Casting "The Dark Knight Returns"

Tools    

It was possibly Frank Milers greatest work. The story of how an old man who used to be Batman decides he would go at it one more time. Bruce Wayne is heavy, somewhat gimped up from years of extreme physical abuse, but feels the call as strong now as he did in his youth.

First things first, who would be perfect for this Batman?

Bruce Willis as Bruce Wayne

He has the age, and they could afford to make him look even older. He can play someone with presence, grit, and isnt a stranger to acting nor action. His lack of hair works for him now too. Im surprised myself how good a fit this would be for Willis.

Next up is the old Joker.

How about Ben Affleck who is already playing Batman?
You know Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is going to draw heavily from The Dark Knight Returns, right?

"Director Zack Snyder has said his upcoming film will draw inspiration coming from the iconic "The Dark Knight Returns" graphic novel, so Lee's statement about the "boxer physique" definitely seems to ring true. The climactic battle of "The Dark Knight Returns" has Batman and Superman engaging in a brutal one-on-one slugfest, and judging from the the title of the movie alone one would expect the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight to come to blows."

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Yeah I heard Snyder was borrowing heavily from TDKR, and he's smart to. No to Ben Affleck as you specifically want a guy that looks to be in his late fifties early sixties. I do realize the wonders of makeup and CGI can make anyone look any age, and if they were going that route they could just cast Christian Bale. Though Bale wouldnt do it unless Nolans directing it.

Plainly put, in a tough guy role Bruce Willis dominates Ben Affleck, by alot! Affleck has yet to prove he can be successful in that genre. Daredevil certainly didnt do it, and Im not sold he'll be a good Bruce Wayne in Batman vs Superman even. That sale has not been made yet

Frank Millers Joker was older, calmer, way less animated, and still crazy as a loon. Now Jack Nicholson would be just too damn old to reprise this role, and who would have been perfect for an old man Joker was Robin Williams. That observation brings sadness, but Robin would have killed-it in a TDKR movie playing The Joker.

Who then?! Casting an old Joker means he'd have to look sensible opposite Bruce Willis. Jim Carrey seems like an obvious choice, but he already wasa soooooooooo over the top as The Riddler. I dont know, I just dont feel he'd bring anything new other than what hes shown already.

The Joker played by Brad Pitt.

I think he'd surprise displaying a sly sinister side, and then explosive maniacalness. He wouldn't show up Heath Ledger, but Pitt would do great. People might think this choice odd, and it would definitely be a turn for Pitt to take on this type role, but early in his career he pulled off incredibly animated stuff (12 Monkeys), and has played a psychopath flawlessly before (Kalifornia). Charm?! Oh yeah. (Every other movie he made)

I thought the dark knight strikes again was the follow up to the dark knight returns...

I know he's not apart of the story, but I've been saying if they were to use Riddler again, cast Jackie Earle Haley! He would be great, plus he's already worked with Snyder before (IF he was the one helming the project)

Jackie Earle Haley is really really short. I dont know if that would take away his chances of being Riddler, but I picture that character to be somewhat of a fast talker. Dont think Haleys that. I think Edward Norton would be a good Riddler, but whatever happened to him? He just fell off the face of the earth.

Another twist coming

Frank Millers Robin of the future was a 14 or 15 year old acrobatic girl. She was devoted to Bruce, and was full of spunk. She shot a mean slingshot. Yep, that's the entire skillset.

I liked this Robin! I always thought the Robin character lame, and most that do is because of who Robin is standing next to. So I thought Miller taking all the possible "grit" of Robin that was hopelessly trying to be instilled in the character, and going the direction of a spunky girl enthusiast made for incredible chemistry.

So who to play this spunky girl in dark times? Some have joked and said Justin Beiber, but I respect Robin too much for that.
I think for the best person to play this character they need to disregard the girls race. In the grim futuristic gothy Gotham it would make ALOT more sense Robin is a minority. Much more important she be liked by the audience beforehand, and Robins acrobatics are sold by a pro, then touched up more with special effects.

Robin played by olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

The Joker played by Brad Pitt.

I think he'd surprise displaying a sly sinister side, and then explosive maniacalness. He wouldn't show up Heath Ledger, but Pitt would do great. People might think this choice odd, and it would definitely be a turn for Pitt to take on this type role, but early in his career he pulled off incredibly animated stuff (12 Monkeys), and has played a psychopath flawlessly before (Kalifornia). Charm?! Oh yeah. (Every other movie he made)
I had never thought of this, but Brad Pitt would be a hell of a joker!!!

Sadly we will never get to see robin williams as the joker. He would have been amazing with his dramatic acting and dozens of voices.

Brad pitt is fantastic and can be scary, I certainly wouldn't doubt him if he had his heart in it.
Perhaps Willem defoe