Mofo Hall of Fame - The Shorts Edition

Tools    

Just my quick comments on every short film of this edition:

A Trip to the Moon - A 115 years old classic that is still able to stun modern audiences with its amazingly creative visuals.

Un Chien Andalou - The short film that could be considered the grandfather of surreal filmmaking. Still refreshing to watch.

High Note - Cute, little cartoon with some creative bits. Nothing special, but it's harmless fun.

La Jetée - Experimental, touching, mindblowing and worth seeing multiple times to get every detail out of it!

Tango - A brilliant film experiment that strangely added up to one of the most satisfying short films I've ever seen!

Darkness Light Darkness - Some creative fun with claymation. I really like stuff like this.

Jidlo - Again some very creative fun from the same director, but this time it's on a larger scale and it has more meaning to it (in my opinion). Fantastic!

The Wrong Trousers - I really loved watching this. I laughed, I loved the animation and I was genuinely captivated by the whole adventure. The villain is perfect.

When It Rains - A seemingly banal tale that finds its beauty in the moody way it presents everything.

The Old Man and The Sea - The animation is absolutely beautiful, but due to its shortness, the story does lose some of the intensity from the original material. Still a great watch.

La Lettre - A story about young love, presented in a highly original way (love the dream sequence), that ultimately ends with a sad twist.

Garden of Words - The animation is of course stunning (I can't wait to watch some of Shinkai's full length films), but near the end, I do think the emotional outburst could be a little more subtle (for my tastes). That part didn't fully work for me (perhaps because of the emotionally moderate state of mind I was in while watching it). I still enjoyed it, though.

Scorpio Rising - For me, this was the "weirdest" short film of them all. I LOVED the soundtrack and the music fitted with the imagery for sure, but as a fan of films that dare to breathe once in a while, I do think the fast cutting took away some of the movie's effectiveness for me. I know the fast cutting is used here as a medium to come across more agressive, but in the opening scenes I think it would've been a little stronger if the camera showed some more slow scenes with the characters (I still appreciated all the shots of the material, though). Then the ending would've been more shocking for me.
This short still is nowhere near the very bottom of my list, though, because I just appreciated the "spirit" behind it a lot, especially in the context of its time, and of course because it's seen as one of the very first true avant-garde films (and a huge influence for filmmakers like Martin Scorsese and David Lynch). I don't want to brag, but I think I'm one of the (many) people who gets the zeitgeist of the late '60s and early '70s. This film (made in 1964) is an extreme example of the beginning of that growing counterculture and I can only respect that. Today it may seem a little unsubtle and even cliché in its messages, but it does effectively project you back to a time when it was very refreshing and exploratory to think freely from all the typical conventions. I'm glad I've watched it.

If anyone wants to discuss any of the shorts in a more substantive manner, just ask me. I'll be glad to comment. I loved this shorts edition of the MoFo Hall of Fame!

I feel like Tango might just be able to pull out the win here, there's a lot of more likely candidates but Tango has gotten a lot of praise, rightfully

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I just watched Scorpio Rising as my last film too. Thought I was going to hate it but I loved it, the soundtrack alone makes it brilliant.
I thought the video was a good visual accompaniment to the music, as opposed to the other way around

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Thanks everyone for participating in the first ever special edition Hall of Fame. Keep watching those shorts; I plan on having any one in the future. I throughly enjoyed the nominations!

Coming in January there is going to be another special edition Hall of Fame. This time it's going to be documentaries. Documentaries are eligible for the main HoF, but I feel as if it would be beneficial and interesting to give them a round all their own. There are so many I love that I'm already considering nominations. Hope a lot of you will join that one.

I'll be announcing the winner in a couple of hours.

Many shorts did well but here are your top five

5 . A Trip to the Moon 93 points
4. The Old Man and the Sea 98 points
3. The Wrong Trousers 99 points
2. Tango 106 points

With 116 points:La Jetée has won!

Congrats Skepsis!

I think we all suspected La Jetée was going to take it. It most certainly deserves it and clearly we are all pretty much in agreement. It had three 1st places and 2 second places.

Skepsis get a write-up together and maybe do some fan art and I'll induct it when I get back in a week.

It had four second place votes and a first. I placed it second myself.

My top five

1. La Lettre
2. The Oldman and the Sea
3. Tango
4. The Wrong Trousers
5. When it Rains

I had La Jetée in my 6th spot.

Let the night air cool you off
My list

1. Un Chien Andalou
2. La Jetee
3. Jidlo
4. Darkness Light Darkness
5. The Old Man and the Sea
6. Tango
7. Garden of Words
8. The Wrong Trousers
9. A Trip to the Moon
10. Scorpio Rising
11. When It Rains
12. La Lettre
13. High Note

I really would have been fine with any of the top 11 winning, and the bottom two aren't bad by any means.

My list:

1. Tango
2. A Trip to the Moon
3. Jidlo
4. La Jetée
5. The Wrong Trousers
6. Un Chien Andalou
7. La Lettre
8. Darkness Light Darkness
9. Scorpio Rising
10. The Old Man and The Sea
11. Garden of Words
12. When It Rains
13. High Note

I didn't dislike any of the nominations, but I just thought some were more special/profound/important than others. I even respect/enjoyed the short I put at number 13. Some shorts are also kind of interchangeable in my list. I had to make up a specific order fast, so my intuition came up with this specific list.

I really enjoyed this edition! I hope we'll do another shorts edition in the future.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My ordered list:

The Wrong Trousers
Scorpio Rising
La Lettre
Darkness Light Darkness
Garden of Words
A Trip to the Moon
La Jetee
Jidlo
Tango
The Old Man and the Sea
Un Chien Andalou
When It Rains
High Note

I don't think there was a bad film in here, really, great choices everyone. I'm really glad that I took part in this. I've seen hardly any short films and this was a good introduction. I'm glad some people liked my pick Scorpio Rising as well.

I hope we do another hall of fame/list/tournament of short films sometime soon.

My list

1. La Jetee*
2.Un Chien Andalou
3.Tango
4.Jidlo
5.Darkness, Light, Darkness
6.A Trip to the Moon
7.La Lettre
8.The Old Man and the Sea
9.The Wrong Trousers
10.High Note
11.When it Rains
12.Garden of Words
13. Scorpio Rising

1. The Wrong Trousers
  2. Tango
  3. Scorpio Rising
  4. When It Rains
  5. Un Chien Andalou
  6. La Jetée
  7. A Trip To The Moon
  8. The Old Man and The Sea
  9. La Lettre
  10. Garden of Words
  11. Darkness Light Darkness
  12. High Note
  13. Jidlo

Top 6 pretty interchangeable though.

Yay! You did good, MoFos.

Sh*t, having not participated in one of these before I didn't know I was required to do a write-up. I'll try but with school work I can't promise anything. If anyone else has a burning desire to write about La Jetee, be my guest.

I will probably design something for it though 'cause I've been fiddling around with PS quite a lot in my spare time lately.

Great result

1. La Jetee
2. Un Chien Andalou
3. A Trip to the Moon
4. Tango
5. Scorpio Rising
6. Darkness Light Darkness
7. The Old Man and The Sea
8. The Wrong Trousers
9. When It Rains
10. La Lettre
11. High Note
12. Jidlo
13. Garden of Words

Yay! You did good, MoFos.

Sh*t, having not participated in one of these before I didn't know I was required to do a write-up. I'll try but with school work I can't promise anything. If anyone else has a burning desire to write about La Jetee, be my guest.

I will probably design something for it though 'cause I've been fiddling around with PS quite a lot in my spare time lately.
That's fine. If someone else would like to do a write- up for it let me know. It doesn't have to be super long. I could do it, but it will be a month or two before I could get to it.

Just going to throw this out there again; if anyone would like to do a write-up of La Jetée for the HoF induction please let me know.

I'll do it if no one else will, but I can't get to it for at least another month.

Also Skepsis, are you still planning on doing some artwork for it?