Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   newby questions for yoda (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48290)

Dani8 02-21-17 05:55 PM

newby questions for yoda

Thought I may as well start a thread rather than clog up shoutbox or your inbox. No rush. I know you're busy.

1. If I do a search for a particular topic and want to contribute in a civil manner, but then notice it's closed, is it a no no to restart the same topic. My friend who is a forum owner doesn't like it incase the same conflict arises so I understand if you say not permitted. I'll just have to create a way to start it that doesn't seem to invite conflict.

2. I don't notice the ads (I don't notice them on tv either) very much but saw one this morning that's Australian. Just out of curiosity, are members 'targeted' (I don't mean that in a negative way) according to where their isp is located? I'm just curious.

I had a third question but I forget.

Yoda 02-21-17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1652923)
1. If I do a search for a particular topic and want to contribute in a civil manner, but then notice it's closed, is it a no no to restart the same topic. My friend who is a forum owner doesn't like it incase the same conflict arises so I understand if you say not permitted. I'll just have to create a way to start it that doesn't seem to invite conflict.
I hate to say "it depends" but...it depends. A topic being closed definitely doesn't mean it's verboten: it's just standing policy, as of the last couple of years, to close any controversial thread if it hasn't received any replies in a few months (otherwise people keep coming back and resurrecting them, usually without reading what's come before, and thus repeating the same things people have already argued about).

2. I don't notice the ads (I don't notice them on tv either) very much but saw one this morning that's Australian. Just out of curiosity, are members 'targeted' (I don't mean that in a negative way) according to where their isp is located? I'm just curious.
Not by me, but I'm sure the two ad networks we use (Sovrn and AdSense, if anyone cares) do at least some general area-based algorithm stuff. Probably just based on the data that's automatically available to any site you visit, though.

I had a third question but I forget.
The answer was probably no.

Dani8 02-21-17 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1652930)

The answer was probably no.
LOL. I'm sure it was pretty harmless. Just morning musings.

I think it was

3. Is allowing advertising on forums lucrative or just piddly beer money? I have no problem with owners getting a payback from that.

As for not targeted by you - no I didn't think that; but you answered my query.

Also re closed topics, it was the Islam one. Just like in US we have confict and fear here about Islam as well. I just wanted to share some nice experiences and correct some misconceptions. dont want to stir up stuff, though. I might just have a general travel experience thread and talk about people rather than bringing religion in to the equation.

The Rodent 02-21-17 06:03 PM

Re: newby questions for yoda

I can answer the 2nd question... it's not always, but sometimes.

In the past I've been looking at some movie memorabilia sites, one of them I remember clearly was a site that sells Lightsabres and on MoFo about 10 minutes later I was getting ads for other Lightsabre websites.
They must use some sort of cookie reader.

Yoda 02-21-17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1652935)
3. Is allowing advertising on forums lucrative or just piddly beer money? I have no problem with owners getting a payback from that.
It's never been that lucrative. Forums get fewer clicks than content on other types of pages, and I think that's particularly true of movie-related ads (the topic matters a great deal). That said, as you can see, I haven't exactly been trying to wring money out of this place with just that lone, modest ad going. Mostly just trying to build users and traffic.

Also re closed topics, it was the Islam one. Just like in US we have confict and fear here about Islam as well. I just wanted to share some nice experiences and correct some misconceptions. dont want to stir up stuff, though. I might just have a general travel experience thread and talk about people rather than bringing religion in to the equation.
Your call. I think that's one of those topics that will lead to a lot of strong disagreement, though not necessarily fights, per se. It probably won't get heated enough that we have to close it or anything, simply because most threads don't, but the odds are fairly high against it being perfectly benign, either. But it really is up to you.

Dani8 02-21-17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1652936)
They must use some sort of cookie reader.
yeah that's what I was thinking. I dont get the ads on my phone, though. Not sure why. Oh that reminds me of another question...

The Rodent 02-21-17 06:12 PM

Aha!
I'm getting Hungry House adverts at the moment...

I used Hungry House earlier today to order a pizza.

Dani8 02-21-17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1652943)
It's never been that lucrative. Forums get fewer clicks than content on other types of pages, and I think that's particularly true of movie-related ads (the topic matters a great deal). That said, as you can see, I haven't exactly been trying to wring money out of this place with just that lone, modest ad going. Mostly just trying to build users and traffic.
So you only get a hand out if we click on them? OK I'm happy to do that. You can share a pizza with me if ever i get over your way.

Your call. I think that's one of those topics that will lead to a lot of strong disagreement, though not necessarily fights, per se. It probably won't get heated enough that we have to close it or anything, simply because most threads don't, but the odds are fairly high against it being perfectly benign, either. But it really is up to you.
yeah not interested in religious debates, just the multicultural aspect so I think I can do it that way.

Damn it, I forgot my next question again.

Dani8 02-21-17 06:16 PM

I don't know how I did that to my own post.

Yoda 02-21-17 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1652947)
yeah that's what I was thinking. I dont get the ads on my phone, though. Not sure why. Oh that reminds me of another question...
I just don't put any on there. That might change, but again, not too concerned with making much off the site right now. And mobile ads have to be done properly, because things are slow enough on mobile as it is (which is why the mobile site is so stripped down and straightforward).

Yoda 02-21-17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8
So you only get a hand out if we click on them? OK I'm happy to do that. You can share a pizza with me if ever i get over your way.
Correct. And thanks in advance for any clicking you guys choose to do. :)

Dani8 02-21-17 06:18 PM

4. you prompted me.

I've already been through half my monthly allowance on my phone and I havent been using it much for the net. Is that from the testing I was doing the other day possibly? Do I chew up more if I don't disable avatars gifs etc? I;m not bothered. Once again, just curious. As you know I don't use it much anyway.

Dani8 02-21-17 06:28 PM

OK have to slave away for Mr Dani's brunch. back soooon with a fun travel thread.

Anyone else, feel free to stick newby questions in here if you want to need to love to.

Dani8 02-21-17 09:35 PM

LOL. I clicked on one of your ads on here that was aussie, Yods. Had never heard of that company before. Now getting it on facebook. I won't click on it on fb. happy to give you a hit but Zuckerberg has enough money.

Yoda 02-21-17 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1652958)
4. you prompted me.

I've already been through half my monthly allowance on my phone and I havent been using it much for the net. Is that from the testing I was doing the other day possibly? Do I chew up more if I don't disable avatars gifs etc? I;m not bothered. Once again, just curious. As you know I don't use it much anyway.
Hard to say without specifics, but as far as sites go ours is pretty low in file size. But some of the threads have huge images, so it really depends.

Dani8 02-22-17 12:24 PM

Thanks for all of that yesterday. You and Rattus are in the clear today me thinks. One giant mug of tea already and I don't feel the question faery knocking at the door of my skull.

cat_sidhe 02-27-17 05:21 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is a question for Yoda :lol: How do I mute a user?

The Rodent 02-27-17 05:24 AM

Go to your User CP... left side you'll see a list of options, one called Edit Ignore List.
In there you can type the name of a MoFo and block them. You need to be precise with the name, capitals and so on, and the site should bring up a pop-up box while you're typing with the right name in it.

cat_sidhe 02-27-17 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1657386)
Go to your User CP... left side you'll see a list of options, one called Edit Ignore List.
In there you can type the name of a MoFo and block them. You need to be precise with the name, capitals and so on, and the site should bring up a pop-up box while you're typing with the right name in it.

THANK YOU! :D

Edit: WHOAH you got a good forum condom here.

Yoda 02-27-17 10:46 AM

I recently beefed the Ignore User stuff up a bit, but I have enough custom things here that it's very plausible I missed something, so please let me know if you notice anything getting through. Be a nice bit of testing after the recent changes.

matt72582 02-27-17 12:24 PM

I just wanted to share some nice experiences and correct some misconceptions. I might just have a general travel experience thread.
What country are you in? I forgot (so many new users) but I think the more opinions, the better. I like the idea of a "General Travel Experience".. I've found that some people look for stereotypes to validate what they already believe in, or what someone else believes in.

Then again, I'm sure people can come up with generalizations based on eye color or something else that has little meaning.... I think someone's "Top 10" movies says a lot more about someone than the spot their ancestors had sex.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:28 PM

I'm in Aus, Matt, but I've travelled a bit and I know some other people on here have as well. Just waiting for all the oscargate hoo haa and excitement to drift off into cyberspace before I get a thread going.

TONGO 02-27-17 02:39 PM

This threads gonna stick. So long overdue :lol:

Dani8 02-27-17 02:42 PM

I thought it was a good idea if I dont say so myself because I certainly have a lot of stupid and often irrelevant questions.

Yoda 02-27-17 02:52 PM

It was a fine idea, and I'm happy to reply to each of them. :up:

Dani8 02-27-17 02:54 PM

I should have put my makeup question and smoking in here as an irrelevant question but what the hey, that thread was always going to be trouble so thought I would gently derail :beatty: That's how I roll.

Question - how do you mke those smilies. That one is still cracking me up.

Yoda 02-27-17 02:57 PM

Nah, I think you have the right idea: this thread, given the forum its in, makes sense more for technical questions, or queries about how things generally work. That's most useful to others, too, I'm sure.

Dani8 02-27-17 03:01 PM

I just realised the other day when the question faery ws knocking on my brain I was going to take over the shoutbox so PING, this thread was born. Hallelujah and pass the awesome sauce.

Dani8 02-27-17 03:32 PM

Ha. The question faery heard me mention her name.

Do you guys make an Oscar post mortem podcast?

Yoda 02-27-17 04:04 PM

Nah. Not a bad idea by any means, but scheduling for three people can be tough, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist about most of the editing, so each one can be pretty draining. It's worth considering down the line if I ever streamline the process a bit more, though.

Dani8 02-27-17 04:13 PM

Wow I didnt realise you put that much work into it. I thought that was all a smooth run.

Dani8 02-27-17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1657689)
What country are you in? I forgot (so many new users) but I think the more opinions, the better. I like the idea of a "General Travel Experience".. I've found that some people look for stereotypes to validate what they already believe in, or what someone else believes in.

Then again, I'm sure people can come up with generalizations based on eye color or something else that has little meaning.... I think someone's "Top 10" movies says a lot more about someone than the spot their ancestors had sex.
Done. Thanks, Matt.

Yoda 02-27-17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1657891)
Wow I didnt realise you put that much work into it. I thought that was all a smooth run.
To be fair, it would probably be 80% as good if I put in less than half the effort, but I find myself almost constitutionally incapable of doing that. For now, at least.

Dani8 02-27-17 04:26 PM

If you enjoy it that's what counts. I certainly enjoyed listening to it.

Yoda 02-27-17 04:27 PM

Thank you. :) You can thank our tremendous guests for that. Those two each forget more about movies than I'll ever know.

Dani8 02-27-17 04:29 PM

I'm disappointed Leslie didnt make an appearance.

Joel 03-03-17 07:21 PM

I'm new here, just signed up a couple days ago. I'm curious as to how to post full sized images, like in the "What movie are you watching tonight" thread. I plan on doing some reviews and I'd like to include some stills etc between paragraphs, if I'm able. Of course, I don;t want to overload, either, so if it's overkill, one picture a thread will be fine.:)

Yoda 03-03-17 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joel (Post 1661271)
I'm new here, just signed up a couple days ago. I'm curious as to how to post full sized images, like in the "What movie are you watching tonight" thread. I plan on doing some reviews and I'd like to include some stills etc between paragraphs, if I'm able. Of course, I don;t want to overload, either, so if it's overkill, one picture a thread will be fine.:)
A couple ways. Simplest way to to copy the URL in an IMG tag, like this (without asterisks):

[IMG*]http://www.somesite.com/image.jpg[/IMG*]

If you don't have the URL for an image (because, say, it's on your hard drive), you can upload it somewhere. Either to a third party site (I recommend www.imgur.com), or to our site by clicking on the Manage Attachments button (or the paperclip icon).

If you upload it to our site, note that it'll just show up as a thumbnail. There is another tag for embedding that automatically, too, but it's a bit more involved, and I'm working on a way of making it automatic, so for now, might be best to go with the above options.

Hope that helps. If not, feel free to ask for elaboration on any point. :)

Joel 03-03-17 07:37 PM

Very cool, thank man! I appreciate it!

Going forward, I'm sure I'll figure out how to keep my posts efficient, too.
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1661273)
A couple ways. Simplest way to to copy the URL in an IMG tag, like this (without asterisks):

[IMG*]http://www.somesite.com/image.jpg[/IMG*]

If you don't have the URL for an image (because, say, it's on your hard drive), you can upload it somewhere. Either to a third party site (I recommend www.imgur.com), or to our site by clicking on the Manage Attachments button (or the paperclip icon).

If you upload it to our site, note that it'll just show up as a thumbnail. There is another tag for embedding that automatically, too, but it's a bit more involved, and I'm working on a way of making it automatic, so for now, might be best to go with the above options.

Hope that helps. If not, feel free to ask for elaboration on any point. :)

Dani8 03-03-17 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joel (Post 1661281)
Very cool, thank man! I appreciate it!

Going forward, I'm sure I'll figure out how to keep my posts efficient, too.

I'm new s well. Takes some fancy footwork to figure out a new format if you're used to something different but it's very smooth once you work your way around. Hola. Dive in.

:up: They're very helpful around here when you have newb question.

Joel 03-03-17 08:23 PM

Very cool, thanks for that! I will. See you around :)

Dani8 03-04-17 04:30 PM

@Yoda

Something glitching for me right now. No biggy but just to let you know - when I see someone hs made a new post in a thread eg pets, new post by a different member, when I click on it it's my post.

Dani8 03-04-17 05:48 PM

Not happening now. Must have been a one off. Just for your info, happened simultaneously with 3 or so threads on the main menu (for me). Yes I had refreshed the page. Not sure what happened.

Yoda 03-04-17 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1661770)
@Yoda

Something glitching for me right now. No biggy but just to let you know - when I see someone hs made a new post in a thread eg pets, new post by a different member, when I click on it it's my post.
Which specific link are we talking? Because it could be literally half a dozen: the links in Now Playing, the ones next to the forums, the ones you see from New Posts (and one those, either the title OR two different arrow icons). Also need to know if it's desktop or mobile. Thanks in advance. :)

Screenshot works well, if that's easier, but if not a description (as pedantic as possible!) would be fine.

Dani8 03-04-17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1661827)
Which specific link are we talking? Because it could be literally half a dozen: the links in Now Playing, the ones next to the forums, the ones you see from New Posts (and one those, either the title OR two different arrow icons). Also need to know if it's desktop or mobile. Thanks in advance. :)

Screenshot works well, if that's easier, but if not a description (as pedantic as possible!) would be fine.

It was in main menu. I'll try to be a pedant and get this description right without hijacking (sorry I dont know how to take screenshots - remember, Yods? Techno moron here).

Scrolling down the main menu I saw *name and avatar* of Jo Bloggs saying that person had posted in the pet thread so I clicked on last post and it took me to my post, which was the last post.

Make sense? It also happened in a few other threads up the board I had recently posted in.

So eg, you post in this thread as an answer to me, I then reply. Then in 2 minutes time I see that dteam has made a comment, but when I click to view my post is the last one.

I hope that clarifies. I wasnt bothered - just letting you know.

Yoda 03-04-17 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1661834)
It was in main menu. I'll try to be a pedant and get this description right without hijacking (sorry I dont know how to take screenshots - remember, Yods? Techno moron here).

Scrolling down the main menu I saw *name and avatar* of Jo Bloggs saying that person had posted in the pet thread so I clicked on last post and it took me to my post, which was the last post.

Make sense? It also happened in a few other threads up the board I had recently posted in.
By main menu and "name and avatar," do you mean one of these links on the right, IE:: "Recast the 1995 Batman"?

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1661834)
So eg, you post in this thread as an answer to me, I then reply. Then in 2 minutes time I see that dteam has made a comment, but when I click to view my post is the last one.
Was it possibly just the last one on the page, and his comment had spilled over to a new page?

There is a slight problem sometimes with that link taking you to an older post, and not the new one, because it hasn't properly registered when your last visit was, but it sounds like you're saying something different: that yours was literally the last post. If that's the case, the only other thing I can think of is that the main page you were on might have been opened earlier, when his was the last post, but by the time you clicked it, yours was. Unless you can be sure it wasn't left open and come back to.

