anthony Perkins who steals the show as the weird and intimidating Norman Bates.

Why is it on my list?
So obviously it is a classic; evidently it became an inspiration; clearly it is a respected milestone in cinema... But when it all comes down to it, the most important thing is how great of a film it is in its own right, coming from the mind of a very gifted director.

Master of My Domain
If you don't put Psycho on a Top Horror films list, you're a complete psycho! Great choice.

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

1. The Shining (1980)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
“Here’s Johnny”, swinging straight into the top spot of this list. Stanley Kubrick’s take on the horror genre feels like the picture-perfect portrayal of an actual nightmare and a shining example of crafting and arranging a horror film to illustrative and influential effect. ‘The Shining’ is simply so atmospherically impressive and visually expressive, that the horror comes creeping as a psychosomatic play on our minds and bodies, unwilling to the follow the rules of horror, or even the source material for that matter. An indisputable independent vision of a universally acclaimed novel, which is being brought to life in ways unimaginable prior to watching this film. Kubrick breaks down the door of a one-room thinking space, piercing the mind of the viewer, allowing his thoughts and feelings to flow freely and seamlessly together with every element within this film. I doubt there is a need to shine a light on this film, but a short presentation won’t hurt you, though it may bash your brains in…

I could continue to talk about how professionally put together this film is or how the filmmaking is of the finest kind. But what truly elevates this film to a level of extensiveness, painting every surface with the colors of the most bloody beautiful nightmare ever created, is simply the ambiance within the four walls of this hotel. Kubrick knows precisely how to generate this ghastly "gallows-feeling", bringing home a menacing and gloomy guise of loneliness. The sense of dead-silent emptiness is extremely unsettling, while the only sounds we hear are footsteps and the monotone sounds of motion, when Danny goes on his long tricycle trips of terror through the Overlook Hotel.

Why is it on my list?
I don’t think I need to mention how great Jack Nicholson is at playing an absolute psycho in this film or how fascinating the journey into Jack Torrance’s mentally-mutilated mind is. Everything is presented with beautifully dark pictorial poetry, which gives the entire film a sense of being trapped inside the hotel yourself, between all the dark secrets and unexplained happenings. This film hit the nail in the coffin for me, which is funny since it took some turns before I was absolutely amazed by this film. As of now though, this is definitely my favorite horror film of all time and will continue to be forever, and ever, and ever, and ever... Thank you for following the list, you may check out now. But before you go, please have a drink with me. It’s on the house...

THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO FOLLOWED MY LIST
ALL THE WAY TO THE GRISLY END!

Well that was disappointingly predictable. I'm surprised that only 1 Stephen King movie found it's way on. No love for Carrie/It/Salem's Lot? I shoukd probably make my own list sometime soon.

Well that was disappointingly predictable. I'm surprised that only 1 Stephen King movie found it's way on. No love for Carrie/It/Salem's Lot? I shoukd probably make my own list sometime soon.
Listen, dude. I respect everyone's opinion around here and they can speak their mind as much as they want, be honest, whatever.

But you have been here one month, and I've seen you trying to act wise in several threads, which seems odd since you barely know us or our taste in movies etc. If you had followed the list from the beginning or just cared to check the entire full list I posted a few pages back, which you asked me if I could post, which I did.

- If you did that, you would see that this list is NOT at all predictable. It is full of odd choices, like Thir13en Ghosts, Dumplings, Grave Encounters, Quarantine...

- It is full of classics but many of them listed extremely low for what should be predictable like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nosferatu the Vampyre, The Exorcist, Scream etc. ALL BELOW spot #35...

- I have Saw movies, Oculus, 1408 in my top 20, as well as James Wan films and The Others and The Orphanage in my top 10, both of which I would say aren't your typical top 10 material.

- The only predictable is the top 4 picks on my list, which isn't that odd, since when you begin to narrow in on your list, the term "best" and "favorite" begin to collide simply because movies like Alien, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho and The Shining simply are amazing films and therefore it isn't that odd that I like them very much as thousands of people do in the entire world...

So go ahead and tell me one more time that this list is predictable.