Captain Spaulding's Cinematic Catalogue

→ in
Tools    

Sabotage
(David Ayer, 2014)

It's great to have Arnold Schwarzenegger back on the big screen. I enjoyed his previous starring vehicle, 2013's The Last Stand, which was fun, exciting, contained some great action sequences and several humorous one-liners. Unfortunately, Sabotage is lacking in all of those things. It's too dour, too self-serious and too mean-spirited to have fun with its action. Schwarzenegger's character is still reeling from the brutal murder of his family, so he lacks his usual commanding presence and inherent likability. It's also unclear for the majority of the film whether or not his character is a hero or a traitor. If this was a stronger film with better direction and a better script, I'd probably praise the ambiguity, but such an approach instead removes any rooting interest in the characters, making the whole affair rather dull and lifeless. Aesthetically, the film reminds me of a direct-to-video feature with poor production values and too-bright lighting. Most of the dialogue is your typical sex-obsessed, my-d!ck-is-bigger-than-your-d!ck, wannabe-macho diatribe heard in locker rooms and battalions. To shoot or get shot is the only reason side characters exist in this film, which means Terrence Williams, Sam Worthington and other familiar faces go to waste in this below average, poorly written, forgettable action-thriller.

The Woman in Black
(James Watkins, 2012)

Surprisingly old-fashioned and heavy on Gothic atmosphere, The Woman in Black is most successful when relying on traditional haunted-house archetypes and imagery. The story is similar to every ghost story ever made, but at least the film spends little time on exposition and mostly just follows Radcliffe around the creepy mansion while things go bump in the night. Every other scene features Radcliffe walking down a long dark hallway in trepidation. That gets old after awhile, but a few scenes provide an inkling of suspense and chills. It's hard for me take Radcliffe seriously as an adult actor. Surely he learned some tricks at Hogwarts to vanish ghosts. Or at the very least he could have used his wand to provide a bit of light so he doesn't have to explore in the dark. The ending is lame, and the movie becomes less creepy once it starts relying on CGI instead of imagination to provide the frights. The Woman in Black is below average as a horror film, but the short run-time and the thick atmosphere make it more effective than some ghost stories I've seen in recent years.

Philomena
(Stephen Frears, 2013)

Considering the true story at the heart of Philomena, this should have been a powerful, infuriating, emotionally engaging film, but the only emotion it elicited in me was boredom and indifference. However, that's my general reaction to all human interest stories, whether it's in the form of a two-minute segment on the news or, in this case, a ninety-minute motion picture, so my tepid reaction might speak more to my misanthropy than the film's shortcomings. Or maybe not. Personally, I blame my disconnect with Philomena on its approach to the subject matter. If the film's perspective had focused less on Steve Coogan's smug journalist and more on Judi Dench, then I think I would have had a stronger emotional connection to the story. Dench is excellent in the film. Her performance is deceptively complex, balancing tenderness and warmth with a great inner strength required for her character to carry the weight of such enormous sorrow. The young actress who plays Philomena in the flashbacks is nowhere near as talented, but the tragic events that unfold give those scenes an emotional resonance. Unfortunately, Coogan's reluctant decision to assist in the search for Philomena's forcefully adopted son, as well as his ensuing moral dilemma over whether to publish her story or not, is given more screen time and treated with more importance than Philomena's injustice. Perhaps that's not surprising since the script is adapted from a book by Coogan's real-life counterpart, but it reeks of self-centeredness and it impedes the film from capitalizing on Dench's strong performance or the powerful true story.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
(Adam McKay, 2013)

I feel like the only person in the world who hated the first Anchorman. I found it absolutely dreadful, yet everyone and their mother said it was hilarious and constantly quoted it. Now comes the sequel, which is even more idiotic and even more of a torture to sit through. The only time I laughed was when Burgandy and his crew smoked crack on live television. I also admired the satiric aspects of the film since it accurately spoofs the lack of integrity and the ratings-obsessed tactics of modern news stations. The rest of the film, however, is atrocious. Few things are worse than an unfunny comedy, and I just don't find these characters and their ad-libbed attempts at humor to be funny. There is little structure to the film. Everything feels reckless and made up as it goes along. The one-liners try too hard to be ridiculous and quotable. A scene near the end of the film features about twenty-five cameos from well-known superstars. It's humorous at first, but in the spirit of the film, the scene goes on and on and on until it quickly becomes tiresome. I generally like Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd, but not in these particular roles.

You're Next
(Adam Winguard, 2013)

When I first saw a trailer for You're Next, I thought it looked like one of the most unoriginal films I'd ever seen. Then it received surprisingly strong reviews and the endorsement of my friends. Now that I've seen it, I should have trusted my initial instinct. You're Next isn't the self-aware horror comedy many have labeled it. Sure, the film tries to be different, teetering toward a Scream-version of the home-invasion sub-genre, but instead it lands more on the side of The Strangers and a gazillion other similar films. If this is what passes for smart nowadays, then the genre has fallen farther than I thought. At least when a horror film features the usual cast of clichés--- the virgin, the nerd, the stoner, etc.--- you recognize those characters, regardless of their lack of depth. The problem with You're Next is that everyone looks and acts alike, so it's as if the entire cast blends into one faceless blob of bland personalities. Since the relationships between most of the characters isn't evident, the big twist in the second half had no impact. Some viewers have mentioned the humor in the film, which I failed to notice except in one or two scenes, and even then the movie fails to fully commit to the joke, resulting in an awkward moment of "Should I laugh or should I not?" And with the exception of a blender to the skull, even the kills lack creativity. Overall, You're Next is a rudimentary, by-the-the-numbers home-invasion movie lacking in tension, scares or suspense, yet somehow it has fooled many viewers into thinking it's more than the sum of its (severed) parts.

I've not seen Anchorman because it looks like nothing I'd like. Also, Will Ferrell isn't funny. And I hate Paul Rudd. So, yeah, not seen the sequel, either.

I watched Anchorman 2 recently, my brother saw it in the cinema and didn't particularly like it, but he enjoyed it when he watched it again. I thought it was good too. I don't think the first one is a comedy great like a lot of people do, but it's decent enough, I think I might actually prefer the second one, it made me laugh a lot more than I expected.

I don't get the love for You're Next either; it was really disappointing. It was just pretty lame. The Woman in Black was blah too. I'm still planning on watching Sabotage and Anchorman 2, because I can't help myself.

I've not seen Anchorman because it looks like nothing I'd like. Also, Will Ferrell isn't funny. And I hate Paul Rudd. So, yeah, not seen the sequel, either.
You dislike pretty much all comedic actors, though, don't you? Or at least all the American ones.

You're Next and The Woman In Black are very good flick imo but at least you explain yourself so it's nice

You dislike pretty much all comedic actors, though, don't you? Or at least all the American ones.
I don't find them funny, so I guess I do as 'funny people' you don't find funny are among the most annoying people. Film doesn't really work too well for me as a vehicle to deliver comedy. I like wordy comedy and I like a high joke rate. You can't really expect that over 90 minutes, unless it's Groucho in a Marx Brothers film (and even then I have to suffer 'the boring bits' also known as Harpo and any and all musical interludes) so unless I find characters whose company I like to be in (very rare these days) then it's a non-starter really. Especially with what Hollywood has put out for the last 15 years or so, which've been stupid, gross-out/slapstick comedies as they do better worldwide because of the lack of a language barrier.

Paul Rudd really annoys me, though, because he spoils two things I really love. The film Clueless (this was the first time I'd seen him in anything and he annoyed me from the off) and Friends. The last couple of seasons of Friends aren't the strongest, but he's easily the worst thing about them. And he ruined Phoebe. I love Phoebe.

Philomena
(Stephen Frears, 2013)

Considering the true story at the heart of Philomena, this should have been a powerful, infuriating, emotionally engaging film, but the only emotion it elicited in me was boredom and indifference. However, that's my general reaction to all human interest stories, whether it's in the form of a two-minute segment on the news or, in this case, a ninety-minute motion picture, so my tepid reaction might speak more to my misanthropy than the film's shortcomings. Or maybe not. Personally, I blame my disconnect with Philomena on its approach to the subject matter. If the film's perspective had focused less on Steve Coogan's smug journalist and more on Judi Dench, then I think I would have had a stronger emotional connection to the story. Dench is excellent in the film. Her performance is deceptively complex, balancing tenderness and warmth with a great inner strength required for her character to carry the weight of such enormous sorrow. The young actress who plays Philomena in the flashbacks is nowhere near as talented, but the tragic events that unfold give those scenes an emotional resonance. Unfortunately, Coogan's reluctant decision to assist in the search for Philomena's forcefully adopted son, as well as his ensuing moral dilemma over whether to publish her story or not, is given more screen time and treated with more importance than Philomena's injustice. Perhaps that's not surprising since the script is adapted from a book by Coogan's real-life counterpart, but it reeks of self-centeredness and it impedes the film from capitalizing on Dench's strong performance or the powerful true story.
I wouldn't have been as hard on this film as you Capn. I thought Steve Coogan gave a good balance to the film. His self centredness was a foil to Philomena's gentle doggedness. I liked that he was like that cos it was a kind of London metropolitan blasé know all meeting head on with a Irish lady with more character than he knew what to do with. I think the film portrayed that she more than held her own against him. I would give it 7/10

The worst thing about the last few seasons of Friends imo was how much they dumbed down Joey. Originally he was very naive and quite dopey, but by the end they had turned him into some brain damaged idiot. I mean that Joey Speaks French episode .

Agreed on Paul Rudd though they basically just dropped him in from nowhere, without any personality to speak of and thought it would work . Also sorry for turning your thread into a Friends discussion captain.

The only one i've watched out of your last set was The Women In Black and i didn't really like it either.

The worst thing about the last few seasons of Friends imo was how much they dumbed down Joey. Originally he was very naive and quite dopey, but by the end they had turned him into some brain damaged idiot. I mean that Joey Speaks French episode .
I love that episode.

Frances Ha
(Noah Baumbach, 2013)
(Starring: Greta Gerwig; Mickey Sumner; Adam Driver)

Some people don't want to come of age. Case in point: Frances Halladay, a twenty-seven-year-old aspiring dancer who lacks in talent, maturity, financial responsibility and social awareness, yet who tries to make up for it with childish enthusiasm and teenage spontaneity. Many would label her a case of arrested development, but I disagree. I view Frances, instead, as a practitioner of a well-meaning, but misguided, philosophy: a desire to live life in the moment with the same carefree attitude of a child. No worries. No responsibilities. (In other words, what Timon and Pumbaa referred to as "Hakuna Matata".) She treats her nights as a sleepover, sneaking cigarettes and booze as if her parents might come storming in the door at any second; she flies to Paris on a whim and a credit card with no plans of what to do when she gets there or how to pay off the ensuing debt; she regularly abandons what she needs to do for what she wants to do, whether that means forgoing a trip to the laundromat to eat breakfast with friends or sharing a lazy day with roommates instead of practicing her dance routines. But a person can only shrug off life's responsibilities for so long. Adulthood always catches up. Reality always crashes down. And I think Frances Ha, with all its hipster French New Wave flourishing, would have been a much better film if it had fallen less in love with the airiness of its main character and adopted a sterner eye.

At the beginning of the film, Frances breaks up with her boyfriend after rejecting a proposal to move in with him. Judging by her non-reaction to the sudden denouement of her relationship, clearly the relationship didn't mean much to her. Instead, Frances values her relationship with Sophie, her best friend and roommate, over more intimate connections with the opposite sex. "We're like lesbians who don't have sex," says Frances of her relationship with Sophie, and early scenes of the two goofing off in their apartment and holding hands as they run through the streets of New York portray their youthful connection. In many ways, Sophie mirrors Frances's childlike enthusiasm and naivety, but unlike Frances, Sophie shows progression. When Sophie moves in with her boyfriend, Frances is left scrambling, unable to adapt to the sudden change. Later in the film, when Frances learns of Sophie's engagement, she acts like a petulant child. It's natural for her to miss her friend and feel a sense of jealousy toward Sophie's fiancée, but Frances's immaturity gets the best of her, and her actions mirror that of a spoiled brat in the midst of a temper-tantrum. It's one of the only scenes in the film to capture Frances with a critical eye; as a result, it's one of the most effective.

Frances exhibits many admirable characteristics: her energy, her boundless optimism, her sunny disposition. But she's also too satisfied with discontent, too careless of the future, too unaware of how she is perceived by those around her. Instead of addressing the flaws in her character or illustrating the potential pitfalls of her immaturity, Noah Baumbach, the director, plays the part of an irresponsible parent. "Isn't she cute?" his direction seems to imply, while everyone else is like, "How 'bout disciplining your child?" The people with whom Frances interacts seem to find her eccentric nature either amusing or odd. When she insists on "play fighting" with one of her colleagues, the colleague seems stricken, yet Frances remains aloof. When Frances racks up debt during an ill-informed trip to Paris, the matter is briefly mentioned later on, but like everything else in the film, the director would rather gloss over his muse's faults and mistakes. I understand that Frances is the life of the film and that the tone is reflective of her own inner spirit, but that misguided approach results in a film that feels pointless and self-indulgent. Instead of stepping back and documenting Frances with an unbiased eye, the film pats her on the head and calls her adorable.

I've seen people on this forum express the erroneous opinion that no modern motion-picture should be filmed in black-and-white. Where they see antiquity, I see beauty. However, the choice to transfer Frances Ha from color (the way it was initially shot) to black-and-white adds nothing to this particular film. I'm sure Baumbach wanted to invoke Truffaut and Godard and give Frances Ha a classic French New Wave aesthetic, but the self-conscious usage of black-and-white makes Frances Ha feel like a pretentious student film instead. As for the acting, I have nothing but praise for Greta Gerwig's performance, which is the highlight of the film. She co-wrote the script, so she understands Frances and what makes her tick. Her performance is so effortless, so natural, that she doesn't even appear to be acting. I also admire the nuanced way the film deals with Frances's lack of funds. In most films, regardless of a character's occupation, money is never an issue, but twenty-somethings are notorious for being broke, so I enjoyed small details like Frances not being able to afford a trip to the cinema or hesitating before paying a usage fee at the ATM.

Trapped somewhere in the hipster pretension and self-infatuation were the ingredients of a very good film, but the recipe is all wrong. Instead of an insightful, memorable character study, Frances Ha is forgettable and annoying, much like its titular character.

When creating this thread, my intention was to write about every film that I watched (excluding re-watches of old favorites). I thought that would help to keep this thread active instead of simply using it to post long reviews.

But I'm lazy and I'm a procrastinator and I'm horrible at managing my free time, so I consistently find myself falling behind with my write-ups, which is beginning to have a negative impact on my viewing. There are evenings when I want to watch a film, but I realize that there are multiple films I've seen since last updating this thread, so instead I don't watch anything at all. Or I'll watch a film that I think will suck just so I won't feel the need to write much about it.

From now on I've decided to use this thread solely for full-length reviews. I've only been averaging 2-3 a month, when I would rather average 2-3 a week. Foregoing the smaller write-ups should give me the opportunity and time to do so. I'll use either the Movie Tab or the Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread to keep check of the other films I watch.

Of course, if this thread starts to turn into another review thread like Gideon58's, with no rep and no feedback, I'll go back to my previous approach. Or I'll start posting provocative pictures of myself in return for some attention. (Captain Spaulding in a g-string? )

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I consistently find myself falling behind with my write-ups, which is beginning to have a negative impact on my viewing. There are evenings when I want to watch a film, but I realize that there are multiple films I've seen since last updating this thread, so instead I don't watch anything at all. Or I'll watch a film that I think will suck just so I won't feel the need to write much about it.
Completely get where you're coming from on this. I've got a massive watch list but instead of just zipping through them I tend to space them out to allow myself time to review them if I feel the need.

The Shootist

(Don Siegel, 1976)
(Starring: John Wayne; Lauren Bacall; Ron Howard; James Stewart)

In a sense, the same cancer that is diagnosed in John Wayne's character in The Shootist, as well as the cancer that, three years after filming for The Shootist wrapped, would claim the life of The Duke himself, had also afflicted the entire genre. The Traditional American Western was dying. After all, a decade earlier, Peckinpah had infused the Western with a darker, more violent and nihilistic sensibility. And the Italians--- Sergio Leone, in particular--- had started serving the Western with a side of spaghetti. John Wayne's brand of Westerns, however, with their idealism and old-fashioned values, had long since grown stale. The mold, the cancer, was a lack of interest from the movie-going public. This makes The Shootist all the more poignant. Not only is it John Wayne's last film, it's essentially the last film of an entire era.

Everything about The Shootist feels like a funeral, as if Wayne was participating in his own procession. When he struggles for breath in certain scenes, it doesn't feel like acting (and it probably wasn't, considering that his entire left lung had already been removed). When he discusses his inevitable death and how he wants to be remembered, it doesn't feel like a line of dialogue, but a man in the twilight of his life speaking directly to his fans. Considering how well the character and the movie mirrors Wayne's real life, you'd think that The Shootist was written specifically for him, so it's surprising to learn that he almost wasn't cast in the role. What a crime that would have been. Without The Duke, this old-fashioned Western would've been average at best and already forgotten.

It's fitting that James Stewart, Wayne's close friend and co-star of the brilliant The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, is also in this movie, and he adds a certain somber respect to the scenes in which he appears. An aging Lauren Bacall, as well as a young Ron Howard (with hair!), are also great. The directing from Don Siegel is nothing special, but it gets the job done, and perhaps it's appropriate, given the material and the actors involved, that his direction is so straight forward. The main draw, of course, is Wayne himself. I think it's one of the best performances of his career. (Not that I've seen enough to make that claim; the dude appeared in over 140 films!)

From the opening montage to the climactic showdown to the poignant final scenes, The Shootist is a proper, dignified, elegiac farewell to an American icon. Long live the legendary Duke and his extraordinary legacy!

Nice to see some love for The Shootist...have never been into the Duke as a rule, but this film was really something special. I would have given him the Oscar for this film over True Grit.

Straight Time
(Ulu Grosbard, 1978)
(Starring: Dustin Hoffman; Gary Busey; Harry Dean Stanton; Theresa Russell)

I've always had a problem with authority. If someone tells me to do something, I immediately want to do the opposite. My attitude has led to a few unpleasant encounters with authority figures in the past, whether it was teachers and principals in high school, or police officers and security guards nowadays. I find that people in such positions often abuse their power; they begin to think that they are better than everyone else, when often they're just clowns in a uniform. The parole officer in Straight Time fits that bill to a tee. He's a smarmy, sleazy a**hole who makes life unnecessarily hard for Hoffman's character, Max Dembo. When Dembo reaches a breaking point and attacks and humiliates the parole officer, I felt a great sense of glee. 'This is a movie that gets it,' I thought; 'no wonder we have so many repeat criminals when this is how you treat them.'

That key moment in the plot marks a transition both for Dembo and the tone and direction of the movie. In the first half, we watch Dembo, fresh out of prison, try to go straight. Despite being harassed and unfairly treated by the parole officer, Dembo tries to re-join society by finding employment and a place to live. He even establishes a relationship with an attractive young woman at the employment agency. Although he spends time with friends who are former criminals and drug-users, he resists their temptations. Dembo's desire to live a normal life and leave crime behind seems earnest, so we, the audience, sympathize with him and root for his success.

Then everything changes. After he lashes out against the parole officer, his "straight time" is over and he reverts to his old criminal ways. At first, it seems like the system has left him with no other choice. I viewed Hoffman's character as a victim. But the movie has already revealed that he's been a lifelong criminal, in and out of jail since a young age. Crime is in his blood, and that becomes increasingly evident as he commits more and more crimes less out of necessity, but because of an internal lust that requires fulfillment. The monster behind his eyes is a demon no different than that of an alcoholic or a drug addict. As it rears its ugly head, the meek and humbled Max Dembo of the first half seems like a stranger, a put-on, and I felt a bit foolish for relating to him so strongly.

The quiet, understated, engrossing character study of the first half transforms into a slightly more conventional, somewhat predictable crime film in the second half. But even if the later scenes of heist-planning and bank-robbing look familiar, there's an extraordinary depth to the characters and their actions, thanks to Hoffman's phenomenal performance and the strength of the script in the first half, that isn't seen in most movies of this type, making Hoffman's character all the more real and frightening and heartbreaking.

I agree with every single thing you said about Straight Time...quietly brilliant film which features one of Hoffman's best performances and I also agree with your take on M Emmett Walsh as his parole officer...he was an a**hole.

Husbands
(John Cassavetes, 1970)

It always annoys me when people criticize a film for not having likable or relatable characters. All that should matter is if the characters are interesting. Unfortunately, like every other Cassavetes film I've seen so far, the characters in Husbands are neither interesting, likable or relatable. Instead they stumble and bumble along for an excruciatingly long two-and-a-half hours, spouting pointless, inane, obviously ad-libbed dialogue while in no way resembling actual human beings. Ten minutes of this movie feels like an eternity, as scenes draaaaaag and drrrraaaaaaaggg and drrrraaaaaaaaggggg some more. Is Cassavetes making a statement on friendship or grief or mid-life crisis? Who knows? Who cares? You know as little about these characters by the end as you did in the beginning. All that changes is your overwhelming desire to punch each of them in the face. Cassavetes remains my least favorite "important" director. Watching Husbands is as enjoyable as getting a colonoscopy.

Tango & Cash
(Andrei Konchalovsky, 1989)

In 1989, it was probably a big deal to see Rambo and Snake Plissken share the screen. I've never been a big Kurt Russell fan, so the pairing did nothing for me, but the chemistry between the two actors and their constant quips back and forth are the best part of the movie. Stallone seems like an odd choice for his character: a spectacled, bookish, neatly-dressed cop, but I assume it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, just like seeing Kurt Russell dress in drag later in the movie. The plot is formulaic and predictable with an overblown finale featuring eighteen explosions and a bad guy-in-the-mirror-OMG-which-one-do-we-shoot? ending, but the movie is marginally entertaining, despite the overwhelming amount of 80's cheese.

Cry-Baby
(John Waters, 1990)

Ever since watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show a few weeks ago and loving it, I've felt a desire to check out more atypical musicals. Prior to Cry-Baby, the only other John Waters film I'd seen was Pecker, which I hated, but Johnny Depp is my favorite actor, so that was reason enough for me to give this movie a chance. Now I'm crying because I wasted an hour-and-a-half of my life. The musical numbers are nothing special or catchy, but at least they're better than the dreck that surrounds them. Waters tries to hide his lack of talent as a director by piling ugly character on top of ugly character and then injecting his movies with an anarchistic sense of perversity. Cry-Baby aims to spoof Grease and old prison musicals. Instead it's just a spoof of filmmaking.
Love Tango & Cash and Cry-Baby...they are both guilty pleasures of mine. I've never seen Husbands, one of the few Cassavetes films I have never seen, but it is on my watchlist.

The Way We Were
(Sydney Pollack, 1973)

While watching The Way We Were, I experienced the same arc in emotions as the characters on screen. It started with the lovely title track and the smooth flashback to the college days of Streisand and Redford. I enjoyed watching their initial attraction and their obvious chemistry, the way the camera captures Streisand's realization that Redford isn't just a pretty boy jock when his short story is read aloud in class, the way she longingly gazes over her friend's shoulder (a freakishly young James Woods) while wishing that she was dancing with Redford instead, the way Redford seems at first surprised by his attraction to the unconventionally attractive Streisand, their flirtatious interactions, and so on. When they meet again years later and finally act on their feelings, I shared their elation. The first time Redford and Streisand share a bed is funny and touching. Their relationship felt real. Then their drastic differences in personality and beliefs begin to result in lots of bickering and arguments. As their passion faded, so did mine. By the time the last act arrived, I no longer enjoyed spending time with either character. What started out as a well-made romance with an intelligent script and realistic characters turns into a bit of a mess by the end, with a last act that felt imported from a different movie (or written by a different screenwriter). The bittersweet ending, although not ideal, seems progressive for its time. Redford's decision is bound to rub even modern audiences the wrong way, so I can only imagine how people responded to it 40 years ago. The movie ends with the characters reflecting on "the way we were," while I reflected on the way it was, wishing that the movie had remained as strong as it had been in the first half.
Interesting comments regarding The Way We Were...I'm wondering if your disenchantment with the characters later in the film didn't have anything to do with the fact that it was clear from the beginning of the movie that the relationship between these two was doomed?