Dani8 03-04-17 06:25 PM

Yeah so if I now reply to Cap in batman recasting, I see my name and avatar. 5 minutes later I will see eg your name and avatar, but you havent replied. My post is the last one.

It happened when that spammer was on here earlier and I thought maybe I got a bug when I reported his money mking thread.

Yoda 03-04-17 06:28 PM

You'll see my name and avatar but I haven't replied? That...seems impossible, to the point at which I'm wondering if we're actually talking about the same link any more.

Dani8 03-04-17 06:30 PM

Hang on I;ll go back to pets and see if the person had replied but earlier, but I didnt recognise their name. Back in a jiffy.

Dani8 03-04-17 06:33 PM

Nup it's not there. So is it possible someone posted a reply but then deleted between me seeing their avatar and going to the thread? Maybe that's all it was, but it happened in few other threads as well.

I swear, I'm not insane, and I dont eat magic mushrooms :)

Yoda 03-04-17 07:14 PM

If it happened several times in a short period, that'd be unlikely, but possible, I guess.

Let me know if it happens again. It sounds like such a huge error that it would've come up by now, which makes me think there's just a miscommunication going on between us.

Dani8 03-04-17 07:31 PM

Will do. I think you get what I was trying to explain in my bumbling manner. I'll just blame the demented pug for now. �� supposed to be a thumbsup.

Oh nd I was using my laptop, not my mobile. I don't post from my mobile usually. Only that day I tested something for you

Jeff Costello 07-30-17 06:46 PM

@Yoda

How can I delete/deactivate my account ? I've searched through User CP and can't seem to find that option anywhere.

Yoda 07-30-17 07:12 PM

There isn't an option for that. If someone doesn't want to use an account any more, than can just stop. We don't sell anyone's email, so if someone unsubscribes from their threads (you can do it with one click) and selects the option in their profile not to receive the newsletter, they won't hear anything from us.

gbgoodies 08-04-17 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1744849)
There isn't an option for that. If someone doesn't want to use an account any more, than can just stop. We don't sell anyone's email, so if someone unsubscribes from their threads (you can do it with one click) and selects the option in their profile not to receive the newsletter, they won't hear anything from us.

Does this site have a newsletter?

mark f 08-04-17 05:41 AM

It did.

Yoda 08-04-17 08:13 AM

We still down send out a few mailings a year, but these days it's usually reminders for Oscar stuff.

We used to put together something more elaborate, but I think most of the people who were interested were visiting regularly enough that they knew about most of the stuff inside, anyway. Might try to send something semi-sporadically going forward, though.

Chypmunk 08-04-17 08:38 AM

Can I respectfully suggest you do it sporadically - can't stand half measures really :)

Dannii 08-04-17 02:59 PM

I have a question 😁... Am i still considered to be a newby after 3 months of being a member?

Yoda 08-04-17 03:06 PM

Tough question. Depends on who you ask, since there's no standard definition. To people who've been around ~6 months, probably not. To people who've been around for years, probably!

Dannii 08-04-17 03:13 PM

Good answer! 😁

Camo 08-04-17 03:16 PM

You are a newbie until you've (probably briefly) got on Camo's good side. You sent a Movie Stars List so you have been promoted to Lance Corporal.

Dannii 08-04-17 03:23 PM

I shall be now known as Lance Corporal Dannii from now on! Thanks Camo😁

Yam12 08-04-17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1747763)
You are a newbie until you've (probably briefly) got on Camo's good side. You sent a Movie Stars List so you have been promoted to Lance Corporal.
I've been here for almost 6 months and have also sent in a list of movie stars. What rank am I?

Camo 08-04-17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yam12 (Post 1747900)
I've been here for almost 6 months and have also sent in a list of movie stars. What rank am I?
You managed to hunt me down on Letterboxd before i had the link in my sig so you're an: Elite Scout!

Yam12 08-04-17 05:26 PM

Cheers mate, will be sure to brag about that to everyone I meet

Camo 08-04-17 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yam12 (Post 1747906)
Cheers mate, will be sure to brag about that to everyone I meet
When you put it on your CV, specify no reference calls to me after 7PM.