On the Bigscreen in Oz next week...Cypher, Intactico

→ in
Tools    

Very excited here in Australia because 4 movies i have been at least 12 months for finally arrive next thurs 14/8.

This is what my bigscreen marathon is going to be-

CYPHER- which looks incredible and is from the director of THE CUBE which is an all time fave. Potential to be a top notch mind screw.

BUFFALLO SOLDIERS- after the US boo hoo hooing about post September 11 this one got bumped because it shows US soldiers as they really are- should be an awesome black comedy.

NARC- finally a decent cop film, been dying to see this for ages.

INTACTICO- (This one is at the Brisbane Film Festival) yet another high quality supernatural spanish thriller the directors debut film has been described as similar to the work of Christpher Nolan, M Night Shymlan and David Fincher.

So thats what Im doing next Thursday- has anyone seen CYPHER or INTACTICO, if so is are they as good as they look???

Originally Posted by Deckard
Very excited here in Australia because 4 movies i have been at least 12 months for finally arrive next thurs 14/8.

This is what my bigscreen marathon is going to be-

CYPHER- which looks incredible and is from the director of THE CUBE which is an all time fave. Potential to be a top notch mind screw.

BUFFALLO SOLDIERS- after the US boo hoo hooing about post September 11 this one got bumped because it shows US soldiers as they really are- should be an awesome black comedy.

NARC- finally a decent cop film, been dying to see this for ages.

INTACTICO- (This one is at the Brisbane Film Festival) yet another high quality supernatural spanish thriller the directors debut film has been described as similar to the work of Christpher Nolan, M Night Shymlan and David Fincher.

So thats what Im doing next Thursday- has anyone seen CYPHER or INTACTICO, if so is are they as good as they look???
Intactico I have not seen but,Cypher I have. Here in the U.S. It does not come out theatrically in 2004, but I am i lucky one. It is done well, really intense and intriguing.

If you don't know the plot..............A genius (Jeremy Northam faking an American accent) wipes his own memory and takes on a new identity in order to penetrate a high security database known only as 'the vault'. As a new man clean of his memory he is able to get a job in a secret recruitment agency which brainwashes its workers into new identities so that they will remain loyal. The company sends its drugged and amnesiac workers into Sunways, an information processor, as spies in order to steal information. Since he cannot remember his real identity and plan he is helped by his girlfriend (Lucy Lui) who prevents the second brainwashing from taking place, enabling him to become a double agent for Sunways instead. Eventually he gets into the vault and obtains the information he wants on a single disc, which he destroys -his girlfriends information file.

It is worth going to see and as you can see in the trailer, it's awesome!

Originally Posted by jrs
Intactico I have not seen but,Cypher I have. Here in the U.S. It does not come out theatrically in 2004, but I am i lucky one. It is done well, really intense and intriguing.

If you don't know the plot..............A genius (Jeremy Northam faking an American accent) wipes his own memory and takes on a new identity in order to penetrate a high security database known only as 'the vault'. As a new man clean of his memory he is able to get a job in a secret recruitment agency which brainwashes its workers into new identities so that they will remain loyal. The company sends its drugged and amnesiac workers into Sunways, an information processor, as spies in order to steal information. Since he cannot remember his real identity and plan he is helped by his girlfriend (Lucy Lui) who prevents the second brainwashing from taking place, enabling him to become a double agent for Sunways instead. Eventually he gets into the vault and obtains the information he wants on a single disc, which he destroys -his girlfriends information file.

It is worth going to see and as you can see in the trailer, it's awesome!

Oh, Im excited, I loved THE CUBE. 6 days to go...............

Well my marathon didnt go as planned, I missed INTACTICO sadly. NARC & BUFFALO SOLDIERS were at a differet cinema to CYPHER so I ended up seeing CONFESSIONS OF DANGEROUS MIND as my second feature. Am going to see NARC & BUFFALLO SOLDIERS 2morrow night.

In the meantime here is my review of CYPHER -

CYPHER (8/10) is the second film form the Director of THE CUBE, which really gives you a clue what your in for. A high concept thriller that constantly stimulates the mind and the senses.

The script is full of great dialogue, original concepts and nice twists. The cinematography brings a lot to the film, placing the viewer on edge with inspired camera set ups and futuristic set designs that are off set by organic exteriors. Savvy cinema lovers will notice visual salutes to Kubrick, Proyas and Cronenburg. The music too is top notch, complimenting the onscreen mood and makes the film and all encompassing experience.

Jeremy Northam delivers a fine performance as the films protagnist Morgan Sullivan. He plays a corprate spy in the digital age where nothing is as it seems. The less said about the plot the better, just know its not quite as intricate as THE CUBE and you may well see where it's going before the end but that doesnt really effect the overall entertainment value one bit. Lucy Liu also features in this one and unfortuanetly she is the films weakest link. She is however easy to ignore for the most part thanks to the corker script & ideas being raised.

So all you fans of the mind screw thriller genre should check this one out, which iMO is one of the best.

Im off to see NARC & BUFFALLO SOLDIERS over the weekend and if they are half as entertaining its gonna be a good weekend........