Barton Fink

→ in
Tools    

Hi, my name is bigvalbowski and I'm a Coen Brothers-aholic.

Only the Hudsucker Proxy and Blood Simple stand in the way from me seeing their entire cinematic career. Miller's Crossing, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona would be how I would place their films in order of brilliance. But after watching Barton Fink there is a new number one. And I don't even have much clue what the damn thing is about.

Barton Fink starts out conventionally. A playwright(Barton Fink played by John Turtorro) leaves 1941 New York to start a career in Hollywood. Here he hits writer's block. That's the basic outline of the script until it veers suddenly into a much darker and confusing tale.

****SPOILERS****

Is the Hotel Earle hell? What's with the wallpaper? How does the fire light up when John Goodman runs down the hall? What's in the box? Is it her head or is that too obvious? Who killed her? Why does the film suddenly become about anti-semitism towards the end when before there was no mention of Fink's judaism? Or did I miss a mention at the start? Are Fink and Charlie (John Goodman) actually one and the same person? Or are they lovers? Explain the shoes.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

My mouth salivates at the thought of a film leaving so many questions open. I know the answers can be implied somehow.

I liked The Hudsucker Proxy. It wasn't their strongest work, of course (nowhere near), but I enjoyed it a great deal.

I've not yet seen Barton Fink, though (it's on my list).

Raising Arizona was the first Coen Brothers movie I saw. I was 15 and my then-girlfriend and I went to see it (at Western Plaza Mall in Amarillo, Texas), and I was just blown away. It will always be my favorite of the Coen Bros. movies (though Fargo, Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, O Brother are close behind with Hudsucker right behind those).

Wish I could help with the questions, but I'll bet even if I had seen the movie, I wouldn't know.

I enjoyed this movie very much. I have no idea the answers to your questions, but that has a lot to do with why i like it. Steve Buscemi freaks me out. "My name is Chet."

Anyways, I think the Coens are second only to Martin Scorsese in terms of American directors I'd watch under any circumstances. I really dig their humor, I guess. I don't know. Here's how I see their films, best to worst (although they've never made a bad film):

Fargo
Miller's Crossing
Blood Simple
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy