The Night Watch

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Spoilers of sorts will be below. If you'd like to read a bit without spoilers, scroll to the larger titled text section.

Let me just start off with saying holy****ing****.

"This is the Night Watch, all step out of the gloom."

I heard about this movie the other day on Ain't it Cool news, someone had written in to say that it was a Russian answer to Star Wars and the Matrix, but with vampires and witches and such. Well, that is pretty much what it is.

The subtitles for it need a little working up as some words and explaninations are probably off, but this is the basic jist of the movie. Knowing this before hand will probably clear alot of stuff up, I didn't really piece it all together til the end. Not to say it is vague until the end, I think it is just hurt by the language barrier.

It is a little hard to understand everything in the movie, and I tried typing up an explanination, but it sounded retarded. So I'm just going to include the description from the Russian site I ordered the DVD from:

Everyone knows that it is dangerous in the streets at night. But in this case it is not about criminals and maniacs. When the night falls, and forces of evil rule undividedly, there swarm those who cannot be met during the daytime – dark mages, vampires and other unholy. Their power is great and they cannot be vanquished by an ordinary weapon. Following traces of the “nocturnal hunters” go those, who were for centuries battle dwellings of gloom and attaining victory, undeviatingly following The Pact, concluded thousands of years ago between The Light Ones and The Dark Ones… Their name is Night Watch. Their purpose – maintaining the balance between Good and Evil, breach of which leads to destruction, wars, revolutions, universal catastrophes. Every bad human act – cheating, treachery, murder, as well as a good one is put on a scale panning it to one side or another. That is why powers of Light and powers of Darkness are forced to exist in two worlds: real and the beyond, trying to either impel one to commit a sin or deter one from it...

So basically there are the two sides, Light and Dark, and they have been battling each other for thousands of years, until a truce is made in which neither side will act without the permission of a regulatory agency of sorts, called the Night Watch. The Night Watch is a group of...lets just say non-humans, who monitor the night and will step in if either the light or dark side cross their boundaries into the human world. Make sense? Probably not, so here is a scenario from the movie to shed some light on it.

Vampires are not allowed to feed on humans unless given strict permission to. One such vampire falls in love with a human girl and asks the Night Watch permission to convert her to vampirism. The Night Watch grants his wish by "licensing" her out to him. She becomes a vampire, but her husband guy, the guy who converted her, teaches her to "call", attarct someone innocent to her in order to bite him. This is a direct violation of the treaty, the Night Watch notices this happens as they keep a close eye on everything that happens in both worlds. Because the man broke the law by teaching her to call and lures a boy to their hideout, they are both saught after and are "sentenced" to death.

Anyways, thats just to explain the equilibrium the Night Watch maintain. The legend goes that their truce will maintain forever because for any person that converts to the dark side there will be one who converts to the light side, always balancing each other out. But it is prophesized that there will be one known as "the Other" who will become aware of either side and make a choice to join one or the other, thus unbalancing the equation and give one side the advantage necessary to win the war.

This installment of the series, because it is a trilogy, focuses on a few events. One is the boy who is being lured to the new vampiress. The other is a girl who has somehow had a powerful curse cast on herself causing anything she interacts with to die. She is called a funnel because she serves as "a funnel of damnation". She does a variety of things, but all ending with the culmination of her funnel in the form of a tornado, at least in the real world. In the beyond the tornado is made up of crows, not wind, which is pretty ****ing cool.

It really is just a ****ing cool movie. When I first heard about it I heard it was a Russian Star Wars or Matrix and that it is. This first installment may be kind of strange as it introduces wild notions and ideas that are incredibly overwhelming and complex at first, but by the end of the movie you will be left wanting to know what happens. The Other is found and does indeed join a side, setting up the next installment of the series, The Day Watch.

Russian movies are nuts.

There is a trailer of sorts, with terrible sound, out there:[url=http://www-download.1tv.ru/sales/chor_34.asf>Crappy sound, but still decent.[/url]

As for an actual commentary on to the quality of the film itself, above just what it is about. It really is just awesome. There are huge portions of this movie that you will swallow down with your jaw agap.

The story is engrossing. The characters are intriguing. The mythos is fascinating. The action is fast paced and intense. And the execution of it all is rather flawless.

I don't have a standard of Russian science fantasy to compare this to, but the effects in it are nothing at all to scoff at. They aren't at the absolute level of the American Fantasy and SciFi epics, but they deffinetely do not dissapoint.

The thing that hooked me to this movie isn't the effects though. It isn't the action. It isn't the gore, and we all know I love me some blood on film. It is how this movie some how manages to envoke in you, simultaneously, the same feelings that watching Star Wars, the Matrix, Lord of the Rings, even Harry Potter, do. When a character gets hit or their journey gets set back, you feel it. When they advance a step, you are rejoicing. When they smile, which isn't particularily often, you smile.

At this point you can't say that it is better than any of the epics it will be compared to, but it deffinetely shows a ton of potential. Plus it is just freeking cool!

I'm going to watch it again as soon as I get the chance, which may be today. I need to get my hands on the book, because I am dying to know what happens with the Day Watch.

For anyone who wants a bit of comparison as to how popular this movie is in Russia (I got this from Ain't it Cool):

OK, just what they mean by Russian blockbuster? Well, it made over a 15 mil $ just in Russia, which is more than Gigli or Pluto Nash made worldwide, plus you've got to remember than the ticket prices in Russia are pretty low, and the bears get to see the movies for free... I dunno what is more telling - the fact that The Night Watch outperformed The Lord of the Rings in Tolkien-crazed Russia, or that according to Moscow newspaper, babushkas from the neighborhood watch are scaring the **** out of drunks and perverts in the park with their new battle-cry "This is the NIGHT WATCH! Everybody, please step out of the TWILIGHT!"

And this is my BOOMstick!
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ead.php?t=8376

I think you'll find this interesting.

I actually didn't really like the movie that much. It was ok, not great.

Really, then why the: "If it comes out here in Canada, I'll defenitely go see it again." in the other thread?

I thought it rocked. It wasn't anything groundbreaking or revolutionary...but it was deffinetely entertaining.

Thanks for the review OG - I will keep my eye out for this one.

Originally Posted by OG-
Really, then why the: "If it comes out here in Canada, I'll defenitely go see it again." in the other thread?

I thought it rocked. It wasn't anything groundbreaking or revolutionary...but it was deffinetely entertaining.
I'll go to see it just so that I can brag about how much Russian movies are better than American (even if that's not the case )

So I just watched it again and....my opinion has changed.

The movie is stil cool...but far from good.

I was trying to explain what was going on in the begining to Mark and the **** I was spouting out really didn't make any sense...so maybe I am rooting for an English remake (not redub), because I love the concept...but the freeking Russian makes it way too hard to understand what is going on.

I regret buying the DVD. Hell, all the menus are in Russian.

Sucks eh. That's the worst thing about watching foreign movies, when translated, the dialogue loses it's wit and humour.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Originally Posted by OG-
I regret buying the DVD. Hell, all the menus are in Russian.
Just watched the trailer and i was impressed, so if the dvd has english subs or dubbing i'll gladly take it off your hands if you want to get rid. (and the price is right).

OG:

Yeah... I watched the movie twice and if I hadn't read the book, I'd be hard pressed to figure out what exactly was going on. Although the movie is quite different from the book, it folllows more or less the same guideline. Some of the scenes were changed though. In any case, the book (naturally) goes a lot more in-depth into the workings of the Night and Day Watches, etc., gives a lot more background on the charaters and processes involved, and so on. On the flip side, my wife was just as confused by LoTR as she was by NW - she's not a fantasy fan so she doesn't know what to expect and what laws govern most fantasy.

In any case, the point I am trying to make is that you got the general gist of the story. Its about Good and Evil, but the point its trying to make is that Good ain't perfect, and Evil ain't that bad at the end of the day either. Its all Grey. Hence - Twilight (Dusk?) watch - the third instalment. You could say Day and Night watch people concentrate a wide spectrum of emotions, they are sort of "suprahuman" in this aspect, if you will, where anyone and their grandma could, in the end, identify with one or two traits of the good and the " bad" guys.

The movie I thought makes a rather botched attempt to tell the story in the book, which is odd, since the adaption was done by the author himself. Nevertheless, I thoughroughly enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone who is a bit tired of the generally very predictable Holywood fare. Its got its quirks, of course, but I think for most non-Russians it should be quite interesting. In the end, even if you hate it, what do you lose? Two hours of your time and a few bucks for the ticket/rental. Worth the potential satisfaction, I think.

-DS

Yah I agree, there is no harm in watching it but I think the poor efforts to over come the language barrier really hurt the watching experience. Even on the retail DVD there were typos in the subtitles, hehe. Just curious, are you a native or fluent Russian speaker?

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Just watched it..... was prety impressed. Decent story and effects, slightly weird and a tad confusing but overall pretty damn good. Looking forward to the sequel.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by DrgnSprt
OG:

Yeah... I watched the movie twice and if I hadn't read the book, I'd be hard pressed to figure out what exactly was going on. Although the movie is quite different from the book, it folllows more or less the same guideline. Some of the scenes were changed though. In any case, the book (naturally) goes a lot more in-depth into the workings of the Night and Day Watches, etc., gives a lot more background on the charaters and processes involved, and so on. On the flip side, my wife was just as confused by LoTR as she was by NW - she's not a fantasy fan so she doesn't know what to expect and what laws govern most fantasy.

In any case, the point I am trying to make is that you got the general gist of the story. Its about Good and Evil, but the point its trying to make is that Good ain't perfect, and Evil ain't that bad at the end of the day either. Its all Grey. Hence - Twilight (Dusk?) watch - the third instalment. You could say Day and Night watch people concentrate a wide spectrum of emotions, they are sort of "suprahuman" in this aspect, if you will, where anyone and their grandma could, in the end, identify with one or two traits of the good and the " bad" guys.

The movie I thought makes a rather botched attempt to tell the story in the book, which is odd, since the adaption was done by the author himself. Nevertheless, I thoughroughly enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone who is a bit tired of the generally very predictable Holywood fare. Its got its quirks, of course, but I think for most non-Russians it should be quite interesting. In the end, even if you hate it, what do you lose? Two hours of your time and a few bucks for the ticket/rental. Worth the potential satisfaction, I think.

-DS
Nice first post.

*grin*

A bit convoluted, now that I've read it again.

-DS

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...t/night_watch/

New trailer for the theatrical American release. It's actually not a bad trailer, but then I remember the reason why I just donated this movie to my local store (it makes no ********* sense). They have hired a new screenwriter to write the subtitles, so maybe it'll make more sense now, but I still have my doubts. And there is something new about the actual presentation of the subtitles, no clue what that is though.

They better have changed alot or it's still not gonna making any damned sense.