What's in a name?

Tools    

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet..."
-Juliet (Shakespeare 'R&J' II. ii)

Most recently I have become obsessed with names and their meanings- which leads me to this little thread. What does your user name mean (to you)? What do you intend to say about yourself? And why did you pick it as your user name? I am not sure if this has been done before, but I am terribbly curious and bored at the moment.

As for me, 'allthatglitters' refers to a poem 'written' by Bilbo Baggins in J.R.R Tolkien's 'LOTR', in the book the poem refers to Dunadan (Bilbo's name for Aragorn)

'All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost,
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed will be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.'

Allthatglitters is my handle at other sites as well, at first I wanted it to be allthatisgold- but then I decided I liked allthatglitters much better.

Since I originally used it at a LOTR site- alot of people knew what I was referring to. As with most people after a while once you get to know me I am pretty predicatble- but at first your not sure. With me I have the experience of people looking at me and thinking I am too young, or quiet (yes most of my friends thought I was shy and quiet ) and then some people I talk too think the opposite. In any other person it could lead to an identity crisis.

Also I firmly believe what the phrase says in that first line, that everybody has a secret hidden specialness in them no matter what they look or act like you just need to wait it out to see it.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

I ate all your bees.
Nice Thread I wish I had something profound to say about my name but I merely picked it because it sounds cool. Sidewinder is a name I tend to see in reference to Army Nicknames. The other reason I chose it was because 'Bill From Finance' didn't fit as far as I can remember. Bill From Finance is the name that I use on most online forums. None-the-less it was interesting to here your explanation for your username. I would also be interested to see what a lot of Mofo Members names are derived from!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Wow, that's quite a story about your name!
Mine is going to sound sorta blah after that...
"Samsonite Delilah" is in a line from John Leguizamo's one man show. It's a name his father called his mother during a fight, and I thought it was hilarious and a pretty nice play on words.

Seldom Heard Mostly Seen
My name is supposed to be angelwingsdevilhorns, but alas I did not realize that it did not all fit when I signed up. It was a nickname one of my friends gave me when I claimed to be a complete angel. He told me I had angel wings and devil horns. It is an accurate depiction of my self. I seem quite sweet and good on the outside, a golden haired angel, but on the inside, well, you never seem to know.

I just love the first halloween so i picked MichaelMyers

There are at least two existing big ol' threads on this subject: HERE and HERE.

But before this thread is locked, once again....William Holden played Pike Bishop in "Bloody" Sam Peckinpah's Resvisionist Western masterpiece The Wild Bunch (1969) [see my avatar].
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And just so you know, allthatglitters, the line "All that glitters is not gold" did not originate with J.R.R. Tolkien. You can find it in Billy Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice (II, vii, 65), for one. It's an idiom that was popular before Shakespeare's day, as versions of the line also can be found in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales and Edmund Spencer's The Faerie Queene. It has hung around for centuries now - Tolkien or not.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And just so you know, allthatglitters, the line "All that glitters is not gold" did not originate with J.R.R. Tolkien. You can find it in Billy Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice (II, vii, 65), for one. It's an idiom that was popular before Shakespeare's day, as versions of the line also can be found in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales and Edmund Spencer's The Faerie Queene. It has hung around for centuries now - Tolkien or not.
::smartgasm::
Check out the brains on that guy...

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Wow! I did not know that- must go and get 'The Merchant of Venice' then. That is so cool, so my nickname from my favorite author in the world really came from my other favorite playwright/author in the world. There's a reason why their my favorites.

BTW- sorry to do a repeat. I should of checked it out first- my bad.