Je Suis Charlie ...

Tools    

The thing is I see your source and I'm not doubting it but the very state of being young is to have swagger and to be testing and saying extreme things to anyone doing a poll . I'd like to see some proper research into how young Muslims are being radicalised within European countries and how much help the European governments are giving to the Islamic establishment groups like The British Islamic Council to counter this. More importantly what we're going to do about our youngsters (they are our youth, not Muslim youth, they're British youth) being radicalised into extreme groups of whatever religious or political persuasions .You can see from the figures above broken down by country that there's massive differences - we should be finding out why.
I would think part of it has to do with integration

Besides you can't give someone 18 months in jail for thinking something. That's a state I don't want to live in.
Not just thinking but acting on it. Honestly the two brothers should have been rotting behind bars

Aziz Ansari tweeted something to Murdoch saying, "Shouldn't you and all Christians apologize for paedophilia?"
It's considered a Catholic problem, among priests. And it's a huge issue in the church. But I've never heard of any priest molesting children in the name of religion.

wanabe movie critique
I just hope relatives and friends of those who lost their lives find inner peace soon and move on, and that the french people recover from this tragic event. RIP to those who lost their lives.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's considered a Catholic problem, among priests. And it's a huge issue in the church. But I've never heard of any priest molesting children in the name of religion.
Do you actually think a priest could say they rape kids in the name of religion. Ashdoc made another similar analogy. The act is enough. You don't need a "I molest kids because I'm a Christian" T-Shirt... It's been going on for YEARS, and we know factually it's been hidden also by the church. I love those "We'll investigate ourselves" BS..

And the sad thing is, most kids don't ever say anything out of fear, shame, etc.. Just like rape.

Huh? How is that a response to what he said?

You're making no distinction between a religious person doing something, and doing it in the name of that religion. That makes zero sense, and the fact that you have to resort to such an obviously forced moral equivalence proves that the two acts aren't comparable in this context.

It doesn't even make sense if you ignore this obvious difference, because the scandals caused a lot of people to question Catholicism's teachings on this matter, and wonder aloud whether or not their strictures on priests helped contribute to the problem. Pretty much the exact same thing people are asking about Islam.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Here you are Ms Brigitte Gabriel, founder, president and CEO of Act! America. Here's the 'irrelevant peaceful majority'

Over three million people turned out to show solidarity in France today

And here's another 'irrevelant' muslim:

Muslim who helped hide kosher market's customers to become a French citizen

(CNN) Lassana Bathily risked his own life to help save others; he is a Muslim who protected Jews in the face of an armed terrorist.

Now the French government is helping out Bathily -- by making him a citizen.

The Malian native's citizenship application, which he filed in July 2014, will be expedited, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve announced on Thursday. Cazeneuve will conduct Bathily's citizenship ceremony himself on January 20.

This event will add to what has been an emotional few weeks for Bathily, starting with his heroic actions last Friday, after a gunman burst in while he was working at the kosher Hyper Cacher grocery store, near Paris' Porte de Vincennes. The man took several people hostage, but not the 15 that Bathily led downstairs into a walk-in freezer. Bathily, who describes himself as a "practicing Muslim," told CNN affiliate BFMTV he switched off the freezer, turned off the lights and told everyone to stay calm. "I'm the one (who) is going to go out," the 24-year-old reportedly told the customers. "I took the elevator and went upstairs."

Bathily told BFMTV that he went up after the hostage-taker -- whom authorities have identified as Amedy Coulibaly -- "asked us to all come upstairs."

If they didn't? "Otherwise, he would kill everyone who was downstairs," the young man said.

So Bathily did go upstairs, taking up a freight elevator. But he didn't go toward Coulibaly. Instead, he ran outside. Police apprehended Bathily there, and he told them the location of the freezer and gave details about those inside.

"When (the hostages) came out, they congratulated me," Bathily told BFMTV.

That's because his actions might have saved their lives. Four people, plus the gunman, ended up being killed by the time the hostage situation ended.French media quickly ran with the story of Bathily, with L'Express newspaper proclaiming "Lassana Bathily, "Malian Muslim, hero of the hostage situation in Vincennes."

People around the world also cheered Bathily, with about 300,000 signing a Change.org petition asking that he be given Legion d'Honneur, a highly prestigious award given to those who done exceptional things for France.

"Even in darkness and desolation, there's always a ray of light somewhere," wrote the petition's creator, Thiaba Bruni. "Such is the case with Lassana Bathily."

Such positive recognition was also all over Facebook, where a man who claimed to be Bathily's cousin, Abdoul Bathily, posted, "Lass Bathily, you showed courage yesterday. The rest of the world would not have done it."

Another person wrote, "I have no words to express my pride in you. You put your life in danger to save others. God saw all of it, and his mercy will be without fault. You are blessed in the eyes of humanity."

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Always the copycat effect... At what point should the media stop giving assassins the attention they wanted? Not to mention the groups they might be with. Every thing is "Breaking News" and it's old. Piecemeal news.

We have another breaking report of a missile heading towards.... right after these messages.

Rolling news is one of my big bugbears, though I don't know if this was a copycat or not.

I've not really looked at it, so I might have the wrong end of the stick here, but I see some people talking about the Pope and what he said about reacting with violence. Now, while I see their point in that he's the Pope, God's emissary on Earth and leader of the Catholic Christians and Chirst saying turn the other cheek and all that. With that criticism I'm fine, however, some of the criticism seems to be that, in light of recent events, he should be trying to calm religious tensions rather than inferring that they (the terrorists) had some justification for their actions as they'd been provoked. Were these people speaking out against this weeks edition of Charlie Hebdon?

I understand what they did and why they did it and, of course, they have the right to do it and not fear any threat or violence from it. However, larger picture? Would it have been 'better' to've had a blank page or soemthing and acknowledge that, yes we could've posted a picture of Mohammed crying with the message "Je Suis Charie" and we might do next week, the week after and forever, but as we also have the right not to, we decided, given the last week, not to.