The United States of Leland

→ in
Tools    

The United States of Leland

Has any one seen this yet? If not check it out. I just watched it yesterday, and thought it was incredible.

Basically it's about this teenager, Lelan P. Fitzgerald (Ryan Gosling), who for some reason kills this mentally handicapped kid, and what happens to him and the families surrounding the incident in the aftermath. The story partly unfolds through Lelan's conversations with his teacher in prison played by Don Cheadle, who is trying to get the real story out of Leland so as to write a book about him.

The film deals with some serious topics like how important the role of parenthood and guardianship (as well as guidance) is for growing people. This is shown through Leland's non-existant relationship with his father (Kevin Spacey), the relationships that develop while he's in prison between him and the teacher, and also between Leland and another troubled young man. Another issue brought up is how we deal with mistakes in our past, and whether it is enough for us just to recognize the difference between right and wrong of those mistakes. Is it even possible to make right the things which we've done wrong? What constitutes right and wrong? Is it right for us the audience to sympathize with Leland after he has committed such a horrific act? Even if he can't even explain why?

Great perfomances all around from every principal actor in the film. This includes Chris Klein. Yes, that's right the guy who was in American Pie 1 & 2 and starred in Rollerball. I didn't even think it was humanly possible for this to occur, but director Matthew Ryan Hoge squeezed one out of him. All in all I thought it was terrific. Beware, though, this one's a cryer. I was a mess after watching this yesterday, and I never expected it.

I havent even heard of this movie, did you see it on DVD? Than ks for the review.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by nebbit
I havent even heard of this movie, did you see it on DVD? Than ks for the review.
you should, Nebbs. personally, i loved it. the actors are just great and the story, much criticized by some newspapers (in Chitown for instance), is sad and beautiful. i'll recommend it any moment. watch it, Nebbs, and tell us what you thought of it!!

i saw it on DVD some three months ago, in Germany, so it must have been quite a longer time available in the US, i guess.

and great review Project, i'd add: Jena Malone!!!!!!!!!!!!! so great!! (since Donnie Darko, i just love her...)

Yeah nebbs, I saw it on DVD, but I hadn't realized it was out when I saw it at the video store, so I was psyched to pick it up.

history *is* moralizing
i'm amazed there are not hundred MoFos gathering here to discuss that great interesting beautiful sad movie.........
where are y'all????????????????

If we keep bumping it they'll see it.

history *is* moralizing
PEOPLE meaning MoFos; WE NEED YOU HERE

i mean, Mayhem and me we loved it, doesn't mean there must be a status quo on the question....... plus if you have positive comments to make, compliments too are always welcome!!)

Thanks Project... great review... I'm adding this one to my "to see list"...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)