The Good, Bad, & Ugly: Movie Sequels

Tools    

I admit, some sequels are fine, but Hollywood can go overboard sometimes. I mean, every blockbuster doesn't need a follow-up. Come on.

What do you think were some of the best and not-so-best sequels you've seen?

Rock God
hey, you might be interested in the have studio execs gone crazy? thread in the general board. it's basically about originality and stuff like that. sequels are so popular because they are a safer bet and the script doesn't need to be that great. i think sometimes sequels can be very good (the empire strikes back) but a lot of the time, they're just so-so.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Wow, I'm glad someone started this thread.

Sequels can be really great, if they tie in story from the first one, and has some returning cast members. Take Mission Impossible 2. The only similarity it had to Mission Impossible was that Tom Cruise was back playing Ethan Hunt. Other than that, no reference to M:I which wasn't that good to begin with. This wasn't that bad of a movie considering what it had to work with.

Toy Story 2 has to be one of the best sequels ever made. It stuck with the story and held the audience in just as much as the first one and probably held them in even more.

The Star Wars trilogy(well not anymore) has to be the best sequel story made. Stuck with story and characters.

sequels are so popular because they are a safer bet and the script doesn't need to be that great
This is something studios need to reconsider. Yeah the first did good, but a second installment isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. Studios thinking that a story for a sequel is something easy to come up with is one reason why sequels usually suck. No one wants to see a movie that they've already seen so to speak.

Would you pay money to see a movie that had the same premise, story, characters and a general feel that all felt like you've seen it before? To make a sequel you need to at least incorporate the characters in it, if not then explain why. You need to setup a brand new story that hasn't been seen before(this is the time to be original). As long as you have a new story and same characters(maybe even new ones) then the movie should do just as good maybe even better.

Why studios can't do this all the time is beyond me. I mean this is something fairly simple to do, and they spend all this time just trying to think up where they're gonna throw buddy wackitt next.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